Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Few short TTs at RV show.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Few short TTs at RV show.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to an RV show yesterday and I was surprised that there were very few TTs less than 30 ft. I would say the average was 32 to 34 ft.

There were of coarse a few of the 25 ft. models and also some of the 18 ft. and smaller including the retros but the bulk were 29 ft. or more, island kitchens bunk beds and multiple slides.

I think this indicates the current demographics being younger couples, with kids and the ability to play indoors if necessary. in some cases each bunk had a USB charger built into the wall.

As an oldster I am glad to see young families out of doors. While they may not "camp" the way I do, anytime you can foster a sense of the importance about nature, that is a good thing.

* This post was edited 01/14/18 01:15pm by rbpru *

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first "real" rv was 21 feet duel axle with real bathroom and was lots of fun. Had it over 20 years. Lots of miles, couple blow outs, bearings etc. Right size to fit most anywhere. Many good times. Finding 5th wheels in smaller sizes also limited, not many choices but they are out there.

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Young families choice but hopefully they understand the larger the TT the fewer government CGs they can use and the more expensive the TV.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

America, where bigger is always better and tow vehicles are getting lighter and shorter...

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As we think about retirement in a few years we have been starting a search for something just a bit longer than our current RV, a truck camper.

Our TC has a 60x80 bed and a 4 person dinette. All we want is the addition of a couch in a TT or a 5th.

We really value a compact RV (coming from a TC) so we don't want a 38' monster. Not easy to find at all.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850. B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SugarHillCTD wrote:

As we think about retirement in a few years we have been starting a search for something just a bit longer than our current RV, a truck camper.

Our TC has a 60x80 bed and a 4 person dinette. All we want is the addition of a couch in a TT or a 5th.

We really value a compact RV (coming from a TC) so we don't want a 38' monster. Not easy to find at all.

I agree. The big push from dealers is towards BIG. Very annoying not to have more selection of small trailers.

And of course you can tow them with a 1/2 ton.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

I agree. The big push from dealers is towards BIG. Very annoying not to have more selection of small trailers.

I went to the local show last year. Mostly HUGE 5ers and very large Class A.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The price difference between a 26 foot TT and a 34 foot TT is almost a wash....so many buyers go for the biggest one they can afford. Then they join RV.net to ask how their Dakota will tow it, and why is it so hard to back into their driveway....and should they be able to fit at national parks! You all get the idea. Im sure dealers bring what sells so they are just reacting to market trends.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 02:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLY 4 FUN wrote:

The price difference between a 26 foot TT and a 34 foot TT is almost a wash....so many buyers go for the biggest one they can afford. Then they join RV.net to ask how their Dakota will tow it, and why is it so hard to back into their driveway....and should they be able to fit at national parks! You all get the idea.

Good grief, don't say that too loudly or you'll be accused of being a member of the "weight police"! [emoticon]

What sells is also influenced by regional preferences and economics ... here in Canada smaller trailers like mine are top sellers these days, no doubt due to the fact that almost all our RVs are manufactured in the US and our Cdn$ is on the negative side of the exchange rate relative to the US$. Everything costs more here - vehicles, gas, campsite fees, you name it, and it all plays into a distinct preference here for smaller trailers that are more affordable than 30'+ models. Sure, big rigs still do sell but not nearly to the degree they do in the US where bigger is always considered "better". Not always. [emoticon]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS * 2003 Fleetwood Yuma
2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX * 2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe * 1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

We went to an RV show yesterday and I was surprised that there were very few TTs less than 30 ft. I would say the average was 32 to 34 ft.

A typical RV show. That floor space is not cheap, and it's a huge amount of work for dealers to transport all those units there, set them up, then break them all back down and haul them out at the end of the show.

They make a higher profit percentage on the larger rigs, and since they lease the show space by the sq ft taking larger rigs means less unit to transport, less work, and more profits.

BTW, you're the one paying for that floor space when you buy at an RV show. Its buried in the "special show price".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Few short TTs at RV show.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS