Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: First RV trip to Sierras
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First RV trip to Sierras

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mattysv

So cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looking to make my first trip to the sierras(in a RV that is) this may. Any suggestions? I read that I maybe be some what limited due to the 27ft TT I have. Looking for somewhere quite to take my wife and daughter for a week, typical activities like hiking, fishing etc. Any input or reccomendatio would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

KCFDCapt

At Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give us some idea of where in the Sierras you want to go. It is a long range and has two sides. The major road on the west side is Highway 99 while the east side is reached by Highway 395.

There are many great places to camp, depending on the time of year you vist.

More info = better answer.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the east I’d recommend Silver Lake RV park at June Lake. For the West, Camp Edison at Shaver Lake hands down! Better reserve early but worth it.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How far north do you want to go?

Do you want hookups? Or do you want to dry camp?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the east side, French Camp USFS north of Bishop and Tuttle Creek BLM near Lone Pine both have dumps, water and fishing. Glass Creek and Lower Deadman USFS north of Mammoth have fishing. These are my favorites.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What time of year?

Will you have pets along?

With both of those unknown, my recommendation is Mammoth. Zillions of hikes and places to camp, close to town for supplies and city entertainment if you want it.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A simple answer is go north and boondock camp in a National Forest.
Before school is out, Sequoia NP and especially the NF around it is a great place to go.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of campgrounds on the East side of the SIERRA. How quiet do you want?

Mammoth Lakes RV in town of Mammoth Lakes is central to the Southern part. From Lone Pine up to Bridgeport there are literally hundreds when you consider FS, BLM, parks, resorts and campgrounds. Like it is down here in So. Cal., reservations are required anywhere with hook ups and near fishing and camp supplies. Tom's Place, Crowley, Twin Lakes, Walker Gorge/Walker area, Bridgeport all have either FS or Private parks. We always like Chris Flats in Walker Gorge but we haven't camped there since we bought a home in Mammoth Lakes in 1983.

We have never camped on the West side but friends go to Bass Lake North of Fresno every year. There are a lot of reservoirs and lakes East and North of Fresno.

Pick an area and then Google RV campgrounds in that area. Try the FS listings, BLM in Bishop has a map of areas open to boone docking or on line.

Where are you in So. Cal. area?

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Mattysv

So cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in long beach so I can hit either side of the Sierras. Shaver has been on the radar but I also spent quite a bit of time when I was younger around June and Crowley. I would like something a little bit on the quieter side for a change. Hooks ups would be nice but sent a must(don't tell my wife I said that). I'm not sure if may ofthe areas may still be closed but I was hoping to go end of April or early to mid May. There will be two family's going both families with our own trailer and each with a 2.5 year old daughter. Thanks for all of the input!

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two favorites in the western Sierras. Both are great and it would be hard for me to choose one over the other.

On Shaver Lake is Camp Edison. Sites are great with full hookups. The lake offers water adventures and there is plenty of hiking opportunities. May will be cold and there may be snow on the ground or a possible snow storm so watch the weather.

The other is Sequoia RV Ranch in Kaweah near Three Rivers Ca. It is just outside of Sequoia Nat'l Park and can be used as a base camp to visit the park. There is a river flowing through the property with great trout fishing. It is at a lower elevation than Shaver Lake.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First RV trip to Sierras
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS