Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Cost of travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Cost of travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Mary Lou

Boerne, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering what costs are like in Canada. Would be our first time out of the country. I use the Allstays app to look for campgrounds. Not sure if they are indicating US dollars or Canadian with their $$$. All info is appreciated. ML

Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most sites we used were in Canadian dollars.
You should use a credit card to get the best exchange rate on date and time used.
We used cash machines to get Canadian money after crossing into our friends to the north. See if your bank has an affilliate in Canada
Fuel costs need to be converted from liters to US gallons and then price converted to US dollars to get a better comparison.
Our last trip through Canada found the converted prices were close to what we were paying in Washington state at the time.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One trick we do is when we travel south is take out USA dollars in lump sums of $500 increments so we only pay the international exchange rate once, instead of using the credit card, and having every transaction charged the rate.
There are a few credit cards I believe that don’t charge the international exchange rate, but my MC isn’t one of them.
Also a lot of places close the the Boarder with the USA will take USA dollars when you pay for something, however you will not get a very good exchange rate.
When my relitives from Oregon visit they change their money into Canadain money at our Credit Union. The Banks up here will also give you the best exchange rate, so check with your bank and see who they are connected with in Canada.
Cheers and have a great trip up here....
soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/18 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be getting at least $1.25 value for every Can. dollar. That helps a lot when you see how much more fuel, beer and alcohol cost us. Our credit card adds on about 35% exchange fees when we spend money in the US.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP: Verify with your bank. We do not pay exchange fees when using the affiliate bank. We get a kick back on fuel and other purchases in CA.
Banks around here do not have foreighn currency. You must order it and pay fee.
When crossing back into US, we count up how much Canadian money we have. We then do a fuel stop and put in the tank.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, our prices up here are all over the map. And they're often higher than yours, for exactly the same things.

Gas, for example, might be C$1.33/L in BC, and right next door in Alberta C$1.09/L. That's US$4.02/US gallon in BC, and US$3.30 in Alberta.

The exchange rate is currently 1 US$ = 1.251 C$, so you think you're getting a deal when you come up here with US$, but if the same stuff you buy in the US is marked up 30% or more, the exchange rate difference is negated. You pay more for the same things up here.

Most of our provinces (except Alberta) have a provincial HST on just about everything. It's like your state sales tax, and it can be up to 15% in our provinces in the east, to 5% in Alberta which doesn't have a PST. They only pay the Federal part called the GST there. Unless stated, prices on the stickers on the merchandise up here do not include sales taxes, so be aware.

Typically food from grocery stores isn't taxed up here, same as in the US. However, if it's junk food, or you buy it in a restaurant, then it usually is taxed with that HST/sales tax thing.

If you compare prices in Canada to prices in the US, and do the math to convert the money back and forth, we often get less and pay more for just about everything up here.

If you exchange your US dollars for C$ up here, be aware that most Canadian financial institutions charge a foreign currency conversion/handling fee of around 2.5%. It gets blended into the exchange rate when they process your money. If possible, I would go to your local US bank and inquire about buying Canadian cash from them, as you might get a better currency conversion fee there, or they might not charge one at all. I'm not sure how US banks order and exchange foreign currencies, but I think there are some that don't charge that hidden 2.5% like our banks do up here.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went into Canada for a day trip. Used CC to pay for some coffee and pay for a tour because I didn't exchange any cash..

While I saved some money on the exchange rate, the CC charged an extra fee for out of the country charge, so basically broke even.. I didn't really care, as I didn't want to deal with having to exchange cash.. Not big deal for what we did that day. The trip was worth it!

So, best to exchange for cash if you want to take advantage of the exchange rate..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a strange world.
Americans not going north because it costs too much.
Canadians not going south because of a poor exchange rate.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check to see if your credit/debit card charges transaction fees. The benefit is you don't have to carry large amounts of cash around-just get cash as needed at an ATM. Use credit whenever possible, especially if you have a reward card of any sort. If your card does charge a transaction fee consider getting a new card that doesn't, especially if you will be traveling out of the country with an frequency.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some helpful websites.

Bank of Canada Exchange rates

World Wide Metric conversion tables

Check eastern provinces for regulated prices of the week. www.google.ca nova scotia utilities regulation or nova scotia fuel price regulation. That usually covered auto fuel, propane, furnace oil. NS, NB, PEI, NL or all of Atlantic Canada are regulated.

Also Gas Buddy. com

16 kilometers = 10 miles. Or 160 kms = 100 mi. More practically, 100 km is just above 60 mi., Often highway speed. Bet you could pick up stickers to put on your odometer for the trip.

Once you've done us you'll be mentally geared up for THE WORLD, except for driving on the left side in countries related to England somehow, Oz, Nz, India, Pakistan...... Live web site on Christchurch, NZ They're the other side of the International Date Line

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Cost of travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS