Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Towing a 4cyl Equinox 4 down
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a 4cyl Equinox 4 down

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/17 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, GM finally got around to acknowledging there may be a problem with towing their Equinox and Terrain vehicles four down. In the past, all one had to do was put her in neutral and pull the #32 fuse or switch the fuse whichever was easiest to do. I elected to switch that fuse. Because of the 'death wobble' experienced by many pulling these vehicles, including yours truly, GM now has modified the towing instructions. This modification applies only to those vehicles with the electronic steering. The 6 cyl vehicles have hydraulic steering.

Towing Procedure
To tow the vehicle from the front with all four wheels on the ground:
Important: If the vehicle is towed without performing each of the steps listed under “Dinghy Towing,” the automatic transmission could be damaged. Be sure to follow all steps of the dinghy towing procedure prior to and after towing the vehicle.
Important: If 105?km/h (65?mph) is exceeded while towing the vehicle, it could be damaged. Never exceed 105?km/h (65?mph) while towing the vehicle.
Note: It is no longer required to remove fuse 32.
1. Position the vehicle to be towed and secure it to the towing vehicle.
2. Remove fuse 16, the Antilock Brake System Module fuse, from the engine compartment fuse block and store it in a safe location.
3. Turn the ignition key to ON/RUN, and shift the transmission to D (Drive). Note: disregard “Service Steering” message on IP cluster display.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
5. Turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY.
6. Turn all accessories off.
To prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is being towed, connect vehicle battery to auxiliary power.

I purchased a simple battery charger from RVI Industries for $50 and hooked it up this afternoon. I will explore how I'm going to hook up a switch so I don't have to physically remove fuse 16 in the future. Once I've done that and I've towed a few thousand miles, I'll post the results. Once I've finished the install tomorrow, I'll post some pictures. The towing plug installed by Monaco contains the necessary 12VDC pin so that helped.....Dennis

* This post was edited 06/11/18 10:32am by Executive *

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dreamrver

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good info thanks dennis

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dennis for posting this...many people are using both 2018 and older Equinoxes.....and my Saturn although in perfect condition and it tows beautifully (plus I have a Chevy Sonic as a daily driver)...will probably need to be replaced next year due to age..and the Sonic is just too small to be a toad based upon our use of it when we get to where we are going...So I'll turn the two cars into one. The equinox diesel has my interest since I do a great deal of highway driving. The equinox diesel according to the owners manual can be towed as an AWD 4 down..whereas none of the gas models with AWD can be towed 4 down.

Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“This modification applies only to those vehicles with the electronic transmissions. The 6 cyl vehicles have hydraulic trannies”

Just a clarification, do you mean electronic power steering versus the hydraulic power steering in the six-cylinder model?

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought an Equinox to tow. Good info. I'll add a pointer to this post in the Equinox thread in Dinghy Towing.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/17 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I own an Equinox and love it. But I don't tow it. However, I will print this off and put it in my owners manual for future reference (just in case). Thanks for the information. I've been trying to keep up on these Equinox towing threads since I own one. (By the way ... the Equinox really is the car to love! The moment we laid eyes on it, and from the very first drive, we've 100% enjoyed ours! Not only comfortable to drive, but comfortable for the passenger and even back seat passengers! No wonder this vehicle is so popular now!)

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Just bought an Equinox to tow. Good info. I'll add a pointer to this post in the Equinox thread in Dinghy Towing.

Thanks, Jerry. (head slap for me) [emoticon]

Ole B

Apache Junction, Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/17 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind this procedure is only for 2017 and older Equonix. The new 2018,which I now have has a new procedure.
1. Push the start button, with key in possession.
2. Shift to park.
3. push start button to turn car off and into acc mode.
4. Make sure you are in acc. ,may have to push button twice.
5. Turn all Accessories off you can see. (I include the lights)
6. NOTE: The center display screen you will NOT be able to turn off. This screen will turn off after about 30 min. GM is revising the manual to also state you need to install a power line from the coach to charge the car battery.
No fuses are pulled, Gm says power is needed for the electric steering.

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gm says power is needed for the electric steering.

The electric steering is what causes the death wobble and you have to stop for it to reset...Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee had this and supposedly you have to spring for a new wire harness...Hopefully they will get it straightened out by next year.

Meanwhile my Saturn is just dandy...I think I'll be keeping it longer...

Nutinelse2do

On the Road Where the Weather Suits Our Clothes

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bullydogs1 wrote:

The equinox diesel according to the owners manual can be towed as an AWD 4 down..whereas none of the gas models with AWD can be towed 4 down.

Where are you getting this information?
Everything I have read says ALL Equinox’s can be towed 4 down. Please post a link or something to support your claim. Thanks

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - KSDP 3912... Cummins 350ISL..Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2017 Chevy Equinox LT
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a 4cyl Equinox 4 down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS