Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Trailers where slides do NOT block access?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailers where slides do NOT block access?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Copperhead

Central Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checked out a couple of videos on the 2500RL and it seems bedroom access not there when slide retracted. Looks like problem opening fridge due to kitchen counter when slide retracted. Agree on bath

Oops! My bad. Was looking at another model.

* This post was last edited 02/07/18 10:54am by Copperhead *   View edit history

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Lantley wrote:

The slide is not intended to be used when it is in. Yes there maybe times that force you to use slide while it is retracted. In those cases use slide gingerly as the floor is typically unsupported.
Pretending slide is fully functional whether it is in or out is foolish.
The manufacturer is not going to approve using the slide while it is retracted because it was not designed to be used that way.

As has been asked of others making this same claim where's the documentation to support your argument that a "slide is not intended to be used when it is in"? [emoticon] I use mine all the time and have for 5 seasons now, no issues at all. [emoticon] And as mentioned much earlier in this thread, there's NO caution of any kind in the owner's manual about doing so. [emoticon]

I'm not sure my manual says beware of stove "fire is hot".
But I know better than to stick my fingers in the fire.
Like wise if my flush floor slide is suspended in the air, I know better than to step on it. I don't need to let the manual supersede my common sense.
Beware coffee is hot. I already know the risk, I don't need McDonald's to tell me.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you seen the Jayco 22RB? I think it's a new model this year, I saw one at a local RV show and really liked it. The only real drawback for me was lack of counter space but then again I do most of my cooking outside.

Jayco Jay Feather 22RB

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just picked up a 2018 White Hawk 28RL. Although the slide blocks access to the bedroom, this unit has two doors, one of which is for the bedroom.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

In this case, SoundGuy, it sounds like the OP's travel partner and himself are at odds, or having a disagreement in mind-sets regarding the issue of slide or no slide for their next camper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds like they travel together (with one camper), so they have to reconcile their individual concerns.

I just presented both sides of the coin above. Like any "couple" that live together, they have to have an agreement. Either one has to realize slides are not all that threatening after all, or there has to be acceptance on both sides for a non-slide (longer trailer). I was just trying to give the OP some positive ammunition.

I am the female OP. LOL. My MALE travel partner and I may be getting married in a few years but we have logistical and family considerations to work out in the meantime.

He likes a slide for the space. We will be doing more extended travelling in the future since I am retiring in April. I agree that a slide certainly gives a lot of comfortable living space. I am the more technical/geeky of the 2 of us, and am more concerned about examining the details, pros and cons of the issue.

I do want the trailer to be usable with slide in, for quick stops. I've read a lot of reassuring information in this thread about the reliability of slides and the ability to manually move them if necessary. And like everything else RV, it seems that maintenance is the key.

We need to look at some trailers in person and see the pros/cons of the layouts. I am liking the Lance 2295 (although I would rather have storage space than the "fireplace") but it's difficult to visualize the interior from pictures. We just need to go look.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

Have you seen the Jayco 22RB? I think it's a new model this year, I saw one at a local RV show and really liked it. The only real drawback for me was lack of counter space but then again I do most of my cooking outside.

Jayco Jay Feather 22RB

I only do simple meals while travelling, and inside. But that is a TINY amount of counter space.

I also like the larger tank capacities of the Lance. Jayco is skimpy with their tanks.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

We need to look at some trailers in person and see the pros/cons of the layouts. I am liking the Lance 2295 (although I would rather have storage space than the "fireplace") but it's difficult to visualize the interior from pictures. We just need to go look.

When you do go to look at slide models consider whether you prefer those flush to the floor or those like in the Lance that are elevated above the floor. Personally I intensely dislike the latter 'cause when sitting at the dinette I feel like a mannequin on display. Personal preference.

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we need to move the slide out 8 inches to get to the fridge and bathroom, none to get to the bed, it's really not a problem to push a button for 10 seconds, unless you are having one of those major bathroom atacks.......then 10 seconds can mean a fresh pair of paints.

our list of must haves was so long we had to move slideout access farther down toward the bottom, when we found all the things we wanted on the list except that we decided it was as good as we're going to get.

* This post was edited 02/07/18 03:44pm by 1stgenfarmboy *

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

I also like the larger tank capacities of the Lance. Jayco is skimpy with their tanks.
The Lance is a nice TT for sure - bu it doesn't have ducted AC - in case that matters to you.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

The Lance is a nice TT for sure - bu it doesn't have ducted AC - in case that matters to you.

It should ... as one who has owned both trailers with ducted A/C and direct blow my own observation is that ducted doesn't seem to be as loud as a direct blow, though the question would be whether the larger trailer size in which one would more commonly find ducted A/C has something to do with this. Certainly the ducted system in our previous 24' K-Z Spree (Coleman Mach 3+) wasn't anywhere near as bothersome as the direct blow jet engine (Dometic Brisk II) we now have in our current 19' Coachmen Freedom Express. When it is running the noise is horrendous so we only run it when interior temps & humidity are intolerable, which here in S Ontario is thankfully not all that often. With the OP living where it can be consistently much hotter than here in Ontario during the summer I think I'd be looking for ducted A/C, which can be tricky finding in a shorter length trailer.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS * 2003 Fleetwood Yuma
2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX * 2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe * 1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailers where slides do NOT block access?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS