Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Coach Battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Coach Battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Looking at the brochure for your coach I see they refer to "the battery". I would be curious to see the actual battery area and see if there was room to have another batter carrier installed and then throw 2 Trojan 6 volt deep cycles in there. I upgraded to them and the difference is remarkable.
I "second" this advice if your rig can accommodate two 6V batteries.

I did not buy Trojan batteries but rather Duracell brand 6V AGM batteries at Costco for $170 each. The batteries prior were two deep cycle marine 12V batteries from Walmart. The difference is night-& day. The difference would be bigger yet if we had only one 12V battery.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cruisineasy wrote:

I have a 2011 31' Jayco Greyhawk DS. The coach battery is failing and needs to be replaced. It currently has a Marine Master DP 27. 650 Cold cranking amps. Since it only has one battery I would like something that will last longer between charges. Would one with 850 Cold cranking amps work better?? Any help on this would be appreciated..

Is there a reason that it is a Group 27? If you have the space go larger for sure or 2 - 6V. OR if you can maybe look to relocate the battery to get bigger that would be an idea as well.

2011 Majestic 19G
2017 Ford Transit (conversion underway)
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks
Border Collie Guard Dog

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True deep cycle 12V batteries are NOT very common. Any battery that advertises a CCA or MCA rating is probably not a TRUE deep cycle battery, but instead a dual purpose "marine" battery.

One example of a true deep cycle battery is the Trojan T-1275. Open your wallet WIDE !

Cruisineasy

Hayward

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The battery is on a slide box inside of an access door. It came with the rig when I bought it new. Wish I had enough space for two. I can go a bit bigger. Will need to measure. Thanks for the help!!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

True deep cycle 12V batteries are NOT very common. Any battery that advertises a CCA or MCA rating is probably not a TRUE deep cycle battery, but instead a dual purpose "marine" battery.

He's right! The Cranking Amps gives it away. From gOOgle for this battery:

DC27 Deka 12 Volt 650 CCA/ 800 CA 175 Res/Cap Deep Cycle (Gr 27) Deka Marine Master Flooded Batteries. Deep Cycle/Starting – The Best of Both Worlds. High starting and deep cycle capability; Longer cycling than starting battery; Extra reserve power for accessory loads; Rugged vibration-resistant construction.

I don't know if Dual Purpose Batteries are as good for Starting as a pure Starting Battery, but Dual Purpose is NOT as good as Deep Cycle for applications like an RV "House" or a Trolling Motor.

Whether you need two or more batteries, depends on how you use the RV. We get by very well on one true Deep Cycle from Walmart but we don't boondock.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

He's right! The Cranking Amps gives it away. From gOOgle for this battery:

DC27 Deka 12 Volt 650 CCA/ 800 CA 175 Res/Cap Deep Cycle (Gr 27) Deka Marine Master Flooded Batteries. Deep Cycle/Starting – The Best of Both Worlds. High starting and deep cycle capability; Longer cycling than starting battery; Extra reserve power for accessory loads; Rugged vibration-resistant construction.

I don't know if Dual Purpose Batteries are as good for Starting as a pure Starting Battery, but Dual Purpose is NOT as good as Deep Cycle for applications like an RV "House" or a Trolling Motor.

Whether you need two or more batteries, depends on how you use the RV. We get by very well on one true Deep Cycle from Walmart but we don't boondock.

"The Best of Both Worlds.". Actually a compromise between both worlds.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dakzuki wrote:

"The Best of Both Worlds.". Actually a compromise between both worlds.

'zacly what I've always thought. The Walmart "Marine Start" batteries in our boat, and the Walmart "Deep Cycle Trolling Motor" battery in our coach "house" only carry a one-year warranty, but they actually last more like three years or so. About what warranty would be if I tried to use car batteries instead.

"Dual" is more like "Neither." If you don't have the room for two, just get the biggest true Deep Cycle that'll fit your House Battery compartment.

In many cases, you CAN expand the compartment. As I noted above, depends on how you use the RV. For example,
[image]width=320[/img]This is our Jayco. The "compartment" is more like a "hole." It has no front, no bottom, extends back to the Chassis, and its only rear is the front of the next compartment. Another Jayco owner modified the area to accept a two-battery tray, and ordered a bigger door for the enlarged cutout he made in coach body. Still another converted the area behind the battery (white plate is CATV Jack) where the shore tie cable stores. Basically left one battery where it is, installed another in the re-purposed compartment. All I did, was convert our permanently mounted battery tray to a pull-out. Used heavy duty drawer slides from Home Depot. I'm happy with the result. Can check water now. Also, project justified buying an angle drill!

* This post was edited 01/13/18 08:01am by j-d *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Coach Battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS