Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Travel trailer cover or not
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel trailer cover or not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1Bozo1

Junction City, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a new Jayco ultralite travel trailer parked along side my house. Live in the Willamette Valley, Oregon where winters are wet and cool but seldom below freezing. We will get around 10-15 days of lows in 20's or maybe teens. I have the heat on, in 50s, in the trailer right now. Question is should I cover the trailer and turn furnace off or leave furnace on and not cover. I can't do both with the cover I have. I have a couple of chemical dehumidifiers in the trailer that are obviously working, have had to dump once since Oct.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the camp that says that if you can't store inside then cover the trailer with a breathable cover, close the vents & windows and use a desiccant such as Dri-Z-Air or DampRid to control humidity, and don't bother running any heat inside the trailer. In your case an ADCO AquaShed cover would be suitable for your climate.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote with SoundGuy.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some years ago, I looked at a 2 year old TT for sale that was parked real close to the house. Rain water cascaded off the roof of the house and forced it's way into storage areas. That trailer was wasted.

If you have extremely high humidity, only a dehumidifier will remove a worthwhile amount of water.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We park our TT outside, we never had much difference between cover and no cover.

I like the cover because it keeps snow off the roof seams and makes it easier to push it off but never had an issue with or without. We sometimes winter camp so we hesitate to cover the TT.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

defiantly do the cover, i wouldn't be to concerned with heating in our area. my wife bought a small dehumidifier about 14 in. tall, I set it on the counter and let it run. I dump about a cup of water every two three days. I tried the heater but all it did was make it sweat inside if there is moisture inside and you heat it it has no were to go but condense on the cold windows or vents. it just keeps going around and around. the dehumidifier gets rid of it. my trailer smells clean and dry no musty damp odor.
Jay D.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no reason to run the 'heater' all winter long. Just winterize it and it'll be fine.

To cover or not is up to you.. I cover my trailer. But, it sits under trees while it's parked over the winter, so it's a no brainier for me..

I've owned this trailer since new and have parked it in the same place since new and never a leak or issue with it.

I'm only on my second ADCO cover too... Finally had to dump the 14 year old cover when the top had too much moss on it..

Anyway, I cover mine.. Others have indoor storage and others swear a cover will kill your RV.. So, just depends on what's gonna work best for you.

Cover has worked for me over the years. I will continue to use one as long as I park an RV on the side of my house, under trees.

This is the old cover about 6 years ago.. I replaced it 2 years ago with a new ADCO cover..

[image]

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the cover. We just sold our 2004 TT and it still looked like new, including the graphics. That;s just because we kept it covered all winter and out of the direct sun during the summer (except when using it).

The last winter we didn't use the cover and the difference was amazing. Never will we go without again!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=MitchF150]There is no reason to run the 'heater' all winter long. Just winterize it and it'll be fine.

To cover or not is up to you.. I cover my trailer. But, it sits under trees while it's parked over the winter, so it's a no brainier for me..

[URL=http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/MitchF150/media/truck.jpg.html]

Oh yeah! I'd say that's a good reason to cover your TT.

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150,

Oh yeah! I'd say that's a good reason to cover your TT.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel trailer cover or not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS