Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Information from The Ram Guys about buying a 3500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Information from The Ram Guys about buying a 3500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a wealth of knowledge among the experienced Ram owners on this site. I am looking at replacing my DuraMax soon. I have a new Cyclone 4005 (20000 GVW) to tow around the country and to Alaska in 2019.

I have a need for advice on the Ram 3500 Duallys from 2014 and up.I would like to have a truck that is rated for the 20000 GVW Cyclone. What packages will get to 28000 GCVWR or above? What about the debate on Aisin vs the standard automatic transmissions? Would a non Aisin equipped truck with only 24000 miles be worth considering?

Any comments about the factory fifth wheel prep package would be appreciated. I will be buying a new B&W Companion for the truck.

Your help is much appreciated

Regards

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get up there you will need the Aisin and 4.10 rear end. Been towing with a 6.7L dually with 4.10 since 2007 and love it. 17 empty is the norm. Towing 10.5 is real common.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Aisin is geared lower than the Ram transmission allowing for easier starts on grades better slow speed maneuvers. 4.10 gearing should provide plenty of torque to the rear, but I suspect much of your towing will be in fifth gear and dropping down to fourth or third on hard climbs.

My chassis cab is not run empty, so I went with the 4.44 ratio that allows most of my towing in sixth and dropping to fourth on the steepest grades. I needed the payload of this class truck and don't feel this would be a good fit your needs unless you get over sized auxiliary fuel tanks and tool boxes that would push your rear axle weight over 10K lbs.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ram trans is fine but its shift algorithms aren't nearly as nice as the Aisin.
It's a shame because the Aisin is more expensive to service but it is a fine trans and will be my choice when I upgrade.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to tow mostly with it get the 4.10 gears. If you will be running empty on the freeways more get the 3.42 gears. Both will handle that load. The 3.42 will just have you in 5th gear when the 4.10 will be in 6th.

Aisin is worth the extra amount.

Aisin equals dip stick on drivers side, 68RFE equals dip stick on Passengers side.

Chris

* This post was edited 02/04/18 09:52am by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

racer4

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"What packages will get to 28000 GCVWR or above?" Trans and axle ratio.

"Would a non Aisin equipped truck with only 24000 miles be worth considering?" With the 68RFE, only a 4.10 axle gets to > 28000 GCWR, and just barely.

"Any comments about the factory fifth wheel prep package would be appreciated. I will be buying a new B&W Companion for the truck."
My B&W Companion works great. The 5th Prep Pkg made it easy to install and works great.

"What about the debate on Aisin vs the standard automatic transmissions?" Mine occasionally gets loud, when towing up a steep hill, if the rpms get between 1800-2000 and the throttle is mid to deep. So far I just try to avoid those rpms when hill climbing. With the Aisin and 4.10 axle, at 62 the rpms are 1700 in 6th gear.

If the truck will be mostly used for towing, I say get the Aisin and 4.10 axle. Mine tows great and still gets about 20 mpg solo at 70 mph.

Here is a link to a 2015 Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart.

You can also search: 2015 ram 3500 towing chart

Chris and Pat
2016 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, Dually, 4.10 axles, Auto Flex Air Ride Suspension, Pace Edwards JackRabbit, Transfer Flow aux fuel tank
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, Disk Brake Upgrade

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I say get the Aisin and 4.10 axle. Mine tows great and still gets about 20 mpg solo at 70 mph."

NOT calling you a LIAR!!! BUT that is about the most far fetched claim I have EVER heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have driven from PalmSprings, CA to Phoenix, AZ and back many tines traveling an average of 70mph. I have NEVER gotten above 15mpg HAND CALC!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ricatic nice to hear from you.

MeAgain is correct.

I will tell you what I know having owned a 11 HO RAM Dually 4x4 68RFE with 3.42's towing a combined 29K for more than 1/2 the 65K I owned it. Vast majority of my towing both rigs is West Coast.

My Current truck is a 15 RAM Dually 4x4 AISIN with 4.10's towing a combined 33K or 35K when double towing my MC trailer. Hand calc depending on load is 8.5-9.

The 11 did a GREAT job hand calc average of 9.5 towing at 60-62mph. The ONLY negative was taking off on a grade of any kind you had to ease into it to get it rolling then let er rip.

The 15 even with 35k on any grade and some were fairly steep the truck simply took off with no shudder.

I towed the 11 in 5th at 60 it would be about 1,750rpm's a perfect towing rpm's. The 15 in 6th is about the same rpm's.

The 68 stayed cooler than others I read about most likely since I had added a MagHytec double deep trans pan.

The AISIN stays cool in any conditions! 170's are the highest I have seen even towing in 2nd on 14% grades for several miles locked in 2nd in higher temps.

So you are looking at towing a 20K 5er. My rule of thumb and it's similar to RAM's list 28K combined or less go 3.42's it will perform just as well as the 4.10's but with MUCH better mileage solo. Anything over go 4.10's and don't get sucked into the "Compromise" of 3.73's!!! It will but you out of the sweet spot. They will do the job just NOT as well.

AISIN is a TRUE Medium Duty trans that will get you a higher HP/TQ MediumDuty Cummins, WELL worth the extra $$$. Someone mentioned a more expensive service on the AISIN all I can say to that is "Whatever" !!!

So I would say based on your RV weight and the truck weighing about 10K 4.10's are the way to go!

Now for the details, the LongHorn with the good grill not the Limited grill!!! Also I HIGHLY recommend the Factory Rear Air Ride. Three years now and not a bit of an issue. I run mine in "Alt Ride Mode" ALL the time.

First pic is truck in Alt Ride and so is second with 9,750# on the 4 rear tires. Alt ride will give better solo ride and also makes for easier entry and exit. Truck rides much lower than regular sprung trucks on the rear.

The leather on the LongHorn is available in two colors, the lighter is not available with the stitching but the darker is like mine. The QUALITY of the leather is TOP cabin sorry guys but it does put the leather to shame in the Laramie models.

I am spending the time here for you Ricatic because I truly hope you get a truck you can depend on and are happy with!

Oh the exhaust brake is AWESOME!!!

Any questions PLEASE ask! Great call on the B&W puck hitch.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the 15 towing guide for 2015, the newer models will have even higher ratings. I believe axle ratings are still the same. Compare the bottom line to the 4th line up that will tell you clearly what the AISIN will give you.

[image]

racer4

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I say get the Aisin and 4.10 axle. Mine tows great and still gets about 20 mpg solo at 70 mph."

NOT calling you a LIAR!!! BUT that is about the most far fetched claim I have EVER heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have driven from PalmSprings, CA to Phoenix, AZ and back many tines traveling an average of 70mph. I have NEVER gotten above 15mpg HAND CALC!!!

I figured you would say something like that, based on your previous post in another thread about mileage.

My statement is based on my experience. I was surprised, but it is what it is.

Maybe my Pace Edwards retractable tonneau cover helps the aerodynamics. My truck also has full air ride rear suspension, which is supposed to help mileage.

Have a good day.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Information from The Ram Guys about buying a 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS