Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Owners experiences sought
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Owners experiences sought

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacil wrote:

IdaD wrote:

I'd go AF all the way out of those three.

Why ? What is the main reason for you ?

My folks have had a Nash for 20 years and it's been great. Much better built than our run of the mill fifth wheel. Solid chassis and nicely finished inside. They're made not too far from where we live over in northeast Oregon.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a Nash and really miss it. It was an older one with stick and tin, but warm and sturdy. I sold it because it was heavy. Aluminum frame models of AF are lighter. I would go with the Fox.

Their sister company Outdoors RV is really good too. They have 2 inch sidewalls and thermopane windows.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arctic Fox is several steps above the other two.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK i am sold Aritc Fox it is we will go for that one .... now all the other important things like configuration and equipment... any recommendation (batteries/geny/solar) that sort of stuff ?

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would omit the Keystone and add a Grand Design Solitude.

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If i may add one more,

We have a Kz G384FLT, their Durango Gold line is made for full time living an is priced in the mid price range but has the high range options included at no extra price.

Kz dozen't have the bing an glitter of others but has better functionality in the right place's. The Gold line has great insulation, dual pane windows available (not I like such), lots of special add-ons that are standard ...

Check them out at https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-gold-fifth-wheels/

Safe Travels

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Fox is 18 years old, and we are looking to upgrade to a, well, 27-5L. The new one has the same floor plan, but makes changes that make it more user friendly for us. We keep looking at other brands, but always go back to Arctic Fox for our favored pick.
A very big reason we want to stay with this size trailer, is we go to Wind Cave National Park in the fall, and many of the sites are closed, but one we pick can be backed in to with our 27-5L and not hang out into the road. Looking at the site you wouldn't think a fifth wheel would fit in it, but we do and chuckle about it every time we are there. This looks like a prime tent or TC size site, but if I back in so the rear tires are against the curb, the hitch is about 8" from the road, so we are legal!
It couldn't be done with a larger rig, and we like the size. We have had many discussions about full timing in a smaller 5er when we aren't getting along, which isn't common for us but does happen, but that site always settles the discussion for us.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2000 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can one of you AF owners tell me what generator ready is in reality, does that mean i have LP and power connection in compartment that is ventilated, is the exhaust there ?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arctic Fox would be a Buick and the other two would be an entry level Chevy.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a Northwood owner and reader of the Northwoods Owners Forum what I've found out is that NW in general builds a heavier more solid trailer than most in the same class. They're pretty basic in their functions. Grand Design uses a more complicated city/fresh water setup with multiple valves that can get tricky to use when certain tasks are needed. NW uses a simple fresh water gravity fill port located on the outside of the trailer. Simple dump valves. Superior roof framing with a continuous 5" of insulation. Not 5" in the center tapering to near zero at the outer edges.
NW is not with out problems though. Owners report a shower leak in many 27-5L showers. Easy fix and most know about it before purchase. Others report some sloppy quality issues like stripped screws, and such. But what you won't see very often like you do in most Elkhart brands is things like slides that don't open or close right, furnaces that don't work properly form a design standpoint. One brand I've read about has the furnace located in a hutch base behind a cabinet door. Owners complain of excessive heat in the hitch.
NW builds a simple no frills RV that is IMO more user friendly and geared more towards the dry camping aspect. ORV follows the same mold and IMO does it a little better with nicer amenities, better floor plans and nicer looking interiors. NW uses the KISS ideology. Less to go wrong and when you don't have to take your trailer in for repairs you're happier.
Grand Design knew all to well when the company was formed that it's impossible to build a trouble free RV. So instead of reinventing the trailer they decided to offer better customer service. That way buyers will be happy when they are getting it repaired. That seems to be working as GD has grown into the 3rd largest MFG IIRC. Kudos to them. But I'll take simplicity over gadgetry.
In the end though many buyers own brands from all MFG's and many have zero problems in their usage. You do hardly ever hear about really disgruntled NW-ORV owners.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Owners experiences sought
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS