Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Grand Canyon
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made the South Rim of the GC a day stop only. We saw plenty and with very little effort. Heck, what we did could be done by anyone in a wheel chair and definitely worth the stop.

Pictures are nothing compared to seeing the GC in person, but dont let me sound too excited, it was not worth more than a day stop unless we were hiking to the bottom and/or riding the donkeys.

[image]

[image]

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best Friends is an awesome facility. They have a couple RV sites in a gorgeous area. Reserve now!

From Kanab check out nearby Coral Pink Sands State Park. The color is beautiful. Also nearby is Pipe Spring Nat'l Monument. You could do a day trip to Zion but a long day. In my opinion, Bryce is too far for a day trip.

From Kanab I'd highly suggest you go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for a day trip. Have lunch at the Lodge overlooking the canyon and just outside the Lodge starts an easy trail out to a point overlooking the canyon. It doesn't sound like you're experienced heavy-duty hikers so you shouldn't even try hiking down to the river. It's a very demanding, difficult hike - even down! However, I do suggest you at least walk 1/8 or 1/4 mile down to get an altogether different feel of the canyon.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suggestion is stay in Williams (RV park across the street from the train station) and ride the train to the canyon. Minimal walking that way. Great view at the lodge/station at the canyon and the lodge itself is a thing of beauty. Good restaurants at the station and in Williams.

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend a float trip thru the GC. We did it in 2016 after we had been to the South Rim and North Rim on previous trips. Also included a helicopter flight over the canyon on another trip. The 6 day float trip with excellent guides gave us a much better understanding of the river and the canyon--helps if you like geology and photography (IMO). Float trips are getting very busy, the company we went with is full booked for 2018 and is taking reservations for 2019.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot less people (North has less than South) than at Sturgis. No beer No noisy bikes. No partying.

I love the Canyon. I did not like Sturgis at the 2010 Bike Week.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Best Friends is an awesome facility. They have a couple RV sites in a gorgeous area. Reserve now!

From Kanab check out nearby Coral Pink Sands State Park. The color is beautiful. Also nearby is Pipe Spring Nat'l Monument. You could do a day trip to Zion but a long day. In my opinion, Bryce is too far for a day trip.

From Kanab I'd highly suggest you go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for a day trip. Have lunch at the Lodge overlooking the canyon and just outside the Lodge starts an easy trail out to a point overlooking the canyon.
It doesn't sound like you're experienced heavy-duty hikers so you shouldn't even try hiking down to the river. It's a very demanding, difficult hike - even down! However, I do suggest you at least walk 1/8 or 1/4 mile down to get an altogether different feel of the canyon.

^^^^^^^I AGREE^^^^^^^

North Rim is just perfect if you want a day to just stare out across the Vistas.

Images

We have always enjoyed the Brunch in the Lodge - the View through the windows is just Special. Then walk around the area close - higher elevation means COOLER, even in August.

Depending on the weather, your Exit could take you to Page/Lake Powell - Monument Valley - Mexican Hat/Goosenecks SP - and then on into the San Juans of Colorado.

Sounds like a Solid Plan.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I would strongly recommend the North Rim. It will be cooler, less crowded, and quieter there. The campground inside the park is no hookups, so keep that in mind, depending on your needs. There's a couple of FHU campgrounds at Jacob Lake, which is about 45 miles north of the North Rim Visitors Center. Since your wife has limitations there are still points of interest to see, that would not overly tax her health, and to which you can drive for photo ops.

Quote:

From Kanab I'd highly suggest you go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for a day trip. Have lunch at the Lodge overlooking the canyon and just outside the Lodge starts an easy trail out to a point overlooking the canyon.

These are great suggestions considering where you will be coming from, and especially is your earlier visit to the Grand Canyon was at the South Rim. We stayed out at Jacobs Lake and made the drive into the North Rim. Got beautiful sunset photos from the lodge, and then had a very nice supper there before returning to our trailer. You can drive along the rim and find many places to just get out, enjoy the view and take photos. This might be very good for your wife. After all these years, we still find our memories of the North Rim a highlight of our twenty years of RV traveling.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots of good suggestions so far. Maybe an odd suggestion but have you considered buying a couple of those small portable disposable oxygen tanks to take with you as a "just in case" idea? might ease some of your wife's concerns. You can get two off of Amazon for less than $25

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

North Rim is very limited views - go to South Rim. This is ongoing debate but that is a fact. And, as said, North Rim higher and not so good with your wife condition. God bless.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

ohhell10339

Missoula

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lauren wrote:

North Rim is very limited views - go to South Rim. This is ongoing debate but that is a fact. And, as said, North Rim higher and not so good with your wife condition. God bless.

The North Rim has a much greater variety of views than the South Rim. That's because the South Rim is a single relatively even cliff edge, whereas the North Rim is irregular and has several peninsulas, or points, jutting into the canyon. So you can drive to viewpoints that are physically much closer to the Colorado even though the South Rim is closer to it than the North Rim developed areas.

There are four such viewpoints, all of which you can drive to, each of which offers a much different perspective than from the North Rim developed areas (Point Sublime Road is fairly rough). You might think there's not much to see at the North Rim if you didn't know about those side roads.

Altitude is high at either rim, so if your wife can cope with one, she can cope with either--but what seals the deal for me is that the South Rim is an absolute zoo in the summer, while the North Rim is a quiet oasis in the sky.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS