Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Pie Town, NM
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm scrolling through Google Maps looking for interesting things to see and do in New Mexico next month, and I came across Pie Town. The name intrigues me, but it doesn't look like there is any "there" there.

Have any of you experienced Pie Town for yourselves?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a piece on television about it. I want to go! Unfortunately I have no idea where it is.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Hands wrote:

I saw a piece on television about it. I want to go! Unfortunately I have no idea where it is.

It's here. I know *where* it is, but I'm not sure *what* it is. [emoticon]

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never been to Pie Town, but I'd recommend you check out El Morrow NM. Such a cool place. And it's been a crossroads for a couple thousand years. Hiking trail, ancient ruins, a small dam, graffiti that was put there by the Spanish in the 1500's.

I really loved my short visit and hike up to the top and back down. Really worth the visit. Best of all, you can combine the visit to El Morrow, with a visit to Pie town. Only a 2 hour drive.

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a little town out on US Route 60 (parallel and to the south of Route 66). Yes, there's a couple of restaurants there. Yes, pies are the specialty. Yes, there's an RV park there.

Not far from Datil, NM, where there's a decent public campground.

Not that far from the VLA, always worth a visit!

[image]

[emoticon]
Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great suggestions. Thanks Jim and Lynn.

Keep 'em coming, folks.

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pie Town is a pass-through town, not a destination in and of itself unless you're into a lot of solitude. Not just a whole lot of people living out that way. Which would have been an entirely different story had the surveyors in the 19th century chosen the more southern route for the railroad rather than the more northern route (the latter to become, among other things, Route 66).

By the way, [email protected] mentions El Morro (not El Morrow), which is located somewhat to the north of the Pie Town area. The monument there is now called El Morro National Monument, though sometimes called Inscription Rock. There are native American (Ancestral Pueblan) ruins up on top. DOwnstairs is the protected pond, which made the place a well-down stop over place for European explorers and, later on, East - West travelers. The earliest Euro inscription there is by Juan de Oñate in 1605. Before the monument was protected, some of the final inscriptions are from the railroad surveyors who were trying to decide between the northern route (to become Route 66) and the more southern route.

The Ancient Way cafe near El Morro (great food!) has a small private RV park. El Morro itself has a campground, too, but it's limited to smaller RVs, I believe.

Here's a picture of El Morro:

[image]

Rug

GREED COUNTY, Boerne Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to Pie Town. Great Pies. Also a very good place to stop and have lunch. A couple of the shops have room enough for your rig.

A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eubank wrote:

It's a little town out on US Route 60 (parallel and to the south of Route 66). Yes, there's a couple of restaurants there. Yes, pies are the specialty. Yes, there's an RV park there.

Not far from Datil, NM, where there's a decent public campground.

Not that far from the VLA, always worth a visit!

[image]

[emoticon]
Lynn

Double ditto on the VLA (Very Large Array.) We like the quiet in that part of NM. Very nice night sky with minimal light pollution. If you want low key and quiet in your travels, I recommend this area.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

Camreal

Kerrville, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The town has free rv parking in good size park. No hookups . We stayed there couple times for night using generator. Pies were good.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS