Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Seafood dining in or around the Houston/Baytown area
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Seafood dining in or around the Houston/Baytown area

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading to Houston end of March. Looking for a good seafood place to dine at. Thanks.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Landry's, Pappas Seafood House / Pappadeaux, Goode Co Seafood, Willie G's, Tampico off the top of my head are all good for Gulf Coast seafood. If you'll repost in February, I'll update as I'm going down for a couple weeks end of this month - mid February.

McCormick & Schmicks is also good and in my limited experience in eating PNW seafood in Houston is probably the safest bet for PNW or cold water seafood.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are most of those chains/franchises or real restaurants? I know McCormick & Schmicks exists here so I'm sure it's a franchise.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what "real" means, but M&S is indeed the same chain as you might find anywhere from Seattle to points south: Landry's and Willie G's are both part of the Fertitta empire (something like 2000 venues across 12-15 brands and multiple states), the Pappas family has probably 10-15 venues across 5-8 brands in the Houston area, Tampico has at least 5 locations that I'm aware of and there are (IIRC) 8-10 Goode family venues (including everything from seafood to steak to BBQ) in Houston.

...but in my 10 year stint in Ewe-stun, I've eaten at all of these places (not all the locations) and can affirm that they offer real food and fresh caught stuff....nothing is prepackaged from a central location if that is the concern. As an anecdote only, I've seen ceviche being made/assembled at most of the places listed above.....

A couple of "stand-alone" places are Tony Mandolo's (Mandola's ?) Caracal (sp?), Bernadine's ( they may have gone under recently), and State of Grace. I'd compare Landry's and Willie G's to any of those for the food and comparable ambience, although State of Grace is (or was last fall) a much more buzz-worthy place where one is more likely to see some of the Houston trendmakers.

Simple logistics means that any pacific salmon or coldwater shellfish will be slightly less "fresh" in Houston than the Gulf Coast seafood....and while I couldn't complain about any snapper, redfish, or gumbo (or the like) from any of the restaurants listed above, I just can't get my head around a Houston-based restaurant serving as good of pacific salmon as Seattle-based chain, even if a chain.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of my concerns with franchises is so many of them pre-package, actually pre-cook some of their entrees and appetizers. Then flash freeze them and then they just get pretty much heated up to be served. I'm not a fan of that, so that's why I try to avoid too many franchises in favor of local joints.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

Heading to Houston end of March. Looking for a good seafood place to dine at. Thanks.

If you find one you like, let us know. I haven't found any.

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

RockyMt

Castle Rock Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder- boy that's new info. Denver sea food places get there fish flown in daily, I can't imagine having a central cooking warehouse that makes entrees and ships around the US.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm referring to places like Applebees, i.e. low end franchise food places. I had a lady friend work there some years back and she said almost all the food came in frozen, and they basically just reheated it.

abom2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Baytown/La Porte there is a restaurant called The Monument Inn. It serves up very good seafood, gumbo, chicken fried steak, etc.

It is a locally owned and run.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, speaking from direct personal experience, neither Landry's, Willie G's, Goode Co. Seafood, (all 3 in the Houston area) nor McCormick and Schmick's (in Houston or Austin) uses pre-packaged flash frozen seafood.

Pretty sure that Tampico doesn't either, but the view of the kitchen (at the 3 locations I've eaten at) isn't quite as clear as the ones mentioned above.

Mandolo's, Caracal, and State of Grace are "locally" owned and operated in Ewe-stun. If one want's a bit different cuisine (Louisiana style) and a decidedly laid back ambience (I'll admit that "laid back" is almost "lazy" and "unkempt" to me) there is also Jimmy G's near IAH.

Keep in mind that Gulf Coast seafood is entirely different than either PNW or East Coast and within "Gulf Coast" there are distinct variations for both TX and La styles and preparations.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Seafood dining in or around the Houston/Baytown area
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS