Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: I got 1,200 lbs to work with - can I get a shell?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got 1,200 lbs to work with - can I get a shell?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since most popup campers are at 1,000 lbs and up I figured any over the cab popup was out of consideration with my truck. Got a 2002 Silverado 1500.

Just weighted it today. Weighs 4,987 with me and full tank of gas. GVWR is 6,200, so 1,213 to work with plus whatever the tailgate weighs, did not take it off.

Was looking at cab less popups like the Capri Cowboy and the brand new Phoenix Geo-Den Flip because they are in the 700-800lb range. Then got wind from a poster on another site of ATC Panther Shell coming in at 790lb. That got me thinking about Four Wheel and ATC Shells.

Anyone have a shell with some minimum options and still come in light? Would be thrilled to get a cab over even without all the amenities.

Buying a new/used 3/4 or 1 ton is out, just can't part with that much cash when my old truck is in great shape.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the all aluminum canopies weigh around 300# or you could get a tonneau cover. Not sure what they weigh but I help my neighbor lift his off just because it bulky. I doubt it weighs 100#.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you go any farther, even if the 1213lb is real life number - that capacity applies to load with center of gravity close behind truck cabin.
That ain't going to happen with any TC.
Tell us what is your rear axle rating and empty weight on it?

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/18 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you be better off divorcing TC Popups and pulling a light TT?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GAWR is 3,686, scale has rear axle at 1,960.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, those are real numbers.
With short camper you can roughly estimate that 90% of its weight will go on rear axle.
Be generous with safety margin.
Just becouse axle has capacity to carry it, doesn't have to make it comfortable.
Than ask me how da heck I managed to add 2300 lb to my camper.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Eureka Campers.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 12:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long bed, short bed, or 5.5' bed?
Shorter the bed, the further back the center of gravity will be. A good assumption is that all the weight is on the rear axle, unless it's a long bed, in which case you may get some on the front axle.
Either way, if you're intent on following the numbers, youll be hard pressed to find a pop up cab over that works. That said, I wouldn't be the least bit worried about putting 1500-2000 lbs in the back with good tires and some air bags/helper springs/Timbrens, etc.
Many of the folks on here will tell you that is totally irresponsible.....meh. If the truck is in good shape, it'll haul that much every day of the week and twice on Sunday with no ill effects.
FWIW, I've driven half tons for years on end with that much weight in them day in day out. That's what happens when you use a truck as a truck. Until the past couple trucks, all of my half ton company trucks would get some rear suspension help first thing and then get used like a truck.
JMO.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found a 4 wheel camper that I could put on my tacoma based on suggestions here.
bumpy

breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bed is 78".

Just took a look at the Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5. Dry weight 850lbs. Center of gravity 23" from front wall. I think I got something here to work with.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got 1,200 lbs to work with - can I get a shell?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS