Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: going out to eat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have this lever on the front of the 5th wheel...you pull it an miraculously, the truck comes free and you can drive it around without the 5th wheel...

I'm sorry but this question makes no sense.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

When my wife and I were alive we bought sa 38' Class A Gasser. it can tow up to 4,000 pounds (5000 pound hitch but only 4,000 pounds difference between scaled weight of House and Max CGVW rating of 26,000 pounds)

I tow a 2,500 pound 2001 Dodge Neon behind it , added lube pump to keep tranny cool while I tow, Takes me less than 5 minutes (Way way way less) to hook up and "Drop" (2 pins, two safety cables and the 2 brake control Snap Pull Click and done) 8 MPG consist, 25 MPG running out to dinner et-al.

Modern cars do a whole lot better on the "Run around" (like 35 or more MPG)

Think about this 100 miles of Round Running, at 8 MPG is 12.5 Gallons
At 25 it's 4 a savings of 8.5 gallons or about 21 dollars.. It is 17 miles to CDhurch (34 round trip) from where I'm parked. So I drive at least 70 miles a week. The car cost me 2,000 and fitting for towing 2,000 so at 15/week it would take me 266 weeks to pay for the car.. 5 years. I've been driving It will have paid for itself later this year. (I got it summer 2013)

It does depend on specifics but I wouldn't count on a lot of fuel savings pulling a car with a MH over a truck pulling a trailer.

Let's say, you are going for a weekend 100 miles away (200miles round trip) and tour around 200miles once there. Typical MH MPG is reported usually around 6-8 (let's use 7MPG). Towing is usually reported around 8-12MPG (let's use 10MPG) and let's assume the small car would get 35MPG and the truck gets 15MPG not towing.

- MH: MH burns 28.6gal and the car burns 5.7 for a total of 34.3gal for the weekend.
- Trailer: Towing burns 20.0gal and running around burns 13.3gal for a total of 33.3gal.

The more your use tilts towards moving the RV, the better a TT/5th wheel works out for fuel savings but for most it's pretty much a wash for most normal use cases.

Setup and tear down are pretty much a wash assuming you are comparing like for like (ie: if you put self levelers on the MH, you would compare to a 5th wheel with self levelers.)

Ironically, if you don't move a lot, while the MH might work out better for fuel consumption, it's really not good to let the drivetrain sit for long periods.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

You can also adjust your meal time so it doesn't fall at the busy times. That will open up more parking options.

This is a VERY good tip.

Must admit in all my years RV'ing, when I drove the MH to go out to dinner, I didn't even think about how much easier it would be to find that proverbial 2 spot parking needed to park, if I didn't go exactly at dinner time when every one else would be there!!

Great tip. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks! [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Woooo thankfully we don't care about meals enough to plan our day around them [emoticon] but if you are a restaurant person and love that then I get it!!

Motorhome means bring a toad or get a 'toyhauler' motorhome and bring a motorcycle or whatever with ya.

It is 1000% about how do you want to travel. We love XYZ so our rig and setup fits our XYZ lifestyle.

You want ABC, make sure what you do fits how you want to travel and get around. You have no problems, just make it all work for you [emoticon]
You got this! Let us know how you handle your lifestyle and fit your trailer and more into it to make it work how ya love it.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you, I think your issue will be that you'll need to get a very small RV - possibly a Class B or C if you won't be towing a car. But to me, this would still be a hassle of disconnecting everything whenever you want to go somewhere.

Or... if you want to go bigger then plan on towing a car. It's really very easy to do and only takes minutes to connect and disconnect.

Or... get a trailer and have the truck to drive around. However, you'll still need to disconnect the truck if going out after parking.

Truthfully, there are a lot more pluses in RVing than trying to find a place to eat.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow a trailer, or tow a car behind a motorhome. You are free to do whatever you want.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/18 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good comments. Wife and I just need to think our path out and what we really want to do and see when we travel. I appreciate people sharing different points of view.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/18 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also adjust your meal time so it doesn't fall at the busy times. That will open up more parking options.

Excellent advice. We often do that just so we don't have to wait. I am an absolute BEAR when I am too hungry!

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Excellent advice. We often do that just so we don't have to wait. I am an absolute BEAR when I am too hungry!

That's the thing tho, with a RV you never have to be hungry LOL
I tell hubby that all the time, he says HEY WE must leave now cause I am starving to get to a restaurant and eat and I say, hey there is a ton of food in the RV right now, don't worry, you won't die any time soon HA HA

very true on the time when you eat. just before lunch is great and a few hrs after lunch time is wonderful...but that major time, wow, places are usually packed and parking lots are not friendly at those times. good advice on that one.

michaelhebert1986

leesburg, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are buying a new vehicle (smaller than all the ones we currently have) just for this reason. We paid cash for the MH so that expense is out of the way so we have money for a new vehicle now. There was no way we were going to move and get up there and have no vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS