Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dare I travel with water in these temps?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Dare I travel with water in these temps?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the kind that likes to use the rig for what it is designed for. If it says it is four season I would just have to try it. But that may not be the smartest thing to do. [emoticon]

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We left upstate NY with a full fresh tank and temps in the single digits and had no freezing problems. We didn't see above freezing temps during the day until northern Virginia, and both day and night until southern Virginia. Go for it...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably too late to add any more but we used to leave Eastern OR in those temps every year. We just left the rig winterized until we got to warm weather and them de-winterized. Just used bottled water and went ahead and used the gray and black tanks knowing there was antifreeze in them. Never had a problem.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Earl E wrote:

Probably too late to add any more but we used to leave Eastern OR in those temps every year. We just left the rig winterized until we got to warm weather and them de-winterized. Just used bottled water and went ahead and used the gray and black tanks knowing there was antifreeze in them. Never had a problem.

It appears you have been using a 5th wheel for travels and I would not travel in Winter weather in many 5th wheels either. However, most class A units are 4 season units designed to be used in most any weather. I am currently in NJ and it was not above freezing for 2 weeks. We were warm and comfy and had full use of our water and all facilities.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it really concerns you, we have WATER in Florida so there is no need to bring your own from Detroit. I am also sure that at any RV park you stay at on your way down here, they will also have water available.
If you coach is already Winterized, just leave it the way it is and head on down. The temperatures along the way will dictate IF you want to fill your fresh water tank or not.

* This post was edited 01/14/18 06:31am by rgatijnet1 *

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your propane question; "Maybe". Whether it will make the full trip is hard to say, since it depends on how warm you keep the interior, how low the outside temps go, and how many overnight stops you're making along the way. Leaving upstate NY with our two furnaces running and some hot water usage, we refilled our 24 gallon tank in southern Virginia at a 1/4 tank. Many parks have propane on site, so refills are usually not an issue. We also carry a 30 cylinder we can switch to if needed.

AlaskaShooter

Twisp, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would carry water in the tank, use RV antifreeze in tanks before you leave and check your tire pressure before you leave. With the extreme cold you will loose 1 psi for every 10 degs lower the temp is from when you last checked the air pressure. Then take a tire gauge with you as you head south and check as the temps warm and release air as needed to keep the pressure at manufactures specs. Safes on tire wear and insures proper handling of your rig. When I travel I check the engine oil, other fluids each morning along with the tire pressure when I'm transiting areas of lower or higher temps on a regular basis.

2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would worry more about the water pipes than the water tank.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlaskaShooter wrote:

With the extreme cold you will loose 1 psi for every 10 degs lower the temp is from when you last checked the air pressure. Then take a tire gauge with you as you head south and check as the temps warm and release air as needed to keep the pressure at manufactures specs. Safes on tire wear and insures proper handling of your rig.

True, but since the pressure increases at the same rate and tires heat up as they roll, within an hour they are at about 90 deg F regardless of ambient temps.

So if you set the tire pressure at 0 deg F then start driving very shorty the pressure will be about 9 deg higher than what you set it to.

“Cold” tire pressure recommendations are based on about a 65 deg F ambient temperature at the time of taking the reading.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cam up from Fl the other day and when I got to Savanna all water was working except the outside faucet which had froze enough that I could not turn the knobs. I put a small electric heater (light bulb would do) in there and continued on up North. Although the temp has been in the teens about every night I have seen no problem other than that. My underneath bays are heated by the propane furnace.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Dare I travel with water in these temps?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS