Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: is tow dolly best to pull a 2016 ford fiesta with a class c
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> is tow dolly best to pull a 2016 ford fiesta with a class c

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jwalker21

Louisville, ky.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for an easy/quick/cheap way to transport our 2016 ford fiesta behind our Class c motor home. How do I know what to buy, how to use it. A tow dolly has been suggested. Where do I start. We are a senior couple and not too handy. Looking for maybe a used one??

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Best"??
IMO, there is no "best", there is only personal preference.
I have used a dolly to tow our PT Cruiser. It worked just fine, no problems.
But, dummy that I am, I sold it because it didn't have brakes. Since then, I have discovered that good used steerable dollys with brakes are pretty scarce around here, Shucks, good used dollys without brakes are few and far between.
I also towed Jeeps and a Dodge Ram 1500 with towbars. On the Jeeps I had a 5K capacity fixed arm towbar that worked great. For the Dodge, I wanted a 6K capacity towbar, and I found a good used Roadmaster Stowmaster telescoping unit.
Supposedly, the telescoping bars are better than the fixed arm. I never could see any advantage.
Good luck finding a good used dolly. Keep a close eye on your local Craigslist, and be sure to check in nearby areas as well.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Tow MAX that we bought used with after market heavy duty straps, a spare tire, and wheel-jack for $700. We have replaced the original tires but have had excellent service from it. We tow a KIA Soul behind a B+. We are in our late 70's and we can load in less than 20 minutes, unload in 10. One of us does have to lie on the ground and reach under the car to attach the chains to the axle. We carry a pad for this and we are both able to do it. We follow a check list and help each other but each of us has hooked up and unhooked by ourselves. Let me know if you need more information. lizzie

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a tow dolly behind a class c. Honda Accord is front wheel drive. Don’t know what your Fiesta is but needs to be front wheel drive or standard shift to go on a dolly. I doubt you want to deal with detaching drive shaft.

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A baseplate and towbar will be immensely easier and less weight.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Fiesta will pull great on even the most basic tow dolly. The ACME is the easiest dolly to manually move around. As mentioned, a good tow bar is the easiest option, once the baseplates are installed.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Focus ST

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2016 Fiesta auto transmission Or manual can be towed 4 down except the ST model.

The Fiesta weighs in at around 2,600 lb. Add a tow dolly and you will be over 3,000 lb. 4 down you don't have to worry about a place to store a dolly.

A used dolly will be a cheaper way to go. But hook up and unhook times will be longer.

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> is tow dolly best to pull a 2016 ford fiesta with a class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS