Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Space X also just launched a top secret, likely billion dollar, satellite and it failed to reach orbit and is assumed lost. Space is a tough business!

Yup. kind of hard to get insurance on the birds actually making it to orbit.. I am part owner of one that France splashed.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm reading that:

1) It wasn't SpaceX's problem, if there is one, because their next launch is still going to happen before the end of the month. If they had a problem they'd would have delayed that. SpaceX has stated their equipment worked as designed.

2) There is speculation that the launch went off as planned and NSA is trying to hide the satellite. I'm not sure how that would work since there are a lot of satellite spotters, they'd had to mask the sun's reflection off the shell of the satellite. The US has massive radars to track these things do the Russians?

3) NSA/ULA provided the connector between the launch second stage and the satellite, if there was a problem that was where it happened.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW and way off topic: The only super secret satellite technologies that IMHO are really interesting are long range narrow beam laser cannons and long range E.M.F. beam cannons.

Oooops ... I almost forgot ... what interesting (plasma?) technology was that long range sweep beam high temperature cannon coming from a satellite controlled by the villian in that James Bond movie? [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I'm reading that:

1) It wasn't SpaceX's problem, if there is one, because their next launch is still going to happen before the end of the month. If they had a problem they'd would have delayed that. SpaceX has stated their equipment worked as designed.

2) There is speculation that the launch went off as planned and NSA is trying to hide the satellite. I'm not sure how that would work since there are a lot of satellite spotters, they'd had to mask the sun's reflection off the shell of the satellite. The US has massive radars to track these things do the Russians?

3) NSA/ULA provided the connector between the launch second stage and the satellite, if there was a problem that was where it happened.

I wasn't trying to point blame or add to a conspiracy theory. I'm just saying that Space is a tough and expensive business. Getting multiple rings of 400 LEO satellites in place and operational sounds like something just shy of a miracle but so did landing a man on the Moon.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt about how hard it is, the Russians I believe have had multiple failures over the last year and Europeans had a string of failed launches too, not too long ago

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> This is the Year Internet From Space Gets Really Serious
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS