Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: gel coat cleaner/wax????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> gel coat cleaner/wax????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a older (2004) TT with the smooth outside walls gel coat type finish which is dull I guess from oxidation over the years.
Anyone know of a good product to kind of bring back a little shine to the outside? Also if possible something easy to apply and take off, LOL.
thanks

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elbow grease? Not sold at stores. Seriously, Mother’s products.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McGuires i the blue bottle. Its what a lot of boat shops use. 3M also gets high reviews. As does Colinite products. Anything you do is going to take a lot of work.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

skipro3

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Super Clean and warm water with a nylon bristled brush to clean the surface, then ammonia water with a sponge and finally a rinse with a water softener like Calgon and water. The Calgon makes the final rinse sheen and not bead up and water spot.
Then I coat with CorrosionX 61002 Rejex 16oz Bottle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006V........f=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read the reviews and see if it's something you'd like to try. Pricey but lasts a full year easy. I've used it on everything from fiberglass, gel coat, metal, even lexan and helicopter canopy. Nothing sticks to it, bugs rinse right off.

2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab w/diesel and manual tranny.
2012 Lance 855S camper

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sea Power is a fiberglass cleaner wav. Best applied and removed with a power buffer but doable by hand. Poly Glo is very easy to apply. Good cleaning then several coats with a sponge applicator in alternating directions. Used it on a fiberglass sailboat I had that had been neglected. During the first haul out I did the PolyGlo. Stayed shiny for several years.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poly glo, just like Zep floor wax puts a sacrificial costing on that shines up dull gelcoat but it doesn't last forever.
Only real way is cut and polish. Not totally practical on large surface areas.
But those are the options.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound is the easiest one I've found to clean-up an oxidized boat, or camper. When you finish with this use a wax of your choice, I use Turtle Wax. These products probably give the best longest lasting results without killing yourself.....and I have used many.
Cheers, Brian

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oxidation removers don't "remove" a surface layer of something that will return the original shine underneath, they're an abrasive cutting/polishing/rubbing compound that polishes the surface to restore the shine and you need to learn how to use them correctly. Some compounds are more abrasive than others and you may want to test it on a less conspicuous spot first, like say a compartment door. For larger areas, a power buffer is the way to go and will give a better finish otherwise, old fashioned elbow grease will work but is slow and painful. Use a quality wax afterwards to help protect the gel coat and some 303 protectant on the decals and trim.

There's lots of oxidation removers on the market and lots of how to info. on the internet. Meguiars for example has a catalog of products for marine and RV use here. They have a #M44 color restorer for light oxidation, M49 for moderate oxidation and M67 & M91 for severe oxidation and range from being lightly abrasive to heavily abrasive. Their website also has some good info. I doubt severe or maybe even moderate removers are a good idea on RVs.

Our front cap started to fade along the top last year after only 3 seasons. I used some Meguiars oxidation remover which helped somewhat but still not shiny like the rest of the exterior. I can't lean a ladder against the cap and reaching over from the roof is hard so can't apply enough elbow grease. I use a good synthetic marine wax every year but oxidation seems inevitable on RVs regardless. [emoticon]

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use search feature for Zep - an acrlyic floor polish that is similar to the expensive marine products that are popular in restoring faded fiberglass on boats. Takes some prep but if you do the prep it's easy to put on, long lasting, easy to touch up. I have 92 RV which looks better than most of my friends newer RV's - been using for 6+ years.

Kevin

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Armstrong cleaner wax. Made by many manufacturers. No such thing as EASY, especially if it has been neglected for many years. Also no such thing as long lasting one step cleaner wax. Have to get the oxidation off. Work. Next it needs a pure wax or protectant. More work.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> gel coat cleaner/wax????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS