Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Sponsored By:
JCR-1

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two 6 volt bats in series (12v) or two 12 volt batteries in parallel. Generally, which is a better way to go.amp hrs ??? Comments and experiences appreciated.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amp hrs are about the same but the 6v's are true deep cycle whereas the 12v's are "combo" deep cycle and marine. You'll get better performance from the 6v's. If you are going to boondock a lot and recharge from a generator, search over in tech issues about upgrading your charger/converter and the wiring to the batteries.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 6v.
This gets discussed to death about every couple weeks. If you search the topic you could find enough reading material for years.

RasMouSein

Dieppe, New-Brunswick, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have industrial "true" deep cycle 12v... 2 for a total of 430amp/h...
The local battery shop had a deal a the time, so it made sense for me.
People go for the 6v because (story goes) of the footprint, they tend to be taller and fit in the same rack. Therefore more amp/hour in the same place.

It's a hobby for me to make things better!
See I was able to post using full words!!
Have a nice day ">
2017 KZ, Sportsmen Classic 181BHS. 430Amp-h, Trimetric, 2kw Honda, Iota DLS-55_IQ4

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One 6v goes out and you're in trouble.

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

lawrosa

Howell NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AH's are AH's... I have 3 12 volt 75 AH batts.. The thing is the space constraints..Not really weight

Ill be going to 6 volt soon. This will allow me to eliminate the 3rd battery.

The GC2 6 volts are 64 lbs. x 2 = 128 lbs.
DC 24 series are 42 lbs x 3 = 126 lbs

GC2 are 230 ah's
DC24 are 75 ah x 3 = 225 ah..

Now if you try to get a large 12 volt to match the ah of the 6's your talking space issues.

Group 31's @ 105 ah are big x2 = 210 ah's.. But still 60 lbs x2 = 120 lbs.

So do the math all you want. 2x 6 volt will win everytime IMO.

The other thing is you need a way to charge them properly of they will die a slow death..

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa

Howell NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankShore wrote:

One 6v goes out and you're in trouble.

Yes. In that instance your options are.

1. Go out and buy another battery. You can find 6 volts without much trouble locally.
2. Disconnect the batteries and run the RV off the tow vehicles battery temporarily to get you through the weekend.
3. disconnect batts and Run off generator to get you through.

lawrosa

Howell NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$114 bucks with 10% coupon thats - $23 bucks.

Comes to about $207 with core and without taxes..

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RasMouSein wrote:

People go for the 6v because (story goes) of the footprint, they tend to be taller and fit in the same rack. Therefore more amp/hour in the same place.

Closer to the truth ... many go for two 6 volt GC-2s because pundits here on the forum tell them that's the "better" way to go. [emoticon] In reality there's much more to the story and a pair of properly selected G31 12 volts in parallel, some of which are in fact true deep cycle despite what the "experts" here will tell you, could serve some just as well or better. Aside from the obvious advantage that if one 12 volt fails you can still "fly", another is that 12 volt jugs usually have less internal resistance, which in turn means if you're using those batts to power an inverter chances are voltage drop under heavy load is going to be less. So too do more expensive AGM batts have less internal resistance. OTOH, a pair of GC-2s will have a smaller footprint and therefore may be easier to mount than a pair of G31s. They generally also offer the biggest bang for the buck, especially flooded, as so many are sold for so many different uses, not just in RVs. So which is "better"? - you be the judge, for your own reasons, not for someone else's. [emoticon]

FWIW, this spring I'm replacing my pooched 10 yr old flooded G27 that's been sitting on the tongue with a single G31 AGM that will be mounted in the front pass through storage compartment where the run to my 1000 watt PSW inverter will be much shorter. I'm installing only one because we most often camp with shore power available, only occasionally without it, but if we dry camped more often I'd run 2 in parallel ... personal choice. [emoticon] Keep in mind though that what batteries, how many you install, their AH rating, and charging requirements must be properly matched to the charger you intend to use to maintain those batteries ... don't get that right and you'll be replacing those batteries sooner rather than later regardless of whether they're 6 volt or 12 volt jugs. [emoticon]

Fishhunter

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This discussion brought up a question I've been wondering about..if your TV is plugged into the TT you can run off the TV batteries...will this also charge the TV batteries when the TT is plugged into AC or running off generator?

ORV 24RLS Titanium on order
2015 Ram 3500 SRW, LB,Tork Lift tiedowns, Stableloads, Superhitch,Hellwig Bigwig, Fast Guns
2015 Adventurer 86FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS