Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Time to tow with our 2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Time to tow with our 2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I let the guy at Camping World set up my hitch. He did a great a great job. I'm sure I'm not qualified. It really needs to be pretty close to perfect.

intheburbs

SE MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will also add that my '01 Suburban is wearing rear axle #4, and I had several failures while on vacation due to overloading. My Burb had the self-leveling shocks, so it wouldn't sag no matter how much tongue weight I had. You'll have the same issue with the AutoRide - it will level the truck regardless of your tongue weight/WD setup.

Make sure you check your weight on scales, keep an eye on your rear axle weight, and don't exceed the rating.

2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

chrispitude

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

intheburbs wrote:

I will also add that my '01 Suburban is wearing rear axle #4, and I had several failures while on vacation due to overloading. My Burb had the self-leveling shocks, so it wouldn't sag no matter how much tongue weight I had. You'll have the same issue with the AutoRide - it will level the truck regardless of your tongue weight/WD setup.

Make sure you check your weight on scales, keep an eye on your rear axle weight, and don't exceed the rating.

Good heads-up, thank you! I've actually got an axle leak that needs fixed (and I haven't even towed anything!), so you've got me thinking of preemptively replacing both sides.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrispitude wrote:

intheburbs wrote:

Good heads-up, thank you! I've actually got an axle leak that needs fixed (and I haven't even towed anything!), so you've got me thinking of preemptively replacing both sides.

The outer seals are labor intensive but, pretty easy to change out. If I were doing it I'd go ahead and replace that bearing. It's easy to drive it out with the proper tools, which can be borrowed from lots of parts stores for free. You have to pull that half axle out so, unless you're a pretty good mechanic I'd pay someone to do it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Time to tow with our 2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS