Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dempster Highway--Where to park my trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Dempster Highway--Where to park my trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I recall correctly the worst of the black gravel (and sharp shale) is north of the midway Eagle Plains stop, the Richardson Mtns - roughly from there to the river crossing. Past posts have mentioned that a tire repair man in Fort MacPherson does a brisk business.

If you don't want to go all the way, or don't have time, the drive the Tombstone Mountain Campground (72kn) or Engineer Creek (193km) would still give a good taste of the road.

Don't forget that if you are heading west to Alaska, you have another good stretch of gravel road across the Top of the World.

There's another stretch of road in southern BC that's known for its tire cutting gravel, the Highline above Anderson Lake - a scenic alternative to the Duffy Lake Rd between Whistler and Lillooet.

* This post was edited 01/11/18 08:19pm by paulj *

Damdifino

Comfort, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O.P. here... The reason I ask is because two years ago I drove the Campbell Highway, then the Top of the World Highway--a total of about 450 miles of gravel. I got a lot of rock rash on my Arctic Fox (see my sig.)

More importantly, somewhere along the road I cracked my three-stack leaf springs on the trailer, which resulted in a catastrophic failure outside...wait for it...Hope, Canada. The leaf spring snapped in two, throwing my two right tires into contact and burning them up before I realized what had happened. Thank God I run Michelin XPS fully steel belted tires and didn't suffer a blowout.

Long story short, the only leaf spring available in Canada was a four-stack, which meant I had to change out all the springs to match. Took a week to get the parts in, and a couple of thousand dollars.

So I'm thinking running the Dempster with just my Land Cruiser would be a lot more carefree. I figure I'll grab a room in Eagle Plains and Inuvik.

2013 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Dempster Highway--Where to park my trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS