Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Not a Newbie, but been to long and need advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Not a Newbie, but been to long and need advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
thegabrielles

Flowery Branch, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi ALL!!! We have been away from the RV world for far too long and are starting our research to get back into it. We have changed from CLass C, Class A, to the Fifth wheel and now a Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler. We believe this will meet all our wants and needs and we move into retirement and traveling the US in it. We will be living in it for months at a time (two adults only).

OK, so currently I don't even have a truck, so we will be buying the whole setup... preferably not brand new but less than 3 years old.
I am looking at an F350 Diesel to pull with and if I am seeing the numbers correct that should pull about any fifth wheel. But I am not stuck on any truck yet. BTW, I am a firefighter and have been driving about everything my whole life, I am not worried about my capabilities as long as the setup is safe. I will be adding cameras to assist, though.

We went to the Atlanta RV show today to get some hands-on and we fell in love with a Heartland Cyclone 4115. I got home, did my research and that thing is 45'-6" long and it weighs in at about 16k lbs dry.

So here come the questions.
1. How long is too long? I looked around at RV sites and found some that won't accommodate over 40' and others that cant handle over 36'. I don't want to limit where we can go or stay too much.

2. There seems to be a price gap on these... a bunch around $40K and then it jumps to $120k. I understand quality etc, but is the range really that high? I see the $115K 'on sale" for $80k brand new so is the markup really that much on the higher quality ones?

3. Any suggestions/ recommendations, if you take a look at the layout of the Cyclone you will see kinda what I am looking for. I am looking at sending about $120K for truck and camper, which seems quite reasonable, would love to spend less but willing to spend more for the right combo.

I appreciate any advice you can provide or any suggestions for a great set-up. We will be keeping this for a long time and have plenty of time to find the right combo.

Kim and David
Andrew 17yrs old, had been to all 50 states at 8 yrs old plus several countries and the Carribean Islands
He has grown up and we are getting ready to retire and see more of this great country!

Currently Shopping for retirement toys!

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know the drill...the longer you are the more limited the CGs. Are you thinking of boondocking or just private RV parks? Are you willing to stay just outside the Crown Jewels, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Glacier, Olympic NPs etc.? At 45’6” almost no CA state park for instance or any USFS/BLM up US 395. You need that size for the two of you? It’s not what you buy or can drive but where you want to camp. For me, this beautiful country isn’t accessible at 45’6”.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a 350/3500 dually with a diesel and you'll be able to pull most any toy hauler. Forget the dry weight and focus in on the gross weight (GVWR) which will be in the 19-20,000 range. Hitch weight will be 3500+ pounds. Today's trucks can handle these rigs with ease.

Pulling a 5th wheel will be a new experience as you'll soon learn about trailer tracking. They don't turn like a fire engine or motorhome - they need a little more room to maneuver.

My Voltage is 41' long and grosses at 19,000. We have yet to be turned away from camping due to size. But then I always look for big-rig friendly camp sites.

In the RV world figure 30% or so off MSRP (sticker price). The prices in 6 figures are the MSRP. The 5 figure prices are the sale prices. That $110k trailer can usually be had for $70k or less. Most manufacturers have top end luxury model, mid-level and entry level models. Learn where the different models fall into the company's pecking order. The Cyclone is the top model for Heartland. Basically find the floorplan you like and go from there.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you may find is a truck that is only 3 y/o may be very close in price to a brand new one.
Also, you cannot assume an F350 or any other 1 ton will tow any fifth wheel. You'll want to check the numbers closely for each rig.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

thegabrielles

Flowery Branch, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you azdryheat! I am actually trying to avoid a dully as the truck won't just be for camping. Hopefully, it can still handle the 3500 pin. I've definitely seen the 30% off very easily and "sale prices" above 40% so MSRP is definitely not something I will be paying. I wouldn't mind new but I usually don't like taking the big depreciation hit.

thegabrielles

Flowery Branch, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott, no assumptions are ever made by me. I looked up the tow specs on all the Fords. I am a Ford guy so I won't be driving a Dodge or Chevy. [emoticon] They all make decent trucks.... just a preference. I will definitely watch the specific vehicle as I know bed length, gearing, etc will all come into play.

Rocking B

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 45 footer 16k toy hauler is a big heavy trailer it will be tough getting in smaller campgrounds. Camping is all about enjoying the lifestyle, seeing the country and meeting a bunch of good folks. We recently traded our toy hauler for a smaller lighter bunkhouse model so we can have easier trips getting to the campgrounds and easier set ups. My advice to you is just think it thru and buy what you will enjoy.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a Big Horn Heartland 5th wheel for years and have had been very satisfied. their customer service has been outstanding.
I would suggest you and your family sit down and have some discussions which should help you start to narrow down what you want for an RV.
1. Look at floor plans relative to the size of your family. A little extra room is always better.
2. what kind of RVing are planning on doing in terms of time? weekends, month at a time, more than 3 months at a time, boon docking etc etc. Typically, the longer you are out for a RV trip, the bigger RV you want to look at.
3. IMHO, I would look at an RV 32 to 36 ft. in length for fitting in most RV parks, not all. Parking 40 or more feet RV's is doable but is more of a challenge and you could start to limit some of your choices of RV parks.
4. IMHO, 5th wheels are easier, more stable than TT and easier to hook up and unhook.
5. I would look for a used late model 5th. wheel. I would put 4 new "G" rated tires on, repack the bearings, check the dates on the batteries if over 5 yrs old replace them. Then hit the RV road[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think if you interested in the 4115 you will be looking at a Dually.

I just did a quick look at the numbers which said the pin weight was around 3700lbs. The dry weight on that rig is somewhere between 16k and 17k. So, depending on what your hauling you could be pushing 20k or more loaded.

I have not had a rig that size but I have had a 36 foot Toy Hauler and you can pretty much exclude yourself from about 95% of National and State parks. And you will be looking for Big Rig friendly parks or open space.

I think If you go a little smaller on the rig you may be able to get a SRW truck your looking at... But I agree with whoever said you may be better off just going new when it comes to price compared to a 2 or 3 year old used Truck.

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

arhayes

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, we've been FTing in a 42.5' TH for going on 4 years and would not change a thing. We've pulled the rig 28,000 miles all over this country and had a great time and have had no issue finding spaces to accommodate us. Once our Goldwing is unloaded the "garage" becomes my my Ham radio room and her Sewing room, so the space isn't wasted depending on your hobbies.

I'd just caution on the truck. No one wants to have a DRW as their daily driver, but if you're going to hail a full size TH with a 19,500lb gross and 4200lb pin weight like ours, it really does take a DRW. My 2 cents. Good luck and Congrats on the upcoming retirement!

Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Not a Newbie, but been to long and need advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS