Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Advice on deep cycle setup?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on deep cycle setup?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

75A from single battery for several minutes is not just draining it fast, it's killing it.

You need at least 2 batteries to run this load. How long/short until inverter starts beeping is another question, but at least batteries won't die within months.

Small propane burner can do anything that electrical cooker or microwave can.

centerline

Salem OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohnnyGood wrote:

Would getting a 1000 watt inverter (pure sine wave), a heavy duty alternator, and another deep cycle battery make this viable to do while running the vehicle?

the battery you have is NOT a deep cycle battery, but a dual purpose battery... very little difference between it and a regular starting battery, except it also has wing nuts to connect wires to it.
but two of them are better than one.

you need a high amp alternator that has a strong low rpm output...

as to whether your proposal would be a viable way to get to where you want to go depends on how long you will have the cooker on... up to about 30 minutes, the plan should work without stressing 2 batts excessivly...as long as you are running the alternator. much longer and you may get the same symptoms that you are having now, but this does depend on how much output the alternator has.

and just because an alternator is rated for 100amps, the actual usable output will be closer to an average of 65amps, as the harder it works the warmer it gets, and the less it puts out... the 100amp rating is only a short circuit bench test rating for a certain amount of time.

you can buy special alternators, of which a lot of these types are used in marine applications, that are 100% duty cycle rated when used with an equally expensive special external regulator....

and keep in mind that harbor freight has a 900watt generator that can be purchased on sale for about $75... I have had one for several years now that I carry just to supply the power to the battery charger, to keep the batts topped up... and it will also run my small sharp microwave.

when boondocking for extended periods, using an extension cord, I can carry it out behind a tree or over the bank and let it run without any noise near the trailer and still have power.
it uses about a gallon of gas every 6 hours, which is about 5-6 times better than you will get with your pickup pulling a high powered alternator.... and much cheaper to replace after you get several hundred hours on it.

* This post was edited 01/13/18 12:04am by centerline *

2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Multi cooker

[image]

nightshift

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Multi cooker

[image]

Yup. You have to live a little differently when you camp.

JohnnyGood

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I genuinely appreciate all the help! Thank you very much.

A few things for clarification:

I generally only use the multicooker (Instant Pot Mini) while driving home from my commute (20 minutes). The cooker usually is only on for about 20 minutes. It's on pressure cooker mode, so it doesn't use full power except in the beginning and then sometimes in the middle to keep the pressure up.

(I am cooking 12 ounces of raw beef for my dinner)

Cooking with propane or using a generator doesn't feel very feasible for me at this point due to various factors (space, no stable place to park my van, etc.), although I will continue to consider all options.

I am feeling like I'm going to upgrade the alternator, add a deep cycle house battery, and get a new inverter. I will continue to research / re-read your feedback and feel it / think it out.

Again, much thanks for all the help.

L

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would probably do the big alternator and a couple of AGM batteries inside the van somewhere.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see I'm a bit late to this party but............
I think you are fighting a losing battle here, trying to operate high current devices from 12 V batteries.
Adding a second battery would give you 10 minutes of cooker operation; still not near enough.

Some things are just NOT practical in an RV. Converting high energy appliances to propane might be the only practical solution.

(Now to see what the other replies said!)

From your last post: Cooking your dinner on the way home ?? Really ?? Seems like you are going to a LOT of trouble just so you don't have to wait 20 minutes for it to cook at home.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Multi-Use battery is basically a starting basttery with lip service to Deep Cycle mode.. A true DEEP CYCLE battery is better for house use. but may not have the OOMPH to star the van. a dual battery systems addresses these issues.

Some numbers. The "Group" numbers are MARINE/deep cycle dual purpose so you should not use more than 20-25% of the capacity.

Group 24, 75 Amp Hours
Group 27, 95-100
Group 29, 100-105
Group 31, about 130
8D or 4D About 220

Now GC-2 (6 Volt golf car, you put two in series to make 12 volts) 220 amp hours and you can use half of it.

Your 700 watt cooker draws about 70 amps of battery power So 15 minutes is.. actually rather long for a single 12 volt MARINE/deep cycle.

NOTE that the faster you draw them down, the faster squared they run down (not an exact ratio) but the capacities I gave are the C/20 rate (that is a 100 amphour battery can provide 5 amps for 20 hours before it hits zero).

If you draw current faster.. Well logically at 10 amps that 100 amp hour battery should last 10 hours. but .. in reality, due to an effect I can never rememeber the name of |(Purket?)_ it may only last 5 or six.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the analogy of weightlifting.

Boris the magnificent, can lift 750 lbs once (engine starting battery)

Rex Fizzique, can lift 250 lbs 20 times (deep cycle battery)

"Who is stronger?" is an ambiguous question...

Boris, would break your neck if you asked him to lift 250 lbs -- the question is -off limits- in this imperfect scenario...

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

... and all this in order to use 20 minutes of commute and have beef ready the moment you come home, rather than 20 minutes later. Ok...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on deep cycle setup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS