Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Trailers where slides do NOT block access?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailers where slides do NOT block access?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

I also like the larger tank capacities of the Lance. Jayco is skimpy with their tanks.
The Lance is a nice TT for sure - bu it doesn't have ducted AC - in case that matters to you.

It does not.

IME the ducted systems don't do a very good job of distributing air, particularly to the bedroom. The ducts are way too small.

Also the ducted system does nothing to reduce noise that I can tell. The overhead unit still runs the same. The only one I've ever been around that was excessively noisy, turned out to have a fan bearing going bad.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Kansas Farm Girl

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Lance 1885 (rebranded 1995) and we can get from front to back with the slide in, and open the fridge partway, enough to get food in and out of and get into the bathroom.
It is only 19' long, which we find plenty big enough for the 2 of us. We down-sized from a 24' last spring.
- It does not have a separate bedroom with door however, and I know that was one of OP's requirements.
- It does have a regular house-sized queen bed, not a camper short queen.
- We were told that if we were to custom order a Lance 2295 we could order it without the large entertainment system and wall. After taking a tour through the Lance factory, I can see that they could make it to those specs. I didn't like that entertainment wall as the space between the foot of the bed and that wall was very tight. If I wanted the wall I would not have the entertainment system included. Accordion doors could easily be added to shut away the bedroom.

Lance's are more expensive than Jayco's and some of the other brands, but we have found that it seems to be better made. We are very happy with ours. I do understand not being able to see different brands/models to compare. Maybe you will be able to find a long weekend to go somewhere that has several dealers/brands that you can view and compare.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

I also like the larger tank capacities of the Lance. Jayco is skimpy with their tanks.
The Lance is a nice TT for sure - bu it doesn't have ducted AC - in case that matters to you.

It does not.

IME the ducted systems don't do a very good job of distributing air, particularly to the bedroom. The ducts are way too small.

Also the ducted system does nothing to reduce noise that I can tell. The overhead unit still runs the same. The only one I've ever been around that was excessively noisy, turned out to have a fan bearing going bad.
I disagree with you on this - in my 25' TT, the AC can be run through the ducts or by blasting down from the unit by opening/closing a vent on the unit. Blowing through the ducts is much quieter, and the outlet in the bedroom blows on me like a fan.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll have to disagree about ducted air. I don't think I've have another trailer that didn't have ducted air. Our last one didn't,
and it was loud and by definition it couldn't cool the front and bathroom like it could the main living area. And it was loud.

My new trailer, the first with ducted AC, works much better. I feel it does keep all areas the same temperature, and it certainly doesn't seem as loud. And if quick cool down of the main living area is needed, just open the vents and let it dump straight down.

Also, my previous trailers that didn't have ducted air didn't have thermostat controlled AC. I had to manually cut it off and on to keep the air the right temperature. My ducted ac unit has a thermostat control on the wall. I can set it and forget it now. The AC thermostat takes care of everything.

coolmom42 wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

It does not.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

So I suggest folks don't pass up a unit I really like just because of that small factor.

If they pass up a unit, how will they know if it's one you like?

Bob

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our North Trail 22FBS has a 26-foot box (We were shopping for 20-foot TT's and the model name mislead us into looking at it).

It is fully usable when the slide is in, you do lose access to 2/3rds of the sofa. It does NOT have a bedroom door, nor space for a full sized queen bed.

The kitchen is huge by RV standards, and we love the rear bath with a window in it. Lots of storage too.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coolmom, did you contact Lance via email or by phone? They're located in Lancaster, CA

I'm partial to the non ducted A/C. I have a Coleman Mach 9k (lowpro) and it cools my trailer right down without the ducting.

Oh and your question about the slide units, yes, they're elevated and supported. This allows the entire RV to be closer to the ground.

* This post was edited 02/14/18 01:38pm by FrankShore *

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now is the time of year to be out looking, RV shows pop up all over in the spring.

Lantley, good to know that you know about the risks of hot coffee [emoticon], but let's talk about the slide. The way the slides are made, the floor is supported on 3 sides by the walls of the slide. The 4th edge of the floor is supported by the main floor of the trailer when the slide is extended. When the slide is retracted, that inside edge of the floor can be 1" or so off of the main floor and subject to damage.

My owner's manual says it's fine to use the slides when retracted but BE CAREFUL if you do. Watch where you are stepping and/or applying weight to the slide floor because it's not supported along the front edge.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Now is the time of year to be out looking, RV shows pop up all over in the spring.

Lantley, good to know that you know about the risks of hot coffee [emoticon], but let's talk about the slide. The way the slides are made, the floor is supported on 3 sides by the walls of the slide. The 4th edge of the floor is supported by the main floor of the trailer when the slide is extended. When the slide is retracted, that inside edge of the floor can be 1" or so off of the main floor and subject to damage.

My owner's manual says it's fine to use the slides when retracted but BE CAREFUL if you do. Watch where you are stepping and/or applying weight to the slide floor because it's not supported along the front edge.

I think your manual should read If slide is retracted "Use at your own risk".
I agree the slide is not supported for normal use and therefore there is a risk of you use it. I think its common sense that there's a risk to using an unsupported slide. However maybe some don't agree.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

*Maybe*...allow me to use the floor plan below for illustration:

[image]

So the slide on curb side has the fridge, stove, and entertainment center. Since there is no place to walk/stand on the slide floor, "using" the slide when it's closed doesn't place any additional stress on the slide floor even though the front edge is unsupported.

However, I would not use the theatre seating or dinette, no would I sit on the bed with the slide retracted.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailers where slides do NOT block access?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS