Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Modem/ wireless recomendation please..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Modem/ wireless recomendation please..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to 'prolly replace my 15 or so year old modem and wireless. There are so many out there and I am technically illiterate in this realm and have no idea what brand(s) to consider. The current one in the photo below was picked out by the sales associate at a big box store when I bought my computer back then. It has worked well and is still working but might be a limiting factor in speed downloading and streaming. Don't ask me any questions on its bph, ghz, jigawatts, etc... I don't know what it is.

I would be interested in those specs in orders to understand a little better for what a new one should have. I would like to stay to a budgets of about $100- ish for both new components.

Recommendations?

[image]

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have this one in the house: Click here.

It's a 5G network and we have multiple devices connected to it, and they all work flawless. We occasionally have problems with our internet, since it's not a satellite, cable or over-the-phone system, (line of sight from cell towers).

My wife work from home 24x7 and I work from home 2 - 3 days a week, connected to our company system via company supplied laptops. In addition, we often have our 2 personal computers connected at the same time, plus our Smart Television in the living room. Often, (my 32 year old son) is on the Internet with his gaming buddies in another part of the house, and almost always, while at home, all 3 of our cell phones are connected to the same router wifi. And everything works flawless.

When camping, we have all our computers set up to use or cell phone wifi hot spot.

Netgear is a good product, and we didn't pay near that amount listed on the web site about 2 years ago. The router has worked very, very well for us. No complaints.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch... is that a combo unit? Specifically, is this all I would need to replace my existing 2 components?

DutchmenSport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It plugs into your modem and that's it! It does have ports on the back if you want to attach your device with wires.

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they're called routers now, not modems.

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who is your internet provider? The reason I ask is that my internet provider (Comcast) only supports certain modems.
My other question would be how fast do you want your internet connection to be? According to the specs I saw at Newegg.com the top speed for your D-Link dcm-202 is 43 Mbps. If you want to know your current speed, Google “Internet Speed Test.” You might want to replace just the router and leave the modem be if it’s fast enough for your purposes.

DutchmenSport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I think they're called routers now, not modems.

Modems and Routers are different. My system has a "modem" that captures the signal from the cell-tower signal and is transferred to a device that looks like a small television satellite dish. It has one port on it. You can plug directly into this and hook up to a computer or whatever with a wire. But you can also plug a wireless "router" to the modem and then you can attach either wireless devices or hardwired devices (to the "router").

My system is a broadband wireless fixed system. 2 antennas required. One on a cell tower or a high tower, and the other at home on a high pole (like a telephone pole), or your roof, if the line-of-site is clear of any trees, bushes, and buildings. A wire runs from this antenna to inside the home directly to the "Modem". It's very small, about the size of a band-aid box, plug into house electricity and then attach an Eithernet cable to the "WIFI router" where the signal is then disseminated through the entire house, and about 500 feet away. (works great for the trailer at home in the drive-way!)

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback.

My goal is to replace both those components in my image posted. I do not know my password to access the wireless (don't suggest that alternative internet method, tried it and it does not work.) Apparently there are 2 passwords for the wireless components and I have one but not the other (does that make sense??) I cannot let others log on to my internet because I do not know my own password- sounds crazy but that is how it works... my computer has it saved somehow and my current laptop (soon to be replaced) stores it and accesses my internet via those 2 box things.

I have Comcast- good advice and I will check with them and perhaps see if they have recommendations. I do not know how fast I want but I am almost certain that anything out there now is faster than what I have. I get browsers that stall when loading a video or a movie if I am reading perhaps another website. I can not really watch anything TV from Comcast if another window is open.

Does Comcast require all stuff modem/ router/ wireless components to be compliant or only one of those? ON EDIT: from a quick search, it seam that modems are the only component that needs approval... correct?

Amazon Prime is discontinuing streaming soon to folk using Vista OS, so a new laptop is soon on the horizon and I will need to log onto my wireless (of which I currently cannot do sans the password.)

I want to buy new gradually in pieces: modem/ router/ wireless stuff first to insure those work with my exiting computer, then the new PC.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

...Google “Internet Speed Test.” You might want to replace just the router and leave the modem be if it’s fast enough for your purposes.

This is my test result but my plan is for 60 mbsp,
[image]

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct in that only the modem has to be an “approved” model by Comcast. There are more options than what is shown on the page connected to the link you posted. On that page click on “My Device Info,” and you will see more options.
I would recommend getting a modem with a much higher rating than 60 Mbps. My connection was rated at 75 Mbps and Comcast just bumped it up to 100 Mbps for no charge. This is my current modem, with which I have had no issues.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Modem/ wireless recomendation please..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS