Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Starting the new truck hunt
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Starting the new truck hunt

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah shucks Dugwms! Just go for the "gusto". Get the 3500 dully long bed, crew cab diesel. You'll never need another truck again!

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Samsonsworld wrote:

Who the heck spends $40-$70k on a new vehicle and doesn't get a bed liner?

I would. I have had trucks without bed liners, and now I have one with a bed liner (spray in type). I have also had trucks with the cheap plastic liners and rubber liners in the floor. If I have a choice, I would rather not have one. I just got done hauling a transmission in my truck, I have washed and washed and there is still oil in the liner that I just can't seem to get to go away. With a metal bed, a single wash would have taken care of it. I've never really had a problem with stuff sliding around with either set-up, because I just tie things down, so that is a non-issue for me. Not much moisture or salt here, so rust is not an issue.

All that being said, my preference is a metal flat-bed, and I would never spend $40-$70k on a truck anyways, but if I did, I wouldn't have a spray in bed-liner.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate bed liners. The cheapo plastic ones are too slippery when wet. The spray in type are hard on the knees and so are the ribbed type plastic ones. Going on 5.5 years without a bed liner and the beds just fine. If the next owner doesn't like the look of the scratches then he can get his own bed liner to cover them up. [emoticon]

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great discussion!! I have a 2018 Ford F250 Crew Cab, 6.75' bed, diesel, 4X4 on order, so I don't have experience with it yet.
One poster said "I will never buy a Ford because of...." Well, I had a bad experience with Dodge, and feel the same way. Probably irrational.
It also depends on what features are important to you. We each have individual preferences beyond all the specs.
For me, I want the high tech that the Ford has. Cameras, blindspot and especially the adaptive cruise control.
Good luck in your search!

Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2014 BMW R1200GSA

Samsonsworld

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last two dealers I bought from put liners in all their trucks as an add on. I've gone without, with a mat, with plastic and with spray on. I never found a situation where I preferred to go without, spills included.

* This post was edited 02/05/18 12:35pm by Samsonsworld *

dugwms

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ltrip wrote:

Great discussion!! I have a 2018 Ford F250 Crew Cab, 6.75' bed, diesel, 4X4 on order, so I don't have experience with it yet.
One poster said "I will never buy a Ford because of...." Well, I had a bad experience with Dodge, and feel the same way. Probably irrational.
It also depends on what features are important to you. We each have individual preferences beyond all the specs.
For me, I want the high tech that the Ford has. Cameras, blindspot and especially the adaptive cruise control.
Good luck in your search!

We're going exactly opposite. As plain and simple as possible. This truck's sole purpose in life will be to tow our RV and keep the dog out of the nice cars. The less stuff to break, the better. That's what I like so much about our 02 1500HD. Simple as a rock and very little to go wrong when you're miles from anywhere camping.

ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dugwms wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Ram 6.4 and 373 gears? I've heard that the combination seems to hunt for the best gear and can be annoying.

I had a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s. Lost it going through a divorce, but it pulled 12,000lbs worth of 37' 5er no problem.
I'd highly recommend it.

Don't have anything bad to say about the GM and Ford gas engines, other than the GM 6.0L is quite low on power compared to the other two makes.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 360 Gas 4.10 Auto
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55 Auto
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73 Auto
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10 Auto
All above are sold
Current: 2006 Chev 1500 and a 2010 Jayco 17z

dugwms

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

dugwms wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Ram 6.4 and 373 gears? I've heard that the combination seems to hunt for the best gear and can be annoying.

I had a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s. Lost it going through a divorce, but it pulled 12,000lbs worth of 37' 5er no problem.
I'd highly recommend it.

Don't have anything bad to say about the GM and Ford gas engines, other than the GM 6.0L is quite low on power compared to the other two makes.

That's exactly the kind of statement I was looking for. Thanks.

Quantum82

Niagara

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've seen, put a bed liner in the back of the truck and the aluminum bed is just fine. Stands up to the same punishment at the steel.

I wanted the lighter truck, to get the higher payload. The equivalent Ram to my truck has an 1100lbs payload rating vs. my 1813lbs rating, which meant I go go with a 150 over a 250 of a different brand truck.

All depends on your needs I suppose.

2016 F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

Show me someone's personal vehicle that has holes in it and then we'll talk.
Or how about any of you Chevy or Ram owners that would let me dump a load of blocks into your $50,000.00 truck with a loader raise your hand.

OK, I just unloaded 5000 pounds of inch and a half minus rock out of the bed of my Ram. No scratches or dents. Could you say the same for an aluminum bed? I doubt it. BTW this is my personal truck bought specifically for hauling my fiver, not a work truck. I like many people buy and use their trucks for everything. Not garage queens.
Buy what floats your boat, and if that happens to be an aluminum Ford glad for you. All I did was point out how unhappy the park rangers were with the choice thrust upon them by the powers to be at the State motor pool. The truck is driven by only a few employees, and while it is used for work they do take pride in their equipment.

Ok... Your motive is loud and clear! Here's a video of a Ford bed that hauled 100k pounds of rock for 1 day.

Enjoy... Link

Just so you know I know a rancher that has a F150 that repairs our fences and on any given day has barbed wires rolls and T Posts in the back of his bed. The bed surface probably has very little paint left, but the bed material itself is held up very well.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Starting the new truck hunt
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS