Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Several new to RVing questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Several new to RVing questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Key figures are the 3150 payload, and the 6100 GAWR. To be sure of what you can handle, you should weigh your truck, full of fuel and with intended passengers.

Weight slip from a Cat scale will give you actual weights for Steer Axle (front), Drive axle (rear) and total weight.

For a 5er, the difference between 6100 (GAWR), and the actual drive axle weight, will tell you how much additional weight you can have in the bed without exceeding axle weight. That will tell you how much pin weight you can handle for a 5er. Typically pin weight is ~25 percent of the total trailer weight.

For a TT, a key figure is the tongue weight, which is ~14 percent of the total trailer weight. That figure, plus ~100 lbs for the hitch, plus whatever cargo you carry in bed of , and passenger weight should not exceed your payload.

These are planning numbers that, generally speaking, should keep you within all your weight limits, and provide a good towing combination.

2 1/2 inch hitch is a class 5.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2014 Ram 2500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2016 Lacrosse 324RST

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had such a truck I'd go with the 5th wheel. These seem to have a better use of the living space, while also preserving the master suite area (when compared to a bumper tow).

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

pbtman

Joplin, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2001 Ford F-250 short bed with the 7.3 diesel. We pulled a 30ft 5th wheel with a single slide-out for miles and miles. Colorado, Texas and all over Missouri and Arkansas. No problem towing at all. Since I used my truck also for gooseneck trailers, I had the B & W turn-over gooseneck hitch installed under the bed of the truck. Then I purchased the B & W Companion 5th wheel converter hitch. It pivots side-to-side. I see now that they have the Companion in a slider model. Mine was not a slider. I had the dealer take off the standard pin box from the front of the trailer and install the extended one (made for short bed trucks). I never had any issue once I set the Companion to the proper height.
We now have a 1/2 ton Dodge with a 25’ travel trailer. I’m into a whole new learning curve now.?? (we were out of rv’ing for over 10 years) I’m super stoked to be back.

Bob & Sandy
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn Edition 4x4
2018 Keystone Outback 250 URS travel trailer

michaelhebert1986

leesburg, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 40' airstream bumper pull years ago. Loved it (minus it being a complete hunk of junk when I bought it for $600), but it got the job done for what I needed at the time.

It was HUGE. I luckily pulled it with ease with a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 normal V8 motor. Nothing fancy other than a 5,000 pound hitch and ball. I pulled into a gas station with it attached when leaving and a guy next to me was like "good lord, thats the biggest piece of aluminum junk I have ever seen!". I was proud of it.

It was very easy to pull, however it was an Airstream. Light as a feather for the most part. I have no experience with a 5th wheel but from what I have heard, the smaller ones pull easy as well. A large 5th wheel is not fun when it comes to wind or not having enough power. Make sure the truck can handle it without any problems at all before making that purchase.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JEB17245 wrote:

First, thanks for all the good advice. I checked the sticker on the truck and the GVWR is 10,000 lbs, rear GAWR is 6100 lbs. A vin website has max towing at 12,200 lbs, payload at 3150 lbs. We've been looking at the ultra-light trailers to keep the tow weight down. We bought it used so I don't have the new car sticker, but it has a factory rear 2 1/2" hitch. I believe that's either class 4 or 5.

John

GVW is limited for legal/class purposes and has little to do with the truck's capability.
6100 RAWR is pretty much 10k minus actual front axle weight. Axle is good for 10klbs, springs will need help over 3klbs payload, but you have leaf springs so the options there are economical and plentiful and basically tire/wheel rating is your real limiting factor, putting the rear around 7000-7200lbs. That can be fixed too.
Also doubt the tow rating is that low. Even with highway gears that truck will comfortably pull more of set up right.
You said website ratings, you probably got the wrong model. Your "rated payload" likely isn't that high unless it's a reg cab diesel, and towing is higher.

There are many inequities in truck ratings although if you stay within all your posted ratings, you will be conservatively well equipped.
No need to limit to ultra lights unless that's what you want to buy.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Several new to RVing questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS