Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Note to self!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Note to self!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Current temperature at home is -7 F*. Wanted to chill a 12 ounce can of Coca Cola real fast, so simply set it outside in the snow...allocated time... 10 minutes. Got busy fiddling around the house and forgot about it. Then remembered. 50 minutes later after sitting it outside, I remembered and then retrieved it. Brought it in, popped the top and solid ice! No liquid at all. Let it sit until it started bubbling over. Got a few good sips and left the rest in the sink to drain out as it melts.

Note to self: When the temps are -7 ... remember to retrieve the Cola in 10 minutes!

It's cold out there!

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee. I keep remembering standing out in the parking lot at Oak park High for the first ham radio swap meet held in Michigan every year (1st in Michigan it was billed as) long about 3rd week of Jan.. I was the "Before sun up" parking lot attendant.

Jay is over in the EOC (Emergency Operations Center) a nice HEATED building, and he's been listening to not only folks needing directions but the AM/FM as well. and he switched to the parking lot "net" to tell us the wind chill...-40.

I've seen -40 several times, both actual temp and wind chill Wind chill is not so bad but modern electronic vehicle ignitions... at -40 transistors sometimes forget how to transist.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL! We built storage shelves in our garage a number of years ago and store extra water, soda, beer, etc. out there. The garage rarely gets below 30 and at that temp stuff freezes slowly. Well, the garage temp dropped to about 15 two days ago and now is at 11. Took most of the liquids out but forgot the 2.5 gallon jug of water. I figure it will defrost by May!

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We forgot the "hidden stock" of water and soda in the 5th wheel a couple of years ago when we winterized.

Went into the camper in mid Feb. to retrieve something and noticed brown spots on the ceiling and a strange, round dome of aluminum laying in the floor. Yep, 12 cans of Diet Pepsi and 18 bottles of water had become solid in the below zero weather.

Took a lot of hot water and cleaning to get that mess out of there. I make a careful check now.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the thing: carbon dioxide is soluble in water to a certain extent, but not in ice.

So when I was in high school too many decades ago, a bud showed up at school one Monday morning with his face, hands, and arms covered with nicks and cuts. I asked him what happened. His answer: never pick up a loaded 7-Up bottle.

He had a job stocking the shelves at the local IGA, and had gone into the cold warehouse to bring in a case of 7-Up bottles. He noticed it seemed to be pretty slushy, and when he picked it up, it exploded. He'd spent the rest of the evening at the ER having bits of glass picked out of his skin, and figured the only reason he didn't lose his eyes was due to the thick glasses he wore.

So, yeah, remember that soda/beer/whatever before it freezes. You bet. My guess is that the can blew out a pinhole in a seam before you brought it in. And remember my friend if you dare stick a glass bottle in the freezer or outside in the snow.

FLgator01

Dover

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep our little, 17', TT in the driveway plugged in all the time. When I am working the garage I turn on NPR and listen via the outside speakers on the TT. I also use the fridge to keep my beer cold. Neat thing is I don't have to come in the house for beer so the wife can't keep count. We were planning a New Year's Eve dinner party and I was aging some beef in the fridge in the house when the wife said she needed that space for other things. I put the meat in the RV fridge which is usually around 37 F. It has been in the single digits here for several weeks. Well, went out to get the meat and it was froze solid. Just glad I didn't have any beer left in there. Although beer marinated beef tenderloin might not be too bad.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Note to self!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS