Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Towing with a minivan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a minivan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
hommer638

Northern Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi to all on RV.Net. I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna with the tow option that is capable of towing 3500 lbs. I also just purchased (not taken delivery at this point)a 2018 Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ that weighs 2919 lbs empty along with an equalizer weight distribution hitch. I would like to here from anyone who has a similar set-up and how they are making out towing with a minivan. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Lou.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'' be the first to give you the news....hopefully others will chime in and give you better news.

You are going to be over weight...especially over the payload weight of you van. Passengers, (the family, the dog and all your gear, the hitch itself and loaded tongue weight are going to be your problem.
Also dry weight of your new trailer is meaningless...It will be a lot more when you load up for a trip...batteries, propane, food, water, and more stuff.

Again, hopefully others will shoot me down on this.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The MTWR is not an absolete for all conditions ...meaning there are factors that the OEM says must be met in order to have that listed MTWR

Covered in below link....many of the pictures no longer work because of that sites change in their rules...I’ll repost later

Your glove box manual should have a similar chart...with each additional person...their weight reduces the MTWR...ditto cargo, etc

What can I tow with my Sienna?

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

OutdoorPhotographer

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to jump in on bad news but hopefully you can get your money back on the TT. You can only tow a pop-up.

Besides tongue weight and cargo limit, you will have a problem with frontal area. Even your 3,500 lbs is for a boat, pop-up, or flat trailer that doesn't create the wind drag a box trailer does. Most of us prefer to be at 80 % of rating which would 2,800 lbs for you. Again, this would apply to a flat trailer.

2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DTR is right, you are overweight. By the time you factor in the hitch weight, another passenger and a few changes of clothes, you're going to be well over your max.
If you don't have a load of kids and carry VERY LITTLE food or water you'll probably be OK - still over though.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like you will be a couple hundred pounds over in most any usage. I see that it's not a bunkhouse so if you are using alone or as a couples unit, travel with tanks empty, and buy most food and supplies at your destination , you will be close.

Basics to remember, weights that have to be added to what you believe the empty weight to be.
Weight dist hitch about 70 lbs
2 20 lb tanks and propane about 80 lbs
each group 27 battery about 40 lbs
and then your supplies,,,
all clothing, bedding, dishes, camp chairs, coolers all those things add up.
any water you carry 8 lbs per gallon (33 gal fw tank on this trailer)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the doom and gloom posted thus far. I'd say doable but not ideal.
People have done far more with much less and vice versa.
Would not be my first choice, but take er easy and it'll pull that little camper around for a long time. I'd def look into additional trans cooler and idk if they make air shocks or something to help the rear suspension, but see how the wdh loads the van up first.

By not ideal, I mean the van is set up and geared towards people hauling, not having an anchor hooked to it. My comfort level would be inversely proportional to the number of miles towed. Local trips, occasionally, let er rip. Regional trips, long distances, east coast mountains, not so much. Running through the Rockies and up to Alaska....find a better tow rig.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hommer638 wrote:

I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna with the tow option that is capable of towing 3500 lbs. I also just purchased (not taken delivery at this point)a 2018 Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ that weighs 2919 lbs empty along with an equalizer weight distribution hitch.

Unfortunately, no it's not as you need to also account for the weight of passengers and any cargo in the van when towing. This Wolf Pup 16FQ has a GVWR of 3954 lbs which is well beyond the rating for your Sienna. [emoticon] This also doesn't take into account the significant effects of wind resistance at highway speeds which quadruples as road speed doubles. For towing with any minivan you really ought to be considering only low profile trailers like popups or A-frame trailers.

hommer638

Northern Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all that replied. I knew that I would be close for weight.
But it's just the wife and me, no kids, and I was planning in taking out all the rear seats in the van when going on a trip. Even then I think weight wise I will be too close to the limit. I do not like the idea of going on a long trip thinking of what might happen on the road.
So I think we will be shopping for a pickup ether full or mid size.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hommer638 wrote:

I knew that I would be close for weight.

So I think we will be shopping for a pickup ether full or mid size.

With a CCC of just 1000 lbs you can expect that once loaded & ready to camp this trailer's GVW is going to be awfully close to it's GVWR of 3954 lbs. 13% to 14% gross tongue weight to gross weight therefore means you'll be running somewhere in the range of 500 lbs to 550 lbs of gross tongue weight which is really too much for any minivan. [emoticon] If you are entertaining the idea of a better tow vehicle I'd recommend you cut to the chase a go to at least a 1/2 ton truck, most of which when properly equipped can easily tow a travel trailer weighing at least 6000 lbs. Do this and you'll have far more options for what you can tow now and in the future. [emoticon]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a minivan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS