Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Golf Cart or A G M 12 volt Batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Golf Cart or A G M 12 volt Batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chassis batteries are Starting Type. does not matter if Flooded wet, Maintenance Free or AGM.. They need to provide a lot of peak amps (As compared to capacity) for a short time

HOUSE you need a lot of capacity (AMP-HOURS) as opposed to peak amps.

Now folks claim all sorts of advantages for AGM.. With one and possibly 2 exceptions I have not found those claims to be valid. The exceptions:

1: No "This side up" sticker.. You can mount them on their side, on end, however you wish.

2: Very very low gasing (If you are using them INSIDE the living area)

In the specific case of LIFELINE AGM (not other brands) Faster recharge IF and only IF you have a converter or other charger able to ship the amps (Most do not).

And they have one big di$advantage.. CO$T.. Way more expensive

Thus for the house I recommend GC-2's

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your post begs a question. Your coach has two battery banks. You will have two TWELVE VDC batteries that start the coach. Your house system will have anywhere from 4-6 SIX VDC batteries. DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO. You asked which you should buy, AGM or Golf Cart. AGM batteries come in both 12VDC and 6VDC configurations. AGMs are way more expensive but they are maintenance free and as pointed out, can be mounted any way you choose. GC2, Golf car batteries, 6VDC have to be mounted with caps up and need to be checked periodically to ensure the water levels are correct. Personally, I bought mine at Sams Club for about $100ea. I put a teaspoon of mineral oil in each one and found I've never needed to top them off....Dennis

THE WORLD IS CHANGED BY YOUR EXAMPLE, NOT BY YOUR OPINIONS
Dennis and Debi Ninth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do make 6V AGM golf cart batteries ((Trojan T105-AGM) and 12V AGM golf cart batteries ((Trojan T1275-AGM)

Both are more expensive than conventional flooded (wet) cell golf cart batteries. Two 6V golf cart batteries will always store more energy than on 12V golf cart battery.

A quick and dirty way to compare battery capacities is just check their weight. Two 6V golf cart batteries weights about 140 lbs. One 12V golf cart battery weights about 81 lbs.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, better to separate this into several questions:

Start vs Deep cycle

Battery technology (wet vs AGM)

6 VDC wired in series vs 12 VDC

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

timjet

Land O Lakes, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series will give you about 210 AH and cost about $170. 2 12 volt AGM's connected in parallel will give about the same AH and cost about $600.
AGM's are maintenance free, golf cart batteries are not.

I'm switching my house batts from AGM's to golf cart batts.

Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timjet wrote:

2 12 volt AGM's connected in parallel will give about the same AH and cost about $600.

No doubt AGMs will cost more; they ARE better.

That's the price my RV dealer tried to give me......from NAPA.

Found the same batteries from an independent battery dealer at $400 a pair. Quite a difference.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timjet wrote:

2 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series will give you about 210 AH and cost about $170. 2 12 volt AGM's connected in parallel will give about the same AH and cost about $600.
AGM's are maintenance free, golf cart batteries are not.

I'm switching my house batts from AGM's to golf cart batts.

What maintenance?

I put a little mineral oil in each cell in my batteries 3 years ago when I bought them, the levels are still at the same level today.

It’s plugged in 24/7/365 when not on the road.

timjet

Land O Lakes, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might try that. I'll give it a couple of months and see how much water I have to add. I've got a smart 4 stage charger.

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP - Thanks for serving - twice!!!

No right or wrong answer here, just options[emoticon]!

If you do not feel you'll be off Shore Power much of the time, say 20-30% or less as an example. And are frugal on power usage, the you could start out with two four batteries to start. See how things go. As mentioned by others, wet cell batteries, GC2 6V, larger 12V, with a dab of mineral oil or a watering system where you just easily squeeze a turkey baster ball to top off all cells - would be an inexpensive way to go. If you want the added safety of having more reserve power, you could go with 6 batteries to start with and be done with it.

-Three pairs of Sams or Costco 6V wet cells would be the economic way to go
-Bump up price some to a Trojan or Crown battery, and you should see a bit more overall AH's in the bank, and a potentially a longer lasting battery
-Bump up to larger size (Taller, but same footprint, and you again add to the price and also to the total AH's in the bank. For example, if you have the head room in the battery bay, Trojan have the T-125's and T-145's, which add AH's tp their conventional GC2 T-105 battery

-If you don't want to bother with any maintenance concerns at all, and don't mind spending some more money. You could go to AGM.As mentioned, in the 6V GC2 config. Or you could go to 12V 8D's, and probably get three into the same space that X's 6 GC2's will fit. The do charge a bit faster, so if you do start boon docking more, you will have faster recharge times via generator with AGM's.

So, really you're in the driver's seat. And if your batteries are say midlife, you might look into conditioning/equalizing them, and then having the load tested, to see if they still have some life ahead for you. If so, then you could go get some usage with the coach, and see what you feel your battery energy needs are. This could help you make your decision between all of the options.

Can be a PITA, with lost of opinions on Wet vs AGM vs now Lithium[emoticon]! And this gang, myself included, are more then willing to help you spend your money[emoticon]!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

AlaskaShooter

Twisp, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option to consider if you have heavily fertilized and watered your orchard of money trees. New battery technology. Prices will hopefully drop over time.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/

Light weight and lots of grunt.

2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Golf Cart or A G M 12 volt Batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS