Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fighting for campsites 6 months in advance!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Fighting for campsites 6 months in advance!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

9 months in advance for us.....we have our favorite campgrounds and "must have sites." Unfortunately our favorites seem to be lots of other peoples' favorites also.

It's not the millennials, it's the baby boomers that are really buying RV's right now.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are kidding, you had trouble booking a site for the 4th of July?

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is the same in California! Too many people,too few campgrounds.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think RVing is getting more popular with lots of age groups. For us working stiffs with kids that have to go during the busiest times, it is getting hard to get reservations.

For last Labor Day the campground we went to only takes reservations 45 days in advance of arrival. To get in, I had call in early and start the reservation 2 days before I would arrive. so I had to pay for 2 nights I would not be there. To get waterfront they said that you have to reserve at least an extra week.

As soon as my kids get out of high school in 4 years, It will really open things up for me [emoticon]

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Who said anything about the 4th of July? [emoticon]

Even then, our CG's are always about 90% full (100% booked) and holiday weekends are really no different crowd-wise.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you need hookups and need to be at the most popular places then, yes, it's crowded. However, moving 10 miles away can be quite different and also if you don't need hookups.

For July 4 and other holidays, we stayed away from water - lakes, rivers, pools and had no problem getting a site without reservations and had a very relaxing weekend. We'd move to water sites during the week.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

When you need hookups and need to be at the most popular places then, yes, it's crowded. However, moving 10 miles away can be quite different and also if you don't need hookups.

For July 4 and other holidays, we stayed away from water - lakes, rivers, pools and had no problem getting a site without reservations and had a very relaxing weekend. We'd move to water sites during the week.

July 4: looking forward to my favorite CG, no reservations needed four years running now, in the middle of the National Forest with only a muddy pond a mile's hike away for entertainment.

Best thing is no hookups, not even electric. usually no hookups means no crowds.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they go quick. Waterfront sites go the quickest. Holidays and weekends fill the fastest.

No it's not the fault of the millenials. Or the baby boomers. It's just life.

Back in the day, people who camped used tents. If you didn't like dirt, bugs, etc., then you didn't camp.

Now, you can camp without ever leaving your comfy bed, tv, microwave, etc. This has brought people of all ages to campgrounds who would have never considered going before.

My advice is to be as flexible as you can. If you can't change your dates, then change your location. Find a different site. Look at different campground sources. If you always go to state parks, then try the national forests, blm, coe, bureau of reclamation, etc. Look at private owned like pg&e, etc. Look at city or county campgrounds.

If you can, change your dates. Instead of going during a holiday or right before or after, push it out a couple weeks.

July 8-14 is right after the 4th. Many people will take a week or two around the fourth for vacation in order to squeeze an extra day or two, so their stay will overlap your dates. If you wait until the following week, you may find it opens up a bit more. August is usually slightly better because there are no holidays so folks pass it over in favor of July and September.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

bgum wrote:

Who said anything about the 4th of July? [emoticon]

Even then, our CG's are always about 90% full (100% booked) and holiday weekends are really no different crowd-wise.

The OP stated that they had the same problem when booking for the 4th.

Also, the 8-14 is the week after the 4th, so there will be lingeribg over from the holiday.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are more RVs (mainly TT and 5er) being sold, and at least in Texas, many new RV parks being built.

But much of the sales are for families living full time in the rigs and work full time. Most of these people go into the new RV parks, which are really built like traditional mobile home parks, not as RV camper parks.

But almost every post on this thread is about government owned and operated traditional campgrounds.

Yes, the issue is more demand than supply. And definitely government - both federal and the various states - is not building more campgrounds in state or federal parks.

The issue is too many people more than too many new RVs.

For much of the 80s and 90s the number of families camping declined, As two working parent families became common, fewer and fewer bought RVs. Now many young families are finding RV camping affordable. They are comfortable with the internet and are willing to book their sites a year or more in advance. They know how to play the reservations systems to the heir advantage.

One group which is growing is long term camping retirees. When I was young, and even into the 80s and 90s - the percentage of campers who were in that group was small. Especially those over 70. The RVs simple were not comfortable enough or easy enough to setup for folks that age.

Today the over age 65 percentage of RVers has to be over 45 percent, as high as 80% in some areas. And those who full like us who use government campgrounds whenever possible - we take a huge number of the available campsite nights out of the inventory.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Fighting for campsites 6 months in advance!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS