Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: 36 ft FW vs 30 ft TT backing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 36 ft FW vs 30 ft TT backing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

A 36 foot fiver would go anywhere a 30 foot tag would go.

X2 on this. I haves backed our 33 ft TT into a 40 ft site at a 90 degree angle no problem. .., it just takes practice and patience. I usually position my wife to stand on my pivot spot. If I back over her I know I turned too sharp

OutdoorPhotographer

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just moved to 5er in December and it's kicking my butt learning to cut soon enough and running out of clearance on front of truck. Very frustrating since I've been backing various bumper pulls since I was 14 (on a tractor). Wife is learning to give better directions but hasn't figured out I'm giving all I can and it just takes longer to react.

I've never feared a spot I couldn't back in but I'm choosing carefully for now with a fifth wheel.

Can you get a good look on Google Earth to see about room for the front of the truck?

2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some places, google earth gives a pretty good idea of what the spot looks like, also gives a little perspective to what the road configuration is. trees in the way of course don't help, but check it out. some times it helps. Just take your time, bumps, bruises, dents and scratches, we all get em. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have much trouble backing my boat, it's 18ft from the trailer ball to the front trailer axle. I'm hoping a 38ft TT wouldn't be that much harder if we go the TT route.

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Backing in a 5th wheel is far easier than a TT if you use the "Z" Method, pulling square up to a site an then trying to back into an site is a disaster waiting to happen ...

You have to get the tail end of the trailer pointed into the site to begin with, if you do this then your on the right track to get the job done, take your time, check your clearance's an back slowly ...

The rule has always been the longer the trailer the easier it is to back because the axles sit back further thus turn slower an give you time to correct when needed ... Good example, try backing up a wagon on the back of your riding lawn mower, then hook up your truck or car to a 30ft trailer of any type, which is easier [emoticon]

Safe travels [emoticon]

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driver training schools for 18 wheelers as well as RV 5th wheel trailers offer several videos on YouTube that offer good advice for backing trailers. They offer right and left side, straight in backing as well as right and left parallel parking. After watching those videos, went to a parking lot and practiced each technique. Now after several years I still remember those techniques and have used all of them at various times and situation. Some of which were deemed near impossible by others. Of course it takes a fair amount of searching in YouTube, but they are available.

BTY I was a prime mover driver in the Army that had to back in howitzers for fire missions and I can assure you that 5th wheel trailers require different experience. All it takes to gain confidence is the proper technique training and practice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 36 ft FW vs 30 ft TT backing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS