Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Cost of travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Cost of travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

It’s a strange world.
Americans not going north because it costs too much.
Canadians not going south because of a poor exchange rate.

Agreed, the exchange rate could be better, but there are still plenty of bargains south of the border, if you know your prices up here, and can do the exchange rate math. Paying today's 1.251% exchange rate on products in the US that are priced 30%-70% lower than identical or comparable products in Canada, is still a good deal. And, typically most US states don't charge the same punitive sales taxes that our provinces do, and that keeps their prices lower. Groceries and gas are near the top of the list.
For example, the average gas price difference per liter between Canada and the US is C$0.25/L to C$0.30/L, in their favor. On an 80L fill up, that's around C$20/tank to C$24/tank lower. On bigger tanks, the savings increase. It covers the cost of the border toll over and back, if any. At today's local lowest cross border gas price of US$2.44, that works out to C$0.81/L.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red"

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best exchange rate for our smaller amounts of US$ to C$'s or vice versa has not been the banks but the Exchange currency desk in our local mall believe it or not. On just a couple hundred UK pounds exchanged to Can dollars we ended up C$60 better off so ...........

Check credit card fees for using out of country as most do charge a premium.

For larger (house sales or similar) money exchanges we use a company like MoneyCorp or similar that doesn't have the spreads and extra fees our banks tend to charge us.

Also Alberta is the only province within Canada that has ZERO PST/HST on goods, and generally for the most part has the cheaper gasoline has been our experience. As stated before, BC tends to a lot higher priced by comparison to our province, to the tune of we say "BC stands for Bring Cash". Gorgeous province to visit but sure is expensive compared to many others we've travelled in.

And yes, generally speaking almost everything (California type states aside), is generally cheaper to buy in the US than Canada even with a 25% exchange rate premium considered.

Enjoy your trip to our beautiful country and do take time to smell the roses as you go!

FTW

It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't you mean "take the time to stop and smell the wild roses"? [emoticon]

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

Also Alberta is the only province within Canada that has ZERO PST/HST on goods, and generally for the most part has the cheaper gasoline has been our experience. As stated before, BC tends to a lot higher priced by comparison to our province, to the tune of we say "BC stands for Bring Cash". Gorgeous province to visit but sure is expensive compared to many others we've travelled in.

This was our experience with one exception. AB had higher costs for beer than BC. Not that we consume much of it, but we like to sample the local brews as we travel.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing I noticed when we visit Alberta was the price tagged price was what was on the receipts (usually), unless the item was covered under the federal GST (5%). It felt odd when the numbers matched and there was no "HST" line as part of a sub total. Simplified shopping?

I also didn't find their liquor prices much better than elsewhere in Canada, except at Coutts/Sweet Grass in the duty free. Got some Irish whiskey for about half of what I pay for it around Ontario when we crossed into Montana. Very impressed with that.

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Alberta's wild rose country eh? [emoticon]

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being from Mexico, Canada was off the map us in 2014. Gas was 5.75 a gallon in Langley. We did find a few boondocking sites but few and far between.

Food prices were incredibly high along with rv park prices. Provencial parks weren´t much different.

Would we go back? You bet. A beautiful country, clean, environmentally friendly and the Canadians were the best hosts.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

tony lee

Dallas TX to AK via Niagara Falls and Dempster Hwy

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

It’s a strange world.
Americans not going north because it costs too much.
Canadians not going south because of a poor exchange rate.

Canadians racing through the US and sighing with relief when they cross into Mexico.

Personally, food, alcohol and fuel prices are totally irrelevant as factors affecting my travel plans - they are what they are so whinge and get over it, or stay home.

Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Alberta's wild rose country eh? [emoticon]

You got it, man. [emoticon] (Or ma'am?)
Alberta is my favorite province and I've been in them all except the Rock. If I ever decide I've had enough of living in Ontari-airy-uh-oh, I'd move out to wild rose country in a heartbeat. [emoticon]

kcfissel

Greenville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When are the wild roses in bloom in Alberta?

Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Cost of travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS