Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Grand Canyon
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cliffy49

Blue Grass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize I will probably be in a heap of trouble when I ask this, but here goes. I have a trip planned to go to Sturgis for bike week then over to Yellowstone for a week. We are then heading south Kanab so the wife can spend a couple of days at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. From there we are going to the canyon. I realize that this is not the best time of the year to see Yellowstone and to be in Arizona, but wanted to combine that part with our trip to bike week.

My questions is, what exactly is there to see at the grand canyon. As much as I would like to go to the bottom of the canyon that will not happen as my wife had surgery and lost part of a lung. This makes breathing difficult for her. We were at the canyon about 2 years ago, but were only able to spend a couple of hours as it was a day trip with friends from Phoenix.

I realize that this is a strange request, but any help would be appreciated.

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, the Canyon is what you see at the canyon. There's different views and small details to pick out. Going down into the canyon I guess you get a different perspective? Spending a day jostling around on the back of a mule/donkey doesn't sound exciting to me [emoticon] There's the touristy Watch Tower, part gift shop, part observation tower over near the South East entrance

I found Utah highway 128 to be equally spectacular. Same Colorado River, same fantastic blends of oranges, reds, browns in the rock. The bonus of UT128, you can pull your camper right into a BLM rustic site along the Colorado and camp there a few days. Only way you're camping next to the Colorado in Arizona is after riding or hiking down the walls, and then you're sleeping on the ground in a tent.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" I realize that this is not the best time of the year to see Yellowstone and to be in Arizona"

I've been there in all seasons. Its always a good time to see the canyon.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are waiting for responses search this Forum for `Grand Canyon' and read the previous posts. Consider the train.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ohhell10339

Missoula

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first question is, when are you going? If it's in the spring/summer, you will have the choice of visiting the North Rim, which is an easy two hours from Kanab rather than the 5+ it will take to reach the South Rim. It's much quieter on the North Rim, and just as pretty.

Unless you want to hike into the canyon, at either North or South, your activities are more or less limited to driving around to scenic points and oohing and aahing. But there are few places on earth better suited for doing that. You could also attend a ranger talk; those are fun.

Both rims are at considerable altitude (the North is well over 8000 feet, and the South 7000), so you might want to consider how that might affect your wife. For that matter, most of Yellowstone is at 7000 feet or higher, so I would keep that in mind as well. Most people, even with lung problems, handle the altitude just fine after a couple of days, but I would ask your wife's doctor.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Presumably, since you mentioned Bike Week at Sturgis, you'll be there some time between August 3 and 12? Then a week in Yellowstone, driving south to Kanab for several days...sounds like that would put you at the Grand Canyon in late August.

Having just done the GC, both rims, in October 2017 I would strongly recommend the North Rim. It will be cooler, less crowded, and quieter there. The campground inside the park is no hookups, so keep that in mind, depending on your needs. There's a couple of FHU campgrounds at Jacob Lake, which is about 45 miles north of the North Rim Visitors Center. Since your wife has limitations there are still points of interest to see, that would not overly tax her health, and to which you can drive for photo ops.

If you decide to do the South Rim, check out Trailer Village inside the park. FHU sites are available (for A/C) and there's a shuttle that can take you everywhere you want to go. There's 3 very distinct areas at the South Rim, each with appeal depending on your interests. There's also museums and lots of information on the formation of the Canyon and it's historical development.

We were there for a week (family hiked down to the Colorado River from north to south) and there was plenty to see and do while there. You will not be bored.

ETA: Elevations. Will impact the weather you experience. It will be generally cooler. You don't indicate your starting point, which could be important. Sturgis is around 3400 feet. Yellowstone is around 8000 feet average. Kanab is 4200 feet. North Rim of the Grand Canyon is 8300 feet and South Rim is 6800 feet. Going the way you plan, starting in Sturgis, is actually a good idea, since you and your wife can acclimate to altitude gradually, which is the recommended way to do it. And, with the exception of some passes in the Yellowstone area, you'll be under 9000 feet the entire trip. Certainly doable for folks with health issues, if proper precautions are taken.

* This post was edited 01/09/18 06:42pm by Thom02099 *

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS

cliffy49

Blue Grass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have clarified that our last trip west (Phoenix, Grand Canyon) was in 2015 and that was after DW surgery. Also, our last trip to Sturgis was also after surgery, but it still scares her that she may have trouble with breathing even though that has not happened.

Fortunatly, I have not made reservations at the canyon yet, so we will have to discuss it some more as to whether or not we want to go back for a couple of days or possibly spend some time at Zion and/or Bryce.

Thanks for all the suggestions but if ther are any more just keep them coming.

tinstartrvlr

Currently AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your concern about your wife involves an inability to hike to the bottom of the canyon, then the mule trip to the bottom and the overnight at the ranch on the river is something I would recommend. Did it many years ago and had a great time.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the CD. it has better pictures [emoticon]

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Grand Canyon is different from one spot to any other all along both the South and North Rims. Your wife's having lost part of one lung may or may not cause breathing problems along the rims, as the South is around 7,000 feet, and the North around 9,000 feet. Things to see, hmmmm, herds of antelope, historical buildings including the tower along the South Rim and the Lodge on the North Rim. The pine/fir forests on the North Rim. Indeed, the two rims are as different as can be.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS