Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: First RV trip to Sierras
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First RV trip to Sierras

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mattysv

So cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Possible that a german shepard maybe making the trip with us.

Mattysv

So cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so many choices it's hard to even start

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mattysv wrote:

looking to make my first trip to the sierras(in a RV that is) this may. Any suggestions? I read that I maybe be some what limited due to the 27ft TT I have. Looking for somewhere quite to take my wife and daughter for a week, typical activities like hiking, fishing etc. Any input or reccomendatio would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

On the internet use the app "Good Sam RV Parks". Just type in the city/town in all the areas you might be interested in RVing in. The app will locate all the RV parks in the area. Then start selecting the RV parks and you will get a complete description of each park and what services, site lengths, water, dump, electricity, costs per night etc etc etc. Or you can just buy the Good Sam RV book for under $10. Camping world or Wall Mart or any good book store has them.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late April - early May you might find campgrounds still closed for the season depending on how weather goes in the next few months. The higher up, the more likely for closure until June/July. In the northern sierras, the past few years have seen openings delayed until July due to snow still on the ground or fire damage from the prior season.

Forest service campgrounds won't have hookups, but are great about dogs (dogs can go on trails and beaches unless specifically prohibited).

On the eastern side, you'll have more boondocking opportunities with the BLM lands, if you want to try for a couple nights.

With the kids that young, you don't have to worry about them getting bored - they'll be excited about most everything. [emoticon]

One trick I've learned is to choose a campground without a boat launch. You end up with fewer large groups of partyers and a quieter campground - even if the lake has lots of boats.

I don't go that far south usually, so most of my recommendations would be in ElDorado, Plumas, and Tahoe forests.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First RV trip to Sierras
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS