Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Do I need an equilizer hitch?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Do I need an equilizer hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
2freelife

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a great Vintage style 19ft Cruiser travel trailer. We used to be fulltime in a 5th wheel so we kept our 1 ton Ram diesel. The trailer is 3400lbs dry. I'm planning to do a cross country trip. Would it be a good idea to get an equalizer hitch? The dealer said I wouldn't need one, but experience has shown not to exactly believe what a dealer says.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, you don't need one and if you tried to install one, it would be very difficult to set up.
Enjoy your new toy!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Lwiddis

Plaskett Creek USFS - CA Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This time the dealer is...right.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With that particular combination I think a weight distributing hitch would be a bad idea. You want all the tongue weight you can get on the back of that truck to soften the ride.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe for once on here someone will not say you need WD.
Why would you want to put more weight on the front axle that's heavier than the rear?

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No WD hitch should be needed. But be sure to weigh your trailer tongue to make sure it's between 10% and 15% of the total TT weight; this is important for proper handling (avoiding dangerous sway).

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd suggest to get one. Sure, your truck will handle the tongue weight, no problem and, if the trailer is loaded right, sway wouldn't be an issue. The tongue weight does unload the front axle of your truck, though.

I tow a 5K lb trailer with a 4x4 F250 with plow package. The plow package upgrades the front springs to 1 ton springs. I've towed without a WDH and the truck will handle it fine but it does remove weight from the front suspension. I like the steering axles to have the original load on them.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 03:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does RAM say on the subject? If it was a GM product, they would state that no WD hitch is required for that setup and they might know a little bit about towing.

You are about to hear where it is so much fun to mess with a heavy, dirty, and noisy WD hitch that you will want one regardless of the loads involved.

By the way, the myth about front axle weight is still around from the old days when we towed with sedans and station wagons. A one ton diesel pickup has plenty of front axle weight bias. Note that manufacturers don't install ballast to the front end when they switch to a much lighter gasoline fueled engine.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide to get one, I suggest you look at an Andersen for that size camper.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2008 Nissan Frontier CC 4WD
Andersen Hitch

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife and I made a trip out to Oregon and back to Delaware this past summer with a 23 foot TT and 2015 Silverado 2500 and had no problems with weight distribution or sway. You could consider just a sway control because any trailer can be affected by wind or big semi's passing. Again we didn't experience any issues on our cross country trip or traveling to New England and back. Our new TT is 29.5 ft, heavier, and more expensive so I had the camper dealer install a weight distribution/sway control system. And yes, they are freaking heavy!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Do I need an equilizer hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS