Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: going out to eat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are plenty of opportunities for finding restaurants when you are traveling, and on the way to camp sites. I like to stop sometimes and get dinner to go and eat when we get there. I believe that in order to really enjoy RV living you need to like to make dinner at least some of the time. I really like cooking in Dutch Ovens on a fire.

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a travel trailer specifically so that I can set up base camp and explore from there. Set the trailer up, unhitch, and then I have wheels for exploring ghost towns, getting to hiking trails, driving to restaurants, hauling the kayak to the lake, or whatever it is I want to do.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My class B is only the length of a 4 door pickup and I can park in the lots at the malls and restaurants. In 4 years of solo travel I still have not eaten a meal in my Roadtrek.

1975 GMC Eleganza II & 1995 Roadtrek Versatile. Both old enough to vote and drink (gas)

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We go out to dinner frequently while out in our 5'er. Our next big trip will be to wine country in California. Most of the day we'll be out in the vineyards. In the evening we'll head out to dinner then back to the trailer to relax. Sure we don't spend that much time in the trailer but I greatly prefer it over a hotel.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mycamperfriend

Seattle, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi! If you get a vehicle you can tow or a motorhome with a (second) car which you can use for your dinner trips, no problem at all. I guess the majority of us though enjoys especially the phase of the day that you would be missing. Having arrived at the campsite, putting some good food on the grill, enjoying an ice cold beverage, having a campfire, etc. To me, those camping evenings are magic. Yes, we eat out sometimes and it's fun, too. But i wouldn't want to miss my relaxing evenings at the campsite. But hey, that really comes down to personal preferences and I totally respect yours. [emoticon] And, per above, as long as you have a vehicle you can detach from your camper, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to fulfill your camping dreams your way. Going out for dinner really isn't that much of a hassle depending on how far away from the next town/restaurant/diner your campground is. If the dinner thing is really important to you, you should just make sure that whenever you book or pick a campground that it's not too far away from the next town/restaurant/diner. Otherwise, your dinner trip will be stressful indeed. Have fun! Hope this helps a bit.

Michael
RV Camping Pro - Camp more, worry less.
MyCamperFriend.com

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/18 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HATE to cook - if I'm on vacation, I want to eat out. Ed and I love to find little places to sample the local food. That being said:
When we had a Class C, after several years we learned to bring a toad - we had a lot of fun exploring areas surrounding where we camped! Then we graduated to a 5th wheel - that wasn't so great. The giant truck we used to pull our 5er didn't fit in the quaint little seaside cafes' parking lot. Most times, we'd be able to find a spot, and then would walk back a block or two, to the place we wanted to visit. I'm sure your average Class B would have the same limitations. Then we had a truck camper - it was more nimble, but hard to park parallel on a street because it was too wide. After buying a condo to Snowbird in, now we have a converted Transit on the 148" wheelbase - not really an RV, but a camping conversion. Fits just about everywhere we've wanted to go as long as we watch the height.

I really feel like the optimum setup for exploring is a good-sized A or C, with a fun little toad along :-) We had a Wrangler, and did some mild off-roading with it, too - waaaaay fun!

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a foodie. And love to cook at home and while camping. I also enjoy going out to eat for local cuisine when we travel best of both worlds. We have a TT. So no problem unhooking truck and driving to food or sightseeing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS