Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Starting the new truck hunt
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Starting the new truck hunt

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
dugwms

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We currently pull a Flagstaff 26RLWS, 30' and 7500lbs or so, with a 2002 Chevy 1500HD. Ole Red is getting a little long in the tooth and it's time to consider a new tow vehicle. Looking at Ford, Chevy and Ram 250/2500 trucks. When/if we upgrade the RV, it won't be with anything considerably bigger than what we have. Have been very happy with the 1500HD. It's basically a 3/4 ton truck in disguise. 3080lb payload, 6.0, 4L80 transmission, 8 lug wheels and 373 rear end. Tows very well. Anyway, I would like owners impressions of the differences between the manufacturers. Not just ratings but, having lived with a truck for a few years, what are your impressions and experiences? Reliability? There doesn't seem to be a major cost difference between any of them of any significance and the capabilities are very similar for what we'll be dealing with. Not considering a diesel, just doesn't work for us. Greatly appreciate everyone's input.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any of them would work. I will say the park rangers where we camp host have one of the aluminum bed Fords and absolutely HATE it. After less than one year the bed already had holes in it. Lots of dents too from putting stuff in there. So if you actually use your truck for more than a grocery getter, think carefully. As for which one? Go drive them all. Ram, folowed by Ford probably have the most polished interiors. GM follows third. When you finally decide, check places like Dennis Dillon, and Dave Smith motors for their best fly/drive price.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

The_Owl

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Any of them would work. I will say the park rangers where we camp host have one of the aluminum bed Fords and absolutely HATE it. After less than one year the bed already had holes in it. Lots of dents too from putting stuff in there. So if you actually use your truck for more than a grocery getter, think carefully. As for which one? Go drive them all. Ram, folowed by Ford probably have the most polished interiors. GM follows third. When you finally decide, check places like Dennis Dillon, and Dave Smith motors for their best fly/drive price.

This is a very good summary and is what I saw as I was searching for a new rig. Ended up with the Ram but bigger since I have a larger trailer. I have an 04 Chevy truck for work and it doesn’t seem like GM has improved as much as Ram has since I first owned one 12 years ago.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're looking at new trucks and considering the possibility of a future RV upgrade, skip the 3/4-ton trucks and go straight to a SRW 1-ton. In the same configuration and option package, the price difference is very small but the payload differences are big. There are lots of people who are sorry they bought a 2500/F250 (including me in the past) but I've never met anyone who was sorry they bought a 3500/F350. All three brands will do the job.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hardly consider how an employee treats a company vehicle a fair comparison to how someone would treat their own. I know several people that drive aluminum box F150's. Not one of them has dents or a hole in their's, or even scratchd paint. I see it everyday on construction sites. People abusing the trucks that the company owns compared to how they treat their own truck. I've seen 2500 series and 3500 series Chevy, Ford and Ram's beat to shiiit in 3 months. That's the difference between someone that bought and paid for their $50,000.00 truck and someone that drives a truck they didn't have to pay for.

Show me someone's personal vehicle that has holes in it and then we'll talk.
Or how about any of you Chevy or Ram owners that would let me dump a load of blocks into your $50,000.00 truck with a loader raise your hand.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Show me someone's personal vehicle that has holes in it and then we'll talk.
Or how about any of you Chevy or Ram owners that would let me dump a load of blocks into your $50,000.00 truck with a loader raise your hand.

OK, I just unloaded 5000 pounds of inch and a half minus rock out of the bed of my Ram. No scratches or dents. Could you say the same for an aluminum bed? I doubt it. BTW this is my personal truck bought specifically for hauling my fiver, not a work truck. I like many people buy and use their trucks for everything. Not garage queens.
Buy what floats your boat, and if that happens to be an aluminum Ford glad for you. All I did was point out how unhappy the park rangers were with the choice thrust upon them by the powers to be at the State motor pool. The truck is driven by only a few employees, and while it is used for work they do take pride in their equipment.

dugwms

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have experience with the Ram 6.4 and 373 gears? I've heard that the combination seems to hunt for the best gear and can be annoying.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were shopping for a gas 3/4 ton right now then it would be the new F250.
while I've owned my 2012 Ram 2500 CTD for 5.5 years and have relatively few issues with it, I'm not totally sold on the Rams 6 sp tranny with the 6.4. From reading it sounds like the 2nd to 3rd gear spacing is too far apart and at times it's either would out or bogging down. Maybe it won't hardly ever be an issue but it wouldn't be there with the F250.
Ford has upped the power on the 6.2 and with the new body style, thats the way I'd go.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven’t spent time in the newest iteration of the Super dutys, but in the last 5 years I’ve run 2 - F250 gassers. Both ran great, 1 had a few annoying electrical issues.
2 Chevy 1500s. Both flawless, but one of the other fleet rigs had a complete electrical cardiac arrest, lol, up in the Arctic. They claim it was diesel in the gas though. I still believe it was electrical since I was the last one that fueled it....from the gasoline tank. Diesel nozzle wouldn’t fit anyway.
Fleet of Ram 3500 and 2500 diesels all 2014 models. I drove 1 of them. They were as good as any of the others
Right now today, it’s pick the best deal, color, options......or brand if you’re brand loyal. Not a turd in the bunch.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had six HD 1 ton SRW diesel pick ups since 2010. We had a 2010 GMC and a 2011 Ford both were great trucks. In 2016 we replaced them both with Fords. In 2017 one of the new trucks got stolen so we replaced both with new Fords again. As much as I liked the old style Ford I like the new one even better. I'm still trying to sell my 2016 if you happen to be interested....30,000 miles and mint condition fully loaded Platinum, 51000 US.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Starting the new truck hunt
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS