Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Help us plan our trip - Washington State and Idaho
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help us plan our trip - Washington State and Idaho

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

alesis wrote:

Your suggestions have been fantastic!

After all your info on travel, I've decided that we will find a CG near each of the 3 NPs in Washington to facilitate seeing each area. We have 9 nights total to spend. How many nights would you suggest for each location? 3 nights in each or a different combination? We may not visit Idaho at all if it doesn't make sense for this trip. Suggestions appreciated...you guys rock!

Just some suggestions :

Mount St. Hellens, is an hours (+) drive off I-5. I suggest you not take your trailer up there. parking at the center isn't that great on busy days.
The whole thing is the drive and the interpretive center. Most of the devastation area is coming back with trees larger than a big Christmas tree. and the weather is a big deal, if it ain't clear you won't see much.

Rainer National Park. unless you into hiking and remote camping there really isn't much to see. Roads thru the trees. more roads thru the trees. Paradise Wa. very large hotel catering to those who hike, didn't leave a great impression on us, but the view of the mountain, awesome! shouldn't require more than one day.

Let us know if you'd like to do a flight see, we can make that happen for ya.

We’re definitely planning on going to Mt St Helens while out there. And while at Ranier CG we’ll do a day trip to Seattle too (without camper).

When you say “flight see”, what do ya mean exactly?

Jerry

TV : 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel
TT : 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH
Equal-I-Zer hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alesis wrote:

We’re definitely planning on going to Mt St Helens while out there. And while at Ranier CG we’ll do a day trip to Seattle too (without camper).

Seattle is about a 3-4 hour drive from Rainier Park.

"Flight seeing" is going flying to see stuff.

FLIGHT SEEING

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to tell people how long it takes to get from point A to B here in Washington.
Travel times in Puget Sound areas varies o much by time of day and direction of travel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

alesis wrote:

Seattle is about a 3-4 hour drive from Rainier Park.

"Flight seeing" is going flying to see stuff.

FLIGHT SEEING

From the Nisqually entrance, looks more like 2 hours to downtown Seattle.

">]Map Quest

Strongly suggest Mount Haven RV park.

http://mounthaven.com/

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 311K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From advice on this forum (maybe from rhagfo) we stayed at Mounthaven Resort and found it enjoyable with full hook ups. It is about a mile from the Nisqually entrance and is very convenient to the park. If the weather is overcast and rainy you may want to cross Ranier off your to-do list. Mounthaven is full shade and the mountain would lose its grandeur if it were shrouded in clouds.

clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not want to visit Seattle unless you like lots of people, traffic and booming construction. As a native i quit going years ago. You do not even want to drive throught it.

Take 20 through North Cascades. There are a few short hikes. Stop at the Visitor Center which has some nice displays. Stop at the Diablo overlook for a restroom break (vault toilets) and a great view. Then through Skagit Valkey farmlands through Sedro Wooley then follow 20 to the Coipevill-Pt Townsend ferry for a PNW experience (½ hour, reservations needed- arrive ½ hour early. Walk slong the beach while you wait. Then enjoy the Olympic National Park.PT is a Victorian era town with the architecture of the times. There are lots of places to visit in the ONP but be sure to get to the coast to see the Pacific Ocean.

2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the traffic around Seattle is no fun I suggest that it is overrated. We have been in the area a few times with the 5er. We apply the same MO to Seattle as any other city. Avoid transiting through during rush hours.

At any given time Seattle has nothing on the Washington DC Beltway at any time, Atlanta, anywhere near NY, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia or Hartford. Done them all. I'll take Seattle over all of them & some more.

For camping in the area we have used Saltwater State Park not far south of SeaTac. Tight interior roads & not many big rig sites but very doable.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live right in the middle of all of this and usually visit these places annually - what month are you looking at doing your trip in? (We are going to my Ranier Paradise sledding tomorrow) and live about 2 miles from Kent Koa it sucks - look at Kanasketnpalmer start Park about 60 min out of Seattle and they do have electrical sides and out in the country a bit

Winnebago Access 24V

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good advice here from the locals. My perspective is that there are way too many things to see and experience between Michigan and here. So many miles to travel and too many things to spread yourselves thin. My advice is to pick a couple of things in each state and zero in on them.

Don’t worry about Seattle. You will waste lots of valuable time fighting traffic, getting lost, and wishing you were somewhere else like Mt. Rainier, or the Olympic Peninsula, or North Cascades National Park, or the Long Beach Peninsula on the Ocean, or Grand Coulee Dam, or the Columbia Gorge, or the Palouse Hills and Palouse Falls, or the Wenatchee River Valley, or Riverside SP in Spokane, or following Lewis and Clark’s route through SE Washington and up the Columbia to Astoria, Oregon, etc. Any two or three from that list will give you good memories of your visit to the far Pacific NW. Those are a good sample anyway.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok guys, Seattle sounds like it's out according to you all. I got the wife to add another couple days to the trip, so I think we'll do 3 nights near Olympia, 3 near Rainier, 3 near North Cascades and 2 nights in Stanley, Idaho on the way home.
Doing Log Cabin CG for Olympia, Monthaven for Rainier and possibly the Winthrop KOA for North Cascades. Haven't looked in Stanley yet but it's a smaller area so I'm sure we'll find a nice one. I'll definitely be printing your suggestions for trip stops. Thanks a ton for all the help!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help us plan our trip - Washington State and Idaho
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS