Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Virus protection programs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Virus protection programs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I will add is the use of something like CCcleaner.
It works in a different manner than malwarebytes and Norton and often will clean up problems caused by BS lurking in the background, and only needs to be used intermittently.

2oldman

Pahrump

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

.what's the take on "PC Matic" the one you see advertised on TV all the time.
Another ad I will switch channels for when I see.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

.what's the take on "PC Matic" the one you see advertised on TV all the time.
Another ad I will switch channels for when I see.

I have to turn off the Mike Lindell commercial for "My Pillow" ...my doggie starts howling even before the jingle! LoL :-)

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Mollie, King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund mix
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie and Cassie- RIP kids! Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

2oldman

Pahrump

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

I have to turn off the Mike Lindell commercial for "My Pillow" ...my doggie starts howling even before the jingle! LoL :-)
Lol. The absolute worst is drug ads, with their endless list of side effects, followed by 'Ask your doctor about..'.

Sheesh!!

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Lol. The absolute worst is drug ads, with their endless list of side effects, followed by 'Ask your doctor about..'.

Sheesh!!

So true. Big Pharma had their lobbyist's pay off the legislators so they could run ads. It use to be they couldn't do that. Those many millions of dollars of ad time show up in the cost of our pills. It's terrible. For antivirus I run Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner and Process Explorer; which is nice but a bit much for beginning users. The rules I use are don't click on anything you don't have to, and even then think before you click. Delete every email you don't want and be suspicious of all the rest. Don't open attachments. I pay for the Bitdefender and Malwarebytes because it runs real time and intercepts the garbage. If you make a mistake and something gets through, hold the power button down for 5 seconds and turn the unit off.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DKean wrote:

Is there any problem with running two virus protection programs ?

YES !!

I gave up on all of the aftermarket anti-virus and just use Windows Defender. Delet the others and turn it on.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

The only thing I will add is the use of something like CCcleaner.
It works in a different manner than malwarebytes and Norton and often will clean up problems caused by BS lurking in the background, and only needs to be used intermittently.

I don't recommend consumers use CCleaner. It can be a helpful tool, but those who don't know enough can often damage their installations.

McAfee and Norton haven't been worth a darn for a few years now. Huge overheads and often crippling effects with lots and lots of misses.

Sometimes I wish I could put my business card in the boxes, LOL.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running two antivirus at the same time will generally slow your computer. Falcon Northwest, a maker of high end boutique pc's, also advises against running cleaners. DiskDoctr sounds right on here. Ccleaner looks like it's doing a lot of work, but sometimes I think we fall for a good interface. I have read in particular there is no need to clean the registry, and that's where you can get in a lot of trouble.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nuclear option? Combofix ... It'll either fix what ails the computer or destroy Windows doing so.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I gave up on all of the aftermarket anti-virus and just use Windows Defender. Delet the others and turn it on.

Want my business card? LOL.

Defender is quite poor as a primary defense. I don't recommend using only MS Defender.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Virus protection programs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS