Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Ramp Door Reinforcement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Modifications & Accessories

> Ramp Door Reinforcement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TWZMYJP

Richland, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for ideas on ways to add some strength to our ramp door. We primarily use our toy hauler for our Jeep, and it puts a pretty good strain on the ramp door when we load it. I am currently using old timber planks to spread the load, but it's cumbersome and just something I'd like to do away with. My thoughts would be some sort of flip down jacks or supports that mount in the center span of the door, and can be adjusted for uneven terrain when the ramp is deployed for loading. I don't want to put anything on the top/inside of the ramp, as that would become a tripping hazard when we have it setup as the elevated patio... Anyhow, just looking for ideas or input from anyone that has done something similar? Thanks in advance!

'18 Jayco Alante 31R

Bob E.

Canonsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be interesting to see what advice you get. Having seen how little structure there is to these doors, I'm surprised you haven't broken it yet. I think most only have a 1000 or 2000lb weight limit.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use two 4X6 blocks to support mid span on the sides plus an assortment of 2X4s to make them work/support near the mid point.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

FrankoToo

Escondido, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a TH on the road not too long ago where they had bolted steel channels to to the door on the outside. If you picture the door in the up position, the channels ran up and down. Thought it was kind of odd when I first saw it but then realized that's probably what they were doing, reinforcing the door.

FrankoToo
2012 Heartland Cyclone 3612 HD
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do the trailer floor while you are at it.

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankoToo wrote:

Saw a TH on the road not too long ago where they had bolted steel channels to to the door on the outside. If you picture the door in the up position, the channels ran up and down. Thought it was kind of odd when I first saw it but then realized that's probably what they were doing, reinforcing the door.

Rather than channel, box tube would be stronger. Maybe 1-1/2" square. But you have to drill access holes for installing the nuts to bolt them to the ramp. Use grade 5 or 8 bolts for a smaller size bolt and nut, but fender washers on the bolt head. I'd use two in the area of each tire path. You can also use temp blocks in the center of the ramp.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'17 Puma 351THSS
Rig Photos

TWZMYJP

Richland, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of some additional structural ribs on the outside of the ramp. Also gives a way to attach a bracket for a scissor jack or something in the middle of the span. Thanks for the input!

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about something like this to displace the weight

36 in. x 36 in. x 0.025 in. Diamond Tread Aluminum Sheet in Silver

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building........Aluminum-Sheet-in-Silver-57307/203930831

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the ramp is going to get VERY heavy. Might be too much strain on the springs, hinges and latches.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking if you were to place steel angle bar along the outside about where the wheels would go, it might take a few bars to help distribute the weight. Then use something like the Fulton Camper Jack or another heavy duty leg that could be attached before dropping the ramp down to take some of the load.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Modifications & Accessories

> Ramp Door Reinforcement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS