Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Help us plan our trip - Washington State and Idaho
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help us plan our trip - Washington State and Idaho

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something to think about is Grand Coulee Dam.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig (Passed), Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 303,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alesis wrote:

Where would you suggest making base camps? We'd be willing to do 3 nights in 2 places in Washington if that makes more sense.

I live here and travel this state a lot.
If I were trying to make your trip I do this:

Take Highway 2 out of Glacier park, See Grand Coulee. it's a small detour, off #2, then see Leavenworth, then go north on 97. to highway #20 At Pateros. drive the North cascade highway it is an awesome ride. stop in Newhalem for the Seattle City light tour.
Then just stay on highway 20 all the way across the Sound on the Ferry. and see the Olympic peninsula.
Then by 101 to I-5. south to St.Hellens then east on 12 back to eastern Wa, and 90 home.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

LFish

United States

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The previous itinerary from Tom/Barb is a good one. You will love the scenery.

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you do, do not stay at the KOA in Kent WA. It is a POS over priced place

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add, There are a lot of NF camp grounds in the Twisp, and Winthrop area plus if you like you can follow 97 north to catch #20 at Okanogan it is a bit of twisty road for a few miles but nothing dangerous. and at the top of the Loup Loup Pass the Best National forest camp is about 1/4 mile off the highway. Its well marked.
After you exit out of the Methow Valley, your next camp is Colonial Creek camp on Diablo Lake. (thats on the west side) there is 87 miles between Winthrop and Concrete where there are no services -- that's nothing at all. -- nada -- zip.
After Concrete your back in civilization. ( I-5 Corridor actually) # 20 brings you on to the San Juan Is. and will bring you thru home town. [emoticon] honk when you pass the house :

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our travel time between home and Spokane 8. hours

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alesis wrote:

Where would you suggest making base camps? We'd be willing to do 3 nights in 2 places in Washington if that makes more sense.

What type of camper are you bringing?

To do the loop I suggested, You would be better off doing one night camps.

For example the Olympic Penn. highway system is a big loop around the mountain range. to camp on any one spot. it will require 1 whole day to drive the whole loop.

When you try to do the Seattle side trip. you'll be tied up in traffic most of the day.

toddnks

KS, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Idaho it will depend on how you come into and out of Stanley. The drive from Idaho Falls to Arco (First city ever power by atomic energy) is interesting to see, but it is desert with only the National Research Laboratory to see, but past Arco you can go to Craters of the Moon national monument which is very cool and again its desert like the moon.

If you traveled the interstate across Idaho Twin Falls is a wonder and the Perine bridge at Twin Falls is amazing to walk onto and see the Grand Canyon of the Snake River, look east and you should still be able to see the ramp used by Evil Kenivel when he tried to jump the Snake River in the 70's.

Stanley is surrounded by wilderness areas, as another said you might want to try and boondock, it is amazing at night because there is nearly no light pollution in the NFS campgrounds.

BTW my signature photo is my truck and trailer imposed in the Sawtooth Wilderness area west of Stanley.

The Kings

alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions! While I love NPS cgs, they won’t work for this trip because we need the hookups. I do love all the suggestions for stops tho, we’ll try to hit as many as possible!
What about one base camp near Olympic for 3 nights, and one btwn North Cascades and Ranier for 3 nights?

Jerry

TV : 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel
TT : 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33TSBH
Equal-I-Zer hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the Stanley Idaho area here are my suggestions for full hookups: Just NE of Stanley off Hwy 75 is a full hookup RV park - Torrey's Burnt Creek Inn. Small and on the highway, but oh so scenic. The owner's are wonderful. Within that area for sight seeing is the Sunbeam Dam, right on the highway. The first dam breached for salmon migration and a very historic area. Not far from the dam is Sunbeam Hot Springs, right at a rest area and free for soaking. Also right at the Sunbeam Dam is the turn off to the historic ghost towns of Bonanza and Custer, both historic mining areas. Bonanza has a very interesting Boot Hill Cemetery and Custer has a walking tour with a lot of the buildings open. The old stage toll road in the back country between Custer and Challis is historic and passable during the summer and early fall months. Also near Bonanza is the old Yankee Fork Gold Dredge that is open for tours. The kids would love this.

Another RV park that we haven't stayed at, but looks nice is in Stanley, is the Mountain Village Resort, right at the intersection of Hwy 21 and Hwy 75. I think that's the name. I used Google Maps to locate the name. Each time we've driven by there have been quite a few nice rigs there and it's a clean looking place. Very scenic. If you are into hiking, there is a trailhead at Stanley Lake, that takes you to Bridal Veil Falls. It's probably a two mile round trip, maybe a little longer, but oh so worth it. Be sure to visit Redfish lake while you're there, rent a boat, and take a tour across the lake. Visit the Sawtooth Fish Hatchery about 5 miles south of Stanley on Hwy 75 and possibly continue on for a day trip into Ketchum and Sun Valley for lunch visiting the Ketchum cemetery and Hemingway's grave site. Aside from the points of interest, the Stanley area holds a lot for the outdoorsman.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help us plan our trip - Washington State and Idaho
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS