Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Universe Today

Maybe this will generate some competition and drive prices down and provided internet features and bandwidth up.

* This post was edited 01/08/18 03:06pm by agesilaus *

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is we are looking at 4-5 years before any of these systems go live, assuming they keep to their timelines which such projects seldom do.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exede has renamed itself Viasat and they launched a new satellite last summer that is supposed to be coming online now. Speeds are expected to be possibly as high as 150 Mps from a current high of 10. Cost I have been told will drop, or, limits will increase. They are already experimenting with unlimited data the same way cellphone companies have been.
The next month or so will tell a lot, but their use for mobile users are going to be limited. Sat equipment for uploading data is expensive and installation has to be much more precise than the download only installation needed for satellite tv.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Latency (delay) has been a nagging problem for satellite service so far. Don't know if this system will be better, although these will be Leos.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall that there was a launch of multiple satellites for one of these systems just a week or two ago.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought Zuckerbergs was deploying free WiFi using tethered weather balloons?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

rbritton

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Latency (delay) has been a nagging problem for satellite service so far. Don't know if this system will be better, although these will be Leos.

That should help a lot. EchoStar 19 (HughesNet) is at 23,200 miles where LEO is at about 1,200 miles. Between DNS resolution and the actual request, you're typically around 600-800 ms minimum (due to the speed of light) for a response from HughesNet. With a LEO satellite, you're only losing about 30 ms to that portion of it.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, not this year.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was reading and add and they are talking about unlimited bandwidth for seven bucks. of course that will likely be 77 by the time you get billed. but HEY. that would really drive prices down for wired service. and they also talked about hte posibility of MOBILE devices on the network.

OF course remember this was an add wanting to sell me a book telling me who to invest in... (alas. do not have investment funds to invest with. So did not pursue beyond the ad.

I am howeer familure with the Iridium system. it really DOES work.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I was reading and add and they are talking about unlimited bandwidth for seven bucks. of course that will likely be 77 by the time you get billed. but HEY. that would really drive prices down for wired service. and they also talked about hte posibility of MOBILE devices on the network.

OF course remember this was an add wanting to sell me a book telling me who to invest in... (alas. do not have investment funds to invest with. So did not pursue beyond the ad.

I am howeer familure with the Iridium system. it really DOES work.

You'll be happy to see this then: SpaceX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS