Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Truck stops.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Truck stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cbshoestring

Penn Hills. PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, I've been stuck behind truckers who fill up and then disappear for 15-20 minutes too. So not too much patience with them either. I fill up and then move, and I expect them to do the same, and many don't.



Another driver taking their 30 minute break on the fuel Island [emoticon]
It is the current joke, based on TRUTH, in all truck stops.

NOT an RVing issue. However, since there is much talk about fueling/sleeping in truck stops....be WARNED.


As of December 18th, 2017 the majority of trucking companies have switched to Electronic Log Books as mandated by law. Many fleets have had them installed in the past several years, anticipating the upcoming mandate.

Driver pulls into fuel island with limited, maybe zero, minutes of available drive time. Moving the truck would put him/her in violation, so they get lost in the convenient store.

Seeing more and more trucks on the shoulder with flashers on---not broke down---taking break so the computer doesn't violate them. They push to make the next truck stop/customer/exit...didn't make it. Need to shut down WHEREVER they are to avoid violation.

Guys that use to drive to the customer's lot, now fight for a spot in a truck stop because going to the customer would take 1, 2, 3 minutes longer than the computer will allow.

The ELD, in just the past month, has made truck stops even more overcrowded then they were. Busy areas (most of the east coast)now have over half that lot marked as RESERVED. Drivers pay to insure they have a spot when they get there.

FLEET stops---Pilot/flying J, LOWES, T/A, Petro are some of the worst because they offer those fuel discounts-reward points.

I would find a regular gas station, or Mom & Pop truck stop to fuel. Sleep in Camp grounds---yes truckers are aware of Walmart lots.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

Most highway truck stop charge premium for fuel as apposed to station that are a few miles from the high way. However the Pilot/Flying J discount card offers a discount. I installed and secured a 12 gal marine fuel tank in the truck bed for $100 and use a $12 battery operated pump to transfer the fuel. My F350 has a 26 gal tank that usually allows a driving range of 250 miles. The 12 gal tank is available if a fuel stop is unavailable. I had to use it twice in the last 3 years.
This is an excellent illustration of the different way different people use the auxiliary tanks. You can use it for emergencies, or you can use it for convenience, they work either way.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DReisinger

Jensen Beach, Fl.

Full Member

Joined: 03/03/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/18 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure would have liked to have an aux. tank when evacuating from Hurricane Irma, one station only had off road diesel and I was on fumes, they wouldn't willing sell it, I got some sneaky and they gave me hell for it, and they charged me the road diesel price.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

justme wrote:

Most highway truck stop charge premium for fuel as apposed to station that are a few miles from the high way. However the Pilot/Flying J discount card offers a discount. I installed and secured a 12 gal marine fuel tank in the truck bed for $100 and use a $12 battery operated pump to transfer the fuel. My F350 has a 26 gal tank that usually allows a driving range of 250 miles. The 12 gal tank is available if a fuel stop is unavailable. I had to use it twice in the last 3 years.
This is an excellent illustration of the different way different people use the auxiliary tanks. You can use it for emergencies, or you can use it for convenience, they work either way.


YEP, here is mine. Only used it once. Stop every 2-250 miles easy off and on the highway. Less hassle less money spent on fancy tank and extra weight being carried. Besides that would put me over my RAWR and I would not be able to justify that with a few on here!

A few bucks here and there are not worth my time or aggravation.

[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford diesel comes with a 35 gallon tank. Mine gets over 20 mpg empty. That is a lot of miles.

I like truck stops and do not see any price issues with them in the West. They have lots of stuff that can be useful on a serious road trip.

DiskDoctr

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2006

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/18 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Ford diesel comes with a 35 gallon tank. Mine gets over 20 mpg empty. That is a lot of miles.

I like truck stops and do not see any price issues with them in the West. They have lots of stuff that can be useful on a serious road trip.


7.3L Diesel Excursions come with 44 gallons [emoticon]

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/06/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

ppine wrote:

Ford diesel comes with a 35 gallon tank. Mine gets over 20 mpg empty. That is a lot of miles.

I like truck stops and do not see any price issues with them in the West. They have lots of stuff that can be useful on a serious road trip.


7.3L Diesel Excursions come with 44 gallons [emoticon]


My 2017 F-350 came with a 48 gallon tank.[emoticon]


2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

justme

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/07/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travlingman wrote:

DiskDoctr wrote:

ppine wrote:

Ford diesel comes with a 35 gallon tank. Mine gets over 20 mpg empty. That is a lot of miles.

I like truck stops and do not see any price issues with them in the West. They have lots of stuff that can be useful on a serious road trip.


7.3L Diesel Excursions come with 44 gallons [emoticon]


My 2017 F-350 came with a 48 gallon tank.[emoticon]



2012 F250/350 Ford SRW short bed 4/4 crew cab comes with a 26 gal fuel tank. The 2018 adds a few gallons, but is still too small for pulling large trailer. Carrying extra fuel is a good thing to do. The newer Fords are great trucks, but somehow they lost it with fuel capacity. In the past they offered saddle tanks, but I don't think they do any more.

okiejoe

Oklahoma City

Senior Member

Joined: 02/27/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most pumps for trucks at truck stops have a larger diameter nozzle to accommodate larger volume of fuel to fill tank faster so don’t use those as the nozzle won’t fit in your fill inlet. Most truck stops have an RV or pickup island or at the auto pumps most diesel pumps are on the outside island

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/08/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

okiejoe wrote:

Most pumps for trucks at truck stops have a larger diameter nozzle to accommodate larger volume of fuel to fill tank faster so don’t use those as the nozzle won’t fit in your fill inlet. Most truck stops have an RV or pickup island or at the auto pumps most diesel pumps are on the outside island


You have a 2013 DuraMax, have you even tried a truck stop nozzle? It WILL fit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Truck stops.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS