Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Hitch for a Pop Up Camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Hitch for a Pop Up Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GNO22

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow my PUP with my Avalanche (1500) which is the same platform as your Silverado. It came from the factory with the standard 2" receiver and yours should be no different (though always double check). I use a 2" hitch ball. My GVW is under 1800 lbs, total length closed ~ 14feet, and you don't even feel it, no need for a sway bar. The only thing that I changed since starting out was replacing the hitch w a 2" drop to an adjustable height ball mount (MaxxHaul 70067 8-Position Adjustable Ball Mount - 5000 lbs. GTW Capacity) for under $20 because of that 2" drop + the slant of my driveway were too low to hook up the PUP in my garage.

Lots of good info here and nice people willing to help!

Welcome aboard!!

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2003 Silverado K1500 with tow package. I have a pop up and tow it using a 2 inch ball and standard 2x2 draw bar with the proper amount of drop to tow the trailer level. I also tow using tow/haul mode.

WD hitches are overkill on a pop up and should not be used as they can damage the lighter A frames on the front of most pop ups. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Sedona and the owners papers specifically warns against using a WDH.

I never had any problem with sway even when I pulled it with a 1991 Isuzu Trooper with 2.8 liter V6 that I used to own, but my trailer only has a 10 ft box and no slide out.

* This post was edited 01/10/18 09:27pm by mobeewan *

Rustycamperpants

Sugar Grove, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need for a WDH, I pulled a heavy high wall camper (near 4,000# loaded) with my Expedition and I had absolutely NO issues. Just make sure you get the right amount of drop to keep the PUP level.

2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

oil8390

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I have a question about tow mirrors. Do you think I would need them? if so any recommendations? I would need to attached them to my factory mirrors.

Thanks.
J

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never needed tow mirrors for my pop up or 28 ft TT, but I did recently buy a set of Cipa tow mirrors that slip over the OEM mirrors on my Silverado to see down the side of the TT a little better.

Fireman286

SE Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At discount body parts you can get towing mirrors for under $100 each. Once you drive with them you won’t ever want the stock small ones again.

Beer Belly

Bethel, Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/18 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on no Weight Distributing Hitch (depending on weight) but I would invest in a Sway Control, once that baby starts swaying, it's too late (I can't express this enough)....a little extra safety precaution never hurts. A tip on backing up.....grab the bottom of the steering wheel and move the steering wheel in the direction you want the camper to go.....small movements will keep you out of trouble.....and don't be embarrassed about pulling forward for a second try....it takes practice.

*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Beer Belly

Bethel, Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/18 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it's not a Pop Up, but a couple of thousand pounds pulling side to side on the back of your truck could be a problem. once it happens, it's too late to say "I should of"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-hUX8memY

b&rharmon

South Gate, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue of sway and weight relate to tongue weight of trailer and rating for vehicle. Search on this forum going back up to 10 years and you will get some great info especially about tongue weight. If the trailer has not been modified it is designed to be front heavy on purpose, never happened to me but I understand sway is usually caused by not enough tongue weight.
If the trailer is too light up front, no sway control is going to stop it. Check it out and please leave a comment to share what you learned for everyone else.

Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/18 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tal/IL wrote:

You can probably just screw a ball in the step bumper and go!

I wouldn't do this, the nose of the pop up would be pointing up in the air which can unload weight off of the tongue and could be more prone to swaying. Also bumpers are usually rated for less weight that the receiver. You want to try and tow as level as possible or even having the nose down a little bit.

Don't think you will need a WDH but those pop ups with the front storage locker can add a lot of weight to the tongue.

You shouldn't need mirror extensions, I was able to see around my old pop up just fine with the stock mirrors on my 04 Silverado. At least you could wait until you find a pop up to decide on them.

Good luck on your hunt, there are a lot of things I miss about my pop up.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Hitch for a Pop Up Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS