Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Starting the new truck hunt
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Starting the new truck hunt

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
petrel

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just replaced my 1997 F350 CC LB PSD with a 2017 F450 CC LB PSD. I am not brand loyal. I just looked at everything and liked the Ford best. It drives like a dream, has a huge cabin, and tows everything I hang on it with little noticeable effort.

43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quantum82 wrote:

From what I've seen, put a bed liner in the back of the truck and the aluminum bed is just fine. Stands up to the same punishment at the steel.

I wanted the lighter truck, to get the higher payload. The equivalent Ram to my truck has an 1100lbs payload rating vs. my 1813lbs rating, which meant I go go with a 150 over a 250 of a different brand truck.

All depends on your needs I suppose.

I'm in the truck hunt also to upgrade my '12 F150 Ecoboost. Gas, not Diesel, and I can buy a F250 XLT for the same price as a F150 w/ Ecoboost and Max Tow. The downsides are the higher cab, harsher ride, gas mileage hit as a daily driver, and higher maintenance costs. 72K miles on my F150EB, no issues.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") supercab
Just DW & me......

zztinker

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

I hardly consider how an employee treats a company vehicle a fair comparison to how someone would treat their own. I know several people that drive aluminum box F150's. Not one of them has dents or a hole in their's, or even scratchd paint. I see it everyday on construction sites. People abusing the trucks that the company owns compared to how they treat their own truck. I've seen 2500 series and 3500 series Chevy, Ford and Ram's beat to shiiit in 3 months. That's the difference between someone that bought and paid for their $50,000.00 truck and someone that drives a truck they didn't have to pay for.

Show me someone's personal vehicle that has holes in it and then we'll talk.
Or how about any of you Chevy or Ram owners that would let me dump a load of blocks into your $50,000.00 truck with a loader raise your hand.

Most people including myself have bed liners in my 2017 f250

2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 31.5RLDS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Ford 350 PSD SRW, long Bed, Champion 2000i inverter Generator and a Champion 3500/4000 Gen.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dugwms wrote:

Ltrip wrote:

Great discussion!! I have a 2018 Ford F250 Crew Cab, 6.75' bed, diesel, 4X4 on order, so I don't have experience with it yet.
One poster said "I will never buy a Ford because of...." Well, I had a bad experience with Dodge, and feel the same way. Probably irrational.
It also depends on what features are important to you. We each have individual preferences beyond all the specs.
For me, I want the high tech that the Ford has. Cameras, blindspot and especially the adaptive cruise control.
Good luck in your search!

We're going exactly opposite. As plain and simple as possible. This truck's sole purpose in life will be to tow our RV and keep the dog out of the nice cars. The less stuff to break, the better. That's what I like so much about our 02 1500HD. Simple as a rock and very little to go wrong when you're miles from anywhere camping.

It sounds to me like you would be best off with the F150 XLT and max payload package. I like the Ecoboost but since you like simplicity the 5.0 is also a good choice. Everybody's trucks are getting uprated and most half tons now pull as well or better than older 3/4 ton trucks and my experience confirms that in my mind. All of the 3/4 ton trucks suffer from old gas engines right now which are durable but not the most efficient around. If you drive much empty I think that you would like the mileage of a half ton truck. I am pulling a much heavier trailer than yours with my F150 and have had no issues with it.

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

I hardly consider how an employee treats a company vehicle a fair comparison to how someone would treat their own. I know several people that drive aluminum box F150's. Not one of them has dents or a hole in their's, or even scratchd paint. I see it everyday on construction sites. People abusing the trucks that the company owns compared to how they treat their own truck. I've seen 2500 series and 3500 series Chevy, Ford and Ram's beat to shiiit in 3 months. That's the difference between someone that bought and paid for their $50,000.00 truck and someone that drives a truck they didn't have to pay for.

Show me someone's personal vehicle that has holes in it and then we'll talk.
Or how about any of you Chevy or Ram owners that would let me dump a load of blocks into your $50,000.00 truck with a loader raise your hand.

I wouldn't place many bets on Don's experience. I get the feeling he'd rather walk than ride in a FoMoCo product.

for some prospective:
Ford testing aluminum beds

If a mining company, utility company, and construction company survived with aluminum beds, I'd think the local Parks and wildlife guys could make it work as well. But let's be honest, who really 'loves' their stripped down base level work truck anyhow?

FWIW, My sis and BIL's 2017 F350 has carried their truck camper on a 15K mile cross country trip pulling their Jeep, and the aluminum bed didn't fall off even one time on the trip, can you believe it?!?

02 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4, prodigy and equalizer
07 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
07 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed, Hauls @$$
and no payments

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t discount the new 6.0 GM trucks just yet. Seems to me that in the side by side comparisons/towing tests the 6.0 has held up very well next to the Ram 6.4 and the Ford 6.2.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Tow Vehicle- 2008 F150, SuperCrew XLT, 2wd, 4.6 (248 HP, 294 lb ft tq)
Pro Series 550 Round bar hitch
Great pickup truck!

dugwms

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, we spent yesterday looking at trucks. Drove a Ram 2500 and 3500 and a Chevy 2500HD. The ride was the best on the Chevy but the power of the Hemi was seriously impressive. When we left the lot with the Chevy, I kept checking the parking brake to make sure it wasn't set. It seemed seriously down on power compared to the Hemi 6.4 in the 2500 and 3500. The Ram trucks had 3.73 rears and the Chevy was 4.10 so it wasn't a gearing issue. That Hemi was impressive.

travelnman

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever truck you go with keep gas prices in mind. They are going up with this new administration's plans for repairing roads and everything else. Some who think the time has come for a gas tax increase like tolls also and are pushing the states to get involved in helping rip up the roads and replace them. All this is going to cost billions and guess where they will get the money, no one seems to care that many of us can not afford this so they will probably end up with nice shiny new highways with electronic tolls that no one uses. We accidentally ended up on a toll road near Denver. We were the only ones on it except for a couple of other out of state lost souls. The fancy collection system was impressive almost worth getting lost except grabbing my wallet was not fun with all the seat belts to unhook and hook every twenty miles. This new toll road was bright and shiny almost like no one every used it! We have a 04 Suburban it does well except in mountains where you need 1st gear and then the locals pile up behind you using sign language to describe your effort to climb the hill. We are going to use this suburban until it has a heart attack then put an end to decades of camping as the new tow vehicles are not worth the kids college accounts or our 401K. I think if every congressmen and the president were not so hyped on raising the gas tax we might consider an older Suburban or Yukon Denali but those old giants burned a lot of gas so your caught between a rock and a hard place. Maybe diesel should be considered I know we will be looking at hybrids and electrics. One of those should take care of our needs until the Feds figure out how to tax these new 50mpg vehicles, wish we could find one that tows 7,200 lbs maybe some day!

* This post was edited 02/12/18 05:20am by travelnman *

Samsonsworld

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

I wouldn't place many bets on Don's experience. I get the feeling he'd rather walk than ride in a FoMoCo product.

for some prospective:
Ford testing aluminum beds

If a mining company, utility company, and construction company survived with aluminum beds, I'd think the local Parks and wildlife guys could make it work as well. But let's be honest, who really 'loves' their stripped down base level work truck anyhow?

FWIW, My sis and BIL's 2017 F350 has carried their truck camper on a 15K mile cross country trip pulling their Jeep, and the aluminum bed didn't fall off even one time on the trip, can you believe it?!?

Had a guy arguing Ford was having trouble with their aluminum frames bending this weekend. Haters going to hate. [emoticon]

Powerdude

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any one of the GMC/Ford/Ram heavy duty trucks I'm sure would do that you are asking of them.

Drive each one, and see how each of them feel.

As for the whole steel vs. aluminum bed thing, that's just worthless marketing right now. Aluminum may or may not be the cat's meow, but we won't really know how it will hold up for another 5-7 years of real world testing by customers.

As for dents in the bed, anybody can put a dent in the bed. If they really cared about the company equipment, the company would have at least put a half-inch plywood covering on the bed, or paid to have a bedliner put in.

Cheap way to avoid dents.

It pretty much shows that neither the owner nor the operator give a rat's behind about their equipment. Both are to blame, IMHO.

2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Starting the new truck hunt
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS