Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Question about knee replacement for those that have one.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Question about knee replacement for those that have one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etstorm wrote:

justlou wrote:

FWIW, both my knees are bone on bone and my DR. recommended I try the cartilage supplement (euflexxa) injections first. Three injections per knee, one per week. Left knee is now 90% and right knee is 85%. It can be redone in 6 months, and I feel I bought myself at least another year before replacement.

Tried those, first round lasted 5 Months
Second round lasted about about month and a half

Just do it and get it over with. All that other stuff is just a temp fix. Replacement is a perement fix. Do the rehab and work out at the gym and never look back

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP'er here. Started PT today, wasn't so bad. Definately felt I got a workout. They told me to take pain pill before an hour before I went, think that helped alot. I also have a device that supplies another pain med through an IV thing in my upper thigh. Have had it on the next to lowest setting, it should last a week that way. Thanks for all the encouragement. It really helps to hear how successful your implants were.[emoticon]

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 191,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi John, glad to hear it is going well!! I have not been through the knee replacement thing, yet. I do have some issue with my left knee, but hoping to not need any surgery anytime soon. Dr says scar tissue from too many injuries in earlier years.

You seem like a guy with a great attitude, and I think that helps a lot with any type of recoveries. Best of luck to you, and hope you return to great shape quickly, so you can enjoy all your favorite activities!

Jerry

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

Etstorm wrote:

justlou wrote:

FWIW, both my knees are bone on bone and my DR. recommended I try the cartilage supplement (euflexxa) injections first. Three injections per knee, one per week. Left knee is now 90% and right knee is 85%. It can be redone in 6 months, and I feel I bought myself at least another year before replacement.

Just do it and get it over with. All that other stuff is just a temp fix. Replacement is a perement fix. Do the rehab and work out at the gym and never look back

Not so sure of a permanent fix. Outside of a double knee replacement, I have had my right hip repaced three times.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etstorm wrote:

justlou wrote:

Just postponing the inevitable. Go ahead and get it over with. 6 months later you will be glad you did.

I've had both knees and both hips replaced. All working great.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack L

I'm still walking, but much more slower and carefully now as the knees sometimes give out under me. I don't look forward to all the down time recovering so it would most likely be in the Fall before considering the surgery. Thanks for your input.

mailman-ret

home

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/18 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After enduring leg braces, pain killers, cortisone injections, physical therapy, sleepless nights due to aching knees, along with recommendations from my ortho doctor I finally made arrangements to have my knees replaced. June of 2013 I had the left knee replaced, then in September of 2013, I had the right knee replaced. The first month after each replacement, my pain had mostly disappeared and I was able to do much as I wanted. Had it not been for scheduling, I would have had number 2 done quicker rather than worry about facing walking on ice during recovery. I will admit there was significant pain from the surgery, I quickly realized the pain that drove me to get the surgery no longer existed.

Sometimes I notice a bit of discomfort in one of my knees, so I grab my pt paperwork and run back through the physical therapy, tighten the muscles around the knees and it goes away. I am one that now wishes that I had not procrastinated as long as I did. Should the need arise to do one again, I will not hesitate.

The only restriction that I have noticed is that the only way I can get on my knees is with contractor's rubber knee pads. Both knees had suffered significant bone on bone grinding.

Don & Deb: US Army CW2(R), DECA AstMgr(R) USPS Letr Carrier(R)
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercrewcab 6.2Ltr V8 4X4
2017 Dutchman DENALI 289RK
Ford in dash MTD Prodigy Type Brake Control
Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Device

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/18 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

42 years ago I had my knee distoyed in a martial art match... It slipped out about 9 times over that time... But in March it started to let me down once a week. The pain was very bad when it slipped. In June I talked to my doctor that sent me to a doctor that has been doing only knees for 40 years.... I am happy I waited. Back 42 year ago they told me I would always walk with a cane after the operation... Over the last 6 months I am playing golf, walking the dog and hiking trails... Modern medican has come a long ways.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am two weeks post op, driving and walking with a cane. Start out patient therapy next week.

Still have swelling but working on that issue.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP'er here. Monday I will have my two week checkup at the doctor. Hope he releases me to drive. Been going to PT every day since operation, next week will drop to 3 days a week for 2 weeks. Not sure what will happen after that. Still hoping to have the second knee done in about a month. Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to respond. Happy camping, John

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Question about knee replacement for those that have one.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS