Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: going out to eat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife is on board with traveling and camping in an RV. Our concern is that we like to eat out a lot and we like to wander on day trips a lot when we are home. We are concerned that we will be limited on our availability to continue to do this with an RV. We envision getting off the road at say 4 and going to the campground but are concerned that at 6 we will want to go out and eat rather then eat in RV. Or we will want to just take a simple ride in the evening. The RV seems that it will limit our freedom and we will have more freedom at a hotel. But I really like having my own bed and not packing stuff in nightly.
We have had a Class A and C before but the 3 kids were little and it was a different time for us then.
So how do folks handle the itch to see the town or country without feeling like it is a major undertaking? Is it simply daily planning which I am poor at. I feel like I have been time scheduled for decades and love the freedom of controlling my own time.

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe traveling and RV'ing isn't going to be a really good fit with you. Most people who RV take pleasure in setting up camp then making their dinner in the RV (or grilling, etc) Not eating dinner out. By all means, if you could survive on day trips and lunches out, then maybe try to do that, but like I said, most people who RV try and cook at their sites. Maybe you could try stopping at each stop for 2 nights, as a rule. This would give you one night to cook dinner and the next night, go out!

It's where your priorities are.

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a class A that can tow a car or TT/5th wheel so you can use your truck to drive around.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t understand the problem unless you not taking a toad with you. Yes if you only have a motorhome then you will have a harder time eating out or cruising on a whim. But if you do as I do and many many others pull a small car behind the mh and after you park your own personal sized hotel you are free to go wherever you want.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at your sig i'll throw one idea out there, a B+ unit.
Phoenix cruiser or BT cruiser, would give you all the creature comforts, a 24-27 foot unit would be able to go about anywhere and still be able to pull a small toad for going out.

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel a lot in the truck camper, so it is similar to your thoughts. We tend to eat out at lunch time. We have found that our appetites aren't what they used to be and we almost always have left overs, so we take them and there is another meal. With eating our big meal at noon, we find that at 5 or 6 we don't want another big meal, so something lighter is in order.
Our waitress in Talkeetna, Alaska was a little amused when I went to the camper and grabbed our plastic storage containers to put our left overs in, rather than using their takeout containers! Camper was 15 feet away, so why not just put the leftovers in our own containers?
When we do eat out it is usually at a local restaurant, not one of the chains. Different selections, sometimes unusual, but always enjoyable!
This may work for you as well.

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ate out AND drove around at all the time. A toad/tow vehicle/small RV will be necessary but it's 100% doable, as long as you camp in an area that's fairly near restaurants. Eating out and camping are not mutually exclusive.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want independence then a towable looks to be the way to go. As far as the restaurant dining goes, much depends on the CG you choose. Most are not near a town.

Our preference for a CG is usually a SP, a COE or a NP. These are almost always too far from an area where there are a collection of restaurants to choose from so we eat wherever the rolling home is. A big reason for choosing the model we have is the large galley. So many don't have much working space at all.

Do your research & choose from that. Buying a mistake is expensive.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, tow a car behind a motorhome or haul a trailer with a truck so you have wheels available to tour the area without breaking camp every time. We prefer being at a new site by 2 or 3, and we often go out to dinner the first night if there's a restaurant we either know or want to try nearby.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT so you can use the truck
Class C or Class A with a toad.
or
Small Class C or B.

I have to admit I was convinced I didn't need a toad. I had a 31 ft Class C which I took everywhere, shopping and out to eat. Did it that way for a couple of years. You can 'always' find a place to park. You just have to shake that whole feeling that you can't! [emoticon]

Then I started watching my fellow campers with toads. They parked their MH unhooked their toad and off they went not having to unhook and pack up their MH every time they went somewhere.

Without a toad I never really unpacked or put out anything with the MH because I moved it so much during my stay.

Bought a toad and have not looked back. Best thing I ever bought for the MH. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS