Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Buying a new Forest river toy hauler
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Buying a new Forest river toy hauler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dennis1336

Milpitas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fellow toy hauler owner, I am about to purchase a new toy hauler and looking at one of the Forest River ones. To be more specific 30 foot 2018 Forest River Shockwave T24RQMX. I have a new 2500 HD Chev diesel and a Polaris 570 rzr, any comments?

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do a search for forest river issues.
bumpy

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 theres been a lot of not so good post a FR.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Forest River product, A Rockwood Hybrid. IMO your chances of getting handed a poorly built unit run about 50/50, and from what I have found unless you have a great dealer who will go to bat for you, you can forget about any help after the fact from Forest River and their divisions. You will however get lots of lip service if you're ever able to get in touch with anyone.

I am a glutton for punishment as we had a Palomino popup a few years back, that literally fell apart sitting still during the first year of ownership. When we unloaded that POS I said never again, but turned around and purchased this 17 Rockwood, which was an experience in itself. I will say never again, again, and tell others to steer away from Forest River. I don't know whats out there in Toy Haulers that may be any better. Maybe look at Grand Design Momentums? They may not be built any better, but at least Grand Design seems to shine on service and support. You will not get that with Forest River.

If you happen to be looking for opinions at the brand specific Forest River Forums take them with a grain of salt. Negative posts and posts about issues have been known to magically disappear for whatever reason on that rag.

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll go against the flow and say that I love my FR Shockwave. I bought it brand new, last one on the lot, for a steal of a price. I never had to return for warranty items.

Issues to date after 7+yrs ownership...
2-3mo after I bought it I lost a tire going down the road because of a rotted valve stem. I replaced all of them and the tire on my dime.
One of the drawer slide mounts in the kitchen busted because a little plastic piece broke that supported the rail. Bought new plastic piece.
Aligned a couple cabinet doors over time.
Replaced the 30A receptacle on the trailer (and on the shore cord) because of a weak connection.
Fresh water cross support bolt (self-tapping) busted that I found during inspection. Replaced with bolt/nut.
Replaced the rubber seal/weatherstripping on the ramp.

With my previous job I used my trailer numerous times for a place to stay, one time being 26mo straight. That's pretty much daily use of all of the appliances and hardware (doors, drawers, faucets, ect). Experienced from over 110* down to -20*. Hauled as much as an 800lb street bike, or hauled multiple dirt bikes for long weekends with friends at Moab. Everything still works as it should.

Just inspect everything closely. Look underneath and behind everything you can get to for shoddy work. My inlaws got a 'brand new' Winnebago One 30RE that hadn't sold, and they've had more problems in the last 6mo than I've ever had.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boogie_4wheel wrote:

I'll go against the flow and say that I love my FR Shockwave. I bought it brand new, last one on the lot, for a steal of a price. I never had to return for warranty items.

That's good but a unit built in 2009 or 2010 is not a unit built in 15/16/17 when they are enjoying record sales and can not push them out the door fast enough. Back then Lippert did not have as large a hand in the kitty, only the best workers were retained from the recession and slowdown, and sales were 50% of 06/07/08 and 14/15/16.

No one ever takes that into consideration.

Shawnattitude2013

Truckee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

boogie_4wheel wrote:

That's good but a unit built in 2009 or 2010 is not a unit built in 15/16/17 when they are enjoying record sales and can not push them out the door fast enough. Back then Lippert did not have as large a hand in the kitty, only the best workers were retained from the recession and slowdown, and sales were 50% of 06/07/08 and 14/15/16.

No one ever takes that into consideration.

Agree 100%. Current production practices are totally different than units built pre 2015. I do not have an FR product and own a 2013 Eclipse Attitude. Mine has been real good with no major issues.

2013 Eclipse Attitude CBG
Can Am Maverick 1000R
Yamaha Raptor
Ski Doo Summit
2014 RAM 2500 Bighorn

seagrace

Phoenix, AZ USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm happy with my 2017 FR. YMMV

Are we there yet?

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, "Clifford, the Big Red Truck"
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 251SSXL TH "Homie"
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail "Artie"

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I updated from the 2013 Shockwave 21 bumper pull to the fifth wheel in my signature (same as Shockwave just called a stealth). I do agree that the newer forest River products definitely don't have the same quality as the older ones. Don't let that deter you, in that, in my research, all the brands in that price range have the exact same issues. Pick the floor plan you like and colors and such and ensure you do a good PDI before you take delivery. In most states, FR allows you to pay $250 for a second year is warranty.

I would consider a fifth wheel tho. Moving from the 21 Shockwave to my fifth wheel, mileage is about the same and the total length is about the same. But you get 9 feet now interior room. You have a 3/4 ton so if check on weights, just throwing out that you should consider it.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2008 GMC 2500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Dennis1336

Milpitas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to thank you for your comments, I have one more dealer to look at, a Jayco dealer. The Jayco dealer offers a 3 year warranty on their units. Thanks again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Buying a new Forest river toy hauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS