Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Information from The Ram Guys about buying a 3500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Information from The Ram Guys about buying a 3500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racer4 wrote:

My truck also has full air ride rear suspension, which is supposed to help mileage.

Could you explain that to us that do not understand how that works.

Given that my SRW 3500 Aisin 3.42 get around 20 average on the continuous freeway travel, I find it very difficult to believe a dually with 4.10's can do that.

Chris

* This post was edited 02/04/18 10:10am by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

racer4

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

racer4 wrote:

My truck also has full air ride rear suspension, which is supposed to help mileage.

Could you explain that to us that do not understand how that works.

Given that my SRW 3500 Aisin 3.42 get around 20 average on the continuous freeway travel, I find it very difficult to believe a dually with 4.10's can do that.

Chris

Please note, I said "supposed to". It's not my claim, it is the manufacturer's claim.

Manufacturer's FAQ link

Quote from the above link:
"What does the Auto Flex Air Ride Suspension do for my vehicle?

The purpose of air suspension is to provide a smooth, constant ride quality whether carrying a full-load or empty. Improved vehicle control and safety with better acceleration and braking (20 ft at 60mph) maintaining even constant contact with all four tires. The air ride suspension system also improves fuel economy and reduces the wear and tear on your vehicle."

If you want my guess as to how that works (you asked), instead of the manufacturer's info, it would be this: when the rear tires hit a bump, most of that bump is absorbed by the air ride suspension. Otherwise the vehicle (without air ride) is pushed up by the bump, causing it to slow down slightly. That is the same thing that causes fore/aft chucking when towing a 5th wheel trailer.

It is not my claim. That is why I said "supposed to". And I only offered that info when challenged.

Does your truck have a tonneau cover? That improves highway mileage too.

Chris and Pat
2016 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, Dually, 4.10 axles, Auto Flex Air Ride Suspension
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racer4 if you are ever out West I will pay your fuel bill to do a side by side mileage solo test. Fill to top both of us drive along the same route at the same speed say 70 to and from a given 200 mile destination. If you get better mileage than I do by let's say 3 mpg I will give you $500. I think you would go for this since you are claiming 5 mpg better than I am.

If you loose what do I get?

Are you sure you have 4.10's. Rpm's at 60 in 6th?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

racer4 if you are ever out West I will pay your fuel bill to do a side by side mileage solo test. Fill to top both of us drive along the same route at the same speed say 70 to and from a given 200 mile destination. If you get better mileage than I do by let's say 3 mpg I will give you $500. I think you would go for this since you are claiming 5 mpg better than I am.

If you loose what do I get?

Are you sure you have 4.10's. Rpm's at 60 in 6th?

Lets quit the BS chest thumping!

As far as last question, you will see he stated 62mph at 1700 rpm.....Sounds about right for a DOD 4.10 geared rig with 32" tires!

Some days, one gets lucky on the mpg. Maybe he had a blue moon following him, tail wind, a tire/tread pattern that is less sticky than what you have, along with the tonneau cover........ALL can make a difference. 5mpg difference..........I can question that. But even if he has 3.42 gears who cares......

State what and how you do, if someone else is doing better or worst.....many reason why this will happen. Just like I'm lucky if I get michiblows to go 40K miles, you go supposedly 100K miles. How I load and run trucks, I usually get fewer miles on tires no matter the brand.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geeze Sorry Marty. NOT chest thumping. It was an honest question. I did NOT SEE HIM STATE RPM's.

Asking if he has 3.42's does matter. If he did it would make 20 more realistic.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are also asking for a test drive bet!

You of all people should know no one gets the same exact mileage as the next. It could come down to your rig is not tuned as well as his rig from the factory. My original 6.5td in my 96 got better mpgs than the replacement. Even after I tuned it to the best timing etc. It got close, but never the same. He could be at the top mpg end, you are the bottom, everyone else is in the middle!

Give ricatic your plus minus about the rig, if someone else is slightly different, oh well!

Marty

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

First pic is truck in Alt Ride and so is second with 9,750# on the 4 rear tires. Alt ride will give better solo ride and also makes for easier entry and exit. Truck rides much lower than regular sprung trucks on the rear.

The leather on the LongHorn is available in two colors, the lighter is not available with the stitching but the darker is like mine. The QUALITY of the leather is TOP cabin sorry guys but it does put the leather to shame in the Laramie models.

how is the ride quality compared to a leaf dually? is it worth the $$ for that or the convenience of hitching and towing?

is there a noticeable difference in the laramie leather vs the LH? or just better quality? I'm not real crazy about the LH and really don't want to jump to a limited.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Ricatic. Nice to see you back.

For your needs I would certainly recommend the Aisin 4.10 combo. Saying that, from someone who actually has 3.73 gears I certainly wouldn't shy away from them if you found a truck with them. Although my truck has the G56 manual transmission, I find the 3.73's a good compromise for a good pulling truck in 6th gear (I pull 16k lbs) and yet still a decent solo truck on the highway.

My truck has the 5th wheel prep group and it works extremely well. I have a 20k Ram (Curt) hitch with the picture frame adapter and it fits into the pucks perfectly. If you happen to find a truck without the prep package, there are members here who have added it to their trucks without a great deal of difficulty.

The other thing for a 3500 is that the changeover year for the improved frame, interior, DEF, etc. was 2013 so don't overlook one if you happen to find the right one. Although my truck has had several recalls (as have later models) I am extremely happy with my truck. The Cummins is a nice low RPM workhorse that never strains no matter what the conditions are.

I won't argue the fact that the Longhorn leather is better in quality than the Laramie but I much prefer the black Laramie interior to the cowboy brown Longhorn. It just doesn't work for me or my wife. If I were to go to the better leather I would go to a Limited and change the ugly billet grille to a Longhorn or Laramie grille.

One thing to be aware of is that if the truck has the factory tires, they are terrible in both the Generals and Nexens in later models. My tires have been balanced 5 times and still aren't right. Had I known this I would have had the dealer include new Michelins as part of the deal.

Overall they are good, solid trucks. I came from 20 years of Ford ownership and do not at all regret my buying decision.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some claim high MPG in their dually. Others claim 100,000 miles out of a set of tires, or ridiculously high speeds climbing passes, or low temps why doing so. Most who have been around know to take it all with a grain of salt.

As far as Ricatic original question, I have never had trouble with my 68, but if I were buying today, I would go with the Aisin for the additional power.

Good luck with the new truck. Sounds like you have some grand plans coming up.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmcsmoke wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

First pic is truck in Alt Ride and so is second with 9,750# on the 4 rear tires. Alt ride will give better solo ride and also makes for easier entry and exit. Truck rides much lower than regular sprung trucks on the rear.

The leather on the LongHorn is available in two colors, the lighter is not available with the stitching but the darker is like mine. The QUALITY of the leather is TOP cabin sorry guys but it does put the leather to shame in the Laramie models.

how is the ride quality compared to a leaf dually? is it worth the $$ for that or the convenience of hitching and towing?

is there a noticeable difference in the laramie leather vs the LH? or just better quality? I'm not real crazy about the LH and really don't want to jump to a limited.

YES I am guilty of getting off topic, sorry.

So back to help you and Ricatic, I am comparing my 15 with Factory ride to my 11 with added air bags loaded the ride is very similar. Now for solo the 15 is hands down better! Front axle ride is more firm than the 11 but that's because the front end went thru a huge improvement with much heavier duty parts in 2013. For towing I really like the fact no matter what the rear axle weight to the RAWR it sets the same.

For the money I spent to have a fully adjustable in cab air bag system of at least $1,200 on my 11 IMHO the $1,300+ price tag for the OE is a real deal to me.

The leather of the LongHorn and Limited are of the same quality. I was planning to buy a Laramie with leather in late 11 when we went with my parents to DaveSmith to pick up their 12 LongHorn. Once I looked at and sat in their truck and tried the Laramie it was an expensive no brainer to me to buy the LongHorn. The comfort is awesome as I have towed many over 8 hour days and felt just fine.

Here is an in laws LongHorn different color interior than mine without the stitching[image].

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Information from The Ram Guys about buying a 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS